Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loucifer

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
London
I see several posts from UK members who want Apple pay. I understand NFC is widespread already there.

Can you (or any UK member) think of any UK (or EU, if applicable) bank regulations that would prevent apple pay?

I'd hate to see a hold up like the iTunes Radio delay happen to you all.

I'm pretty sure it is just a case of getting agreements drawn out with banks, and that, I gather, takes time. It is the usual procedure followed by Apple and many other companies around the world to start with the domestic market, and we are just being impatient. It is just a little frustrating to read about the apparent poor implementation of NFC in the US, when here, and in other European countries, seems more widespread. But we'll get there. #

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I actually have, though you keep ignoring me. You've made the claim that MCX will be able to lean on the fact that CurrentC can reach a wider audience. I don't find that to be true as I've stated above.

As for some of your other points, I don't agree - I think giving your bank account to PayPal or the utility company is different than giving it to a retailer who plans to sell your personal data collected to marketers.

I already stated that this was a known goal of the MCX consortium.

With the Target and Home Depot breaches, you don't think people would be more concerned giving their SSN and Bank Accounts to retailers? There's no protection or oversight if something does happen like there is on a CC.

Plus, at least for me, the companies I pay via EFT/Auto-Debit already have most of my personal information anyways. These retailers don't (and shouldn't).

I'm not a paranoid person at all. I probably fall on the "don't care" side most of the time. I can't imagine I'm part of the paranoid minority this time either.

Until now, no, you did not.

I hear an awful lot of exaggeration going on here. You and everyone else gives out their personal information to any number of retailers. If you call your cell provider, what are they going to need from you as a form of identity verification? The last four of your SSN of course, and I don't hear anyone being bent out of shape about that. All those other companies have your personal information already because you gave it to them. You are trying to create a distinction where there is no real difference.

Some of the details of CurrentC are still unknown obviously, but I would expect the MCX payment system to need your bank and identity information, not every single retailer you buy something from. They want to keep track of your loyalty credits, which most of them are already doing with your phone number. I personally hate these loyalty programs, but they are pervasive now because most customers don't seem to mind this kind of tracking or giving reatilers their phone numbers.

I don't know why you keep bringing up the hacking of Target or any other retailer's customer records. This kind of thing is always going to happen. The hackers are going to go after the places where the valuables are stored.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'll just add that fortunately or unfortunately - for the most part - once a major retail institution has a breach, they are less likely to have another.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm pretty sure it is just a case of getting agreements drawn out with banks, and that, I gather, takes time. It is the usual procedure followed by Apple and many other companies around the world to start with the domestic market, and we are just being impatient. It is just a little frustrating to read about the apparent poor implementation of NFC in the US, when here, and in other European countries, seems more widespread. But we'll get there. #

Yeah. Many international banks + Visa have already said they are working on having it avail in 2015. Once this happens, the need/use of NFC will become much much more apparent and *hopefully* become standard around the globe.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Until now, no, you did not.

I've already said what I said above in other posts. Maybe not in this thread....I'll admit I'm engaged in multiple conversations on this topic. Might have been mixed up.

I hear an awful lot of exaggeration going on here. You and everyone else gives out their personal information to any number of retailers. If you call your cell provider, what are they going to need from you as a form of identity verification? The last four of your SSN of course, and I don't hear anyone being bent out of shape about that. All those other companies have your personal information already because you gave it to them. You are trying to create a distinction where there is no real difference.

Not really. Yes, I give my cell phone company my SSN because they require it for me to have service. Not really any choice. I also give out more personal info to those who issue me lines of credit (though generally that info goes through a bank backing the credit) or utilities. Generally, we're talking recurring services. These are the things I pay through EFT - obviously because they are recurring.

I've never had to give a retailer anything more than a CC. They may ask for ID, but unless the cashier has a great memory they don't take down or store my DL#. I've never given a retailer (not service company, we're talking retailers like those that are part of MCX) my SSN, bank account information or DL# for storing. And I never would. Really the main reason being, why would they need it? I don't want to be marketed/marketed to using my personal info.

I don't see why I should have to start now. Especially as many of these retailers are being breached and customer data is being stolen. Heck, front page on Macrumors today, MCX has customer email addresses stolen. Not a good look.

Apple Pay on the other hand is taking information I already gave Apple (my CC info) and using it in a more secure, easy to use payment method.

There is a distinction. If you choose not to see it or ignore it, that's your business. But I give out my personal info (again, SSN, Bank Account, DL#) to as few businesses as possible. These are usually businesses that are providing recurring services. Retailers are a different animal.

Some of the details of CurrentC are still unknown obviously, but I would expect the MCX payment system to need your bank and identity information, not every single retailer you buy something from. They want to keep track of your loyalty credits, which most of them are already doing with your phone number. I personally hate these loyalty programs, but they are pervasive now because most customers don't seem to mind this kind of tracking or giving reatilers their phone numbers.

I don't know why you keep bringing up the hacking of Target or any other retailer's customer records. This kind of thing is always going to happen. The hackers are going to go after the places where the valuables are stored.

MCX IS a group of retailers (including Target and the like). I give the "app" that information, those retailers will have access. From what I read they want to use the information to target marketing as well.

I bring up the Target hacking because they are a member of this group. And Apple Pay helps insulate me from things like that (if an Apple Pay retailer is hacked, all the hacker gets is the tokened device ID....not my CC#).

As opposed to me giving MORE of my information to the retailer, Apple Pay simply does a better job at insulating the information I already do give.

Does that sum it up enough for you? You don't have to agree with me. I couldn't care less. You're free to join up and give whatever info you want. I won't.

Not to mention the whole process seems so convoluted and inconvenient I'd just rather pay with my old fashioned credit card.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not really. Yes, I give my cell phone company my SSN because they require it for me to have service. Not really any choice. I also give out more personal info to those who issue me lines of credit (though generally that info goes through a bank backing the credit) or utilities. Generally, we're talking recurring services. These are the things I pay through EFT - obviously because they are recurring.

This is the distinction without a different to which I am referring. You seem to quite desperately want me be saying that the two systems aren't different, or that their merits are the same, but that is not even remotely the point I am making and I have repeatedly said otherwise. So your response is mainly a non sequitur. I give up on that account alone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is the distinction without a different to which I am referring. You seem to quite desperately want me be saying that the two systems aren't different, or that their merits are the same, but that is not even remotely the point I am making and I have repeatedly said otherwise. So your response is mainly a non sequitur. I give up on that account alone.

Huh? I couldn't care less what you say or think. I'm just stating why I see a difference between service providers and retailers and why I think CurrentC is a poor alternative to Apple Pay (and even Google Wallet).

That's it. I'm not sure where you're trying to go with it. Here are my main points:

(1) CurrentC is a convoluted, inconvenient process as outlined so far (its in beta testing and could change).

(2) Apple Pay is extremely customer friendly and simple to use. Google Wallet also was pretty easy to use the one time I tried it lol.

(3) Apple Pay takes the existing information they already get from me and further secures it in a mobile payment system that is better/more secure than just my CC with all the benefits of paying with my CC (fraud protection, rewards programs).

(4) CurrentC is asking for information I don't normally, and don't want, to give to retailers for the purpose of bypassing CC fees opening me up to potential identity theft and the marketing of my info. Not to mention I don't have the fraud protection and loyalty programs on my bank account that I get through my CC.

If you don't understand those 4 points, I've got nothing else for you. That's all I'm trying to convey.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Obviously, but at least now you've admitted it. Now we are completely done.

Lol, so I explain my points and you tell me I'm overly invested in trying to get you to say or think a certain thing.

I tell you I'm not (through the comment you quoted above), then very concisely explain my points again and this is the response?

Have a great evening.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
That's nothing compared to how many customers CVS lost to the stop sale of tobacco products. Trust me CVS isn't worried about NFC sales loss lol

They aren't worried about the bad press and leaving customers of BOTH the cigarettes and NFC? Just saying, they have market analysts coming to me asking my analysis of their market where I live and why they are FAILING and should or should not pull out.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
They aren't worried about the bad press and leaving customers of BOTH the cigarettes and NFC? Just saying, they have market analysts coming to me asking my analysis of their market where I live and why they are FAILING and should or should not pull out.

CVS got great press for leaving the cigarette business. They're positioning the business as a health-first pharmacy/health care provider, especially with the walk-in clinics in some branches.

I don't love their decision to disable NFC, and I'm not at all a fan of CurrentC, but CVS has otherwise been moving in positive directions.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
CVS got great press for leaving the cigarette business. They're positioning the business as a health-first pharmacy/health care provider, especially with the walk-in clinics in some branches.

I don't love their decision to disable NFC, and I'm not at all a fan of CurrentC, but CVS has otherwise been moving in positive directions.

Indeed, they got great press, and their positioning is that they aren't just a convenience store/place to get scripts. They (because of Caremark) are a healthcare destination.

I would never equate a CVS with simply a doctor's office or hospital - but neither of those places would sell cigarettes - and that's precisely why CVS stopped selling them.

laurgaybrown

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Apple should change their rap about Apple Pay

I heard a Baby Boomer asking about the Apple Pay feature in the Pasadena Apple store yesterday. They wondered if their credit card number was secure. The young helper said that the number wasn't stored in the phone, but when asked, "Where is it, then?" he answered it was in "a secure area" of the phone that couldn't be hacked. This seemed to result in an immediate fail and refusal to participate on the part of the customer. A better way to say it might be "embedded" into the phone. The words "secure area" indicate something that could be breached.:eek:

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I heard a Baby Boomer asking about the Apple Pay feature in the Pasadena Apple store yesterday. They wondered if their credit card number was secure. The young helper said that the number wasn't stored in the phone, but when asked, "Where is it, then?" he answered it was in "a secure area" of the phone that couldn't be hacked. This seemed to result in an immediate fail and refusal to participate on the part of the customer. A better way to say it might be "embedded" into the phone. The words "secure area" indicate something that could be breached.:eek:

The actual credit card number is not stored anywhere on the iPhone. An encrypted token that the card issuer can use to determine the card number is stored in the secure enclave in the NFC chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.