Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
I've pretty much hated nest since I had issue with protect at the beginning of the year. If I hadn't dump some much cash into the devices I would have dumped them already. I will probably move to Honeywell eventually.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I've pretty much hated nest since I had issue with protect at the beginning of the year. If I hadn't dump some much cash into the devices I would have dumped them already. I will probably move to Honeywell eventually.

I'm at home right now as the furnace guys install a new furnace.. was so tempted with the NEST but heard so many bad stories about them and the Protect. I'm going with the Daikin comfornet system which is rebranded honeywell I think. Solid background and good reviews. Also will go with SmartThings for a home automation hub to connect FirstAlert smoke and C02 detectors at a cheaper price.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The delivery content network only affected 40,000 users that's hardly broken. If you got The full file it worked perfectly. you guys are being ridiculous with the sensationalism

If after installing the update on your phone, your phone didn't work, it's still broken. It doesn't matter how the update got to your phone. Broken is broken. Apple ****ed up.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
If apple owned this company you'd be drooling all over it. Revolutionary! Magical!

If apple owned it you'd say it was nothing special. Sheep! Stupid hypothetical situations to prove stupid points!

----------

Oh brother! :rolleyes: Go back and look at Nest threads before they were acquired by Google. We praised the product, even hoped Apple might buy them. Then Google buys them. The product doesn't change at all. But now it's garbage.

Meanwhile, go back and look at Beats threads before they were acquired by Apple. We bashed Beats to no end even as rumors started piling up that Apple might be buying Beats. Then Apple does buy them. The product doesn't change. But now it's becoming some of the best headphones available.

What does that say about us?

It says one person has an opinion and a completely different unrelated person has another opinion.

What does it say about you that you try to equate the two?

Hilariously enough a lot of people here still hate beats...that really sucked for all the "wait till apple does it then it becomes magic" trolls that post here. Of course they don't talk about it much anymore

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well this is definitely the downside of automatic app updates. :mad:

Now I just have to go downstairs to change the thermostat like some kind of poor, technophobic idiot.

/sarcasm

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
WTF is going on at Nest?

After they acquired Dropcam, their iOS app switched from doing its job well to a buggy PoS that couldn't even handle geofencing properly. (The latest release from about three days ago appears to have geofencing finally working again, but who knows if they will once again break it in the next release.)

Now we see the same thing for another of their apps?

Do they just have no quality control?
Or did some bright manager force some edict like "We're going to have ONE code base written in Java, then sent through this automatic 'Java to Objective-C translator' and we're seeing the inevitable result of this heavy handed 'strategic' restructuring of the code?"

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I guess I was not clear since you are the second to comment in this way. No, I meant it as the code is broken accidently on purpose to get people to move to Android. :eek::rolleyes::cool::p;)

Maybe, but if they make crappy apps, chances are I won't want their crappy OS. lol.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Meanwhile, go back and look at Beats threads before they were acquired by Apple. We bashed Beats to no end even as rumors started piling up that Apple might be buying Beats. Then Apple does buy them. The product doesn't change. But now it's becoming some of the best headphones

Here we go again....

I'm sure you are able to link to a thread where the consensus is that "Beats are some of the best headphones", thanks in advance.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The last thing I need is to have trouble-shooting go beyond computers and into other realms such as home appliances. I have only so much time to twiddle with these kinds of things and be placed on hold, searching forums for clues, learning tips and tricks, the works.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Everyone realizes that there is a website you can also use for the time being?

What I hate is the forced updates to the Nest. I'm tempted to take it off wifi for the winter which sucks.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yeah. Autoupdated. ****.

Crashes every time. If the problem is so widespread, you have to wonder what kind of testing they did on the app before releasing it. None?

EDIT: My gut tells me that they tested this with the new Nest firmware. Since nobody has a Nest running the new firmware, everybody's app crashes. Fix this by updating everybody's Nest firmware.

Last edited:

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Yup it's broke

Yup mine crashes too on 6Plus

Mixed experiences with NEST. One thing that really sucks is they push software to your thermostat. At least I wish they would give you the option to accept the autoupdate or not. They seem to really lack effective testing.

----------

Everyone realizes that there is a website you can also use for the time being?

What I hate is the forced updates to the Nest. I'm tempted to take it off wifi for the winter which sucks.

It's a horrible policy they have. Broke min at remote rental location with their automatic updates which for some idiotic reason they sent during the polar vortex last year.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Growing Number of Users Report Crashing Issue with Latest Nest for iOS Update...

Yup mine crashes too on 6Plus

Mixed experiences with NEST. One thing that really sucks is they push software to your thermostat. At least I wish they would give you the option to accept the autoupdate or not. They seem to really lack effective testing.

----------

It's a horrible policy they have. Broke min at remote rental location with their automatic updates which for some idiotic reason they sent during the polar vortex last year.

Seriously 4.0 was a mess. They are just inviting lawsuits. They should only do updates twice a year, May and September.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
News at 11:
Family of five freeze to death when Smart Home thermostat crashes....

Simple things are getting too complex.

Family of five freeze to death after their car breaks down on country road and they can't get a cell signal because an update broke their phone.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
That's weird. There is a version 4.4.1 for Nest Mobile listed in iTunes on my PC showing as an Update, but I don't see it in the App Store on my iPhone.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
This underscores the importance of ALL software/firmware updates being OPT-IN instead of forced or automatic.

Granted, these problems are with Nest's iOS App. And it's easy to make your iOS App updates OPT-IN only (by manually picking and choosing which ones to update). But Nest is about to send out a firmware update to ALL Nest thermostats in customer's homes. Nest generated an email about it about a week ago. The update will be AUTOMATIC. The customer is now allowed to OPT-OUT. Well, the customer CAN OPT-OUT by disconnecting his Nest from his WiFi network, but that disconnect would have to be permanent and then you'd lose a bunch of features.

I've been complaining over on Nest's community forum because I don't want Nest to update the firmware on my Nest. I don't want the new features, I don't want the new menu system, I don't want my Nest changed in any way.

Well, that's not true... If Nest would release a firmware update that caused the thermostat to shut off the A/C (or heat) when the SET temperature is reached, THAT would be an updated I love to have. But, no, Nest INSISTS on running the A/C (or heat) for a full degree to degree and a half BEYOND the set temperature.

Example: Nest is set to 73 degrees. A/C comes on when temperature gets to 74 degrees. A/C runs until Nest shows temperature of 72 degrees. That's a two degree spread when I SET IT for 73 degrees!

But it's actually worse than that. The Nest has a range within each temp setting. So, if I set it to the middle of the 73 degree range (73.5), it doesn't kick on until it gets to the END of the 74 degree range (74.9?) and runs the A/C until it's at the BEGINNING of the 72 degree range (72.1?). So, the spread (72.1 to 74.9) is actually closer to a THREE degree range!

Very very annoying! Every previous digital thermostat I've owned didn't have a range. If you set it to 73 the A/C would kick on the moment it indicated 74 degrees and shut off the moment it indicated 73 degrees again.

Nest's "green" features may work for some people, but they are annoying as all get out for retired folks like my wife and me. It was a HUGE mistake for us to spend the $249 on a Nest. For us, the company has become the epitome of "don't give a crap what the customer thinks, we know best"!

All they have to do is give us the OPTION to set the range ourselves. Give us the OPTION to prevent firmware updates. Give the customer a CHOICE!

Mark

umm duh it like all modern thermostats nests have a range before they kick in and cut off its not good to have a 0 degree spread your AC / furnace will wear much quicker due to the constant turning on and off the typical spread it 1-3 degrees.. on top of that if i am not mistaken it also takes in to account the type of heat/AC you have and tracks the "time to temp" this allows the algorrthms to adjust to be more efficient etc whereby adjusting the spread when it turns off/on..

PS i would suggest you stop complaining to nest and get a dum thermostat as it seems thats what you want any how i look forward to updates features etc thats why i got one to begin with

PPS. i do agree with you about forced updated its not a good idea especially when dealing with someones heat in the winter should something go wrong it and the heat not work it can cause lots of damage to pipes etc... Eeek

Last edited:

dyjdy

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
This is expected. You don't sell out to Google because you care about the quality of your product.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
This is expected. You don't sell out to Google because you care about the quality of your product.

I expected this sort of thing. I had just bought their smoke alarm when they went to the dark side. It is still in its box. I disabled learning on the Nest and pretty much use it as a manual device now. I would not trust Google accessing any part of my network and as I can't put Little Snitch on the Nest it is off line.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Meanwhile, go back and look at Beats threads before they were acquired by Apple. We bashed Beats to no end even as rumors started piling up that Apple might be buying Beats. Then Apple does buy them. The product doesn't change. But now it's becoming some of the best headphones available.

What does that say about us?

Just in case my first reply did get lost: Can you show me a thread where the general consensus is that "Beats are some of the best headphones" or is there any other specific reason why you are not replying?

I'm beginning to feel that it says a lot about "you" as opposed to "us". Say hi to your scruffy friends :)

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
PS i would suggest you stop complaining to nest and get a dum thermostat as it seems thats what you want any how i look forward to updates features etc thats why i got one to begin with

I do have a "dumb thermostat". It's called a Nest!

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.