Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkim4007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all,
I have a Scarlet 2i4 USB audio interface that I'm using with a Macbook Pro (Retina Display) on OSX 10.8.5. It was working perfectly until earlier this week, I accidentally pulled the USB cord out without ejecting the device via Finder. Since then, it won't show up in Disk Utility or Finder and won't work at all. It does, however, show up in System Preferences (as an audio device) and in System Report.

I've tried restarting the computer several times, and I even reset the SMC once. It didn't work. Also, other external USB devices, such as my external hard drive, do show up in Disk Utility when plugged in - it's just this audio interface that is not showing up. What else can I try to fix the problem?

Thanks so much. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Isn't the Scarlett 2i4 just an audio device? And would show in the Sound pref pane as an input/output device, also in the Audio Midi setup utility?

I likely don't understand why you think that an audio interface would show in your Disk Utility (or show as a device in the finder)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I concur with DeltaMac's reply above.

Seems to me that the place the Scarlet -should- "show up" is in the Audio/MIDI Setup app.

Do you see it there?

jkim4007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
The Scarlett attaches via USB, and is ejected via Finder, and it was showing up in both Disk Utility and Finder before the hot swap.

It is showing up in Audio MIDI Setup and System Preferences, but nothing will input or playback through it anymore.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ It is showing up in Audio MIDI Setup and System Preferences, but nothing will input or playback through it anymore. ]]

What audio applications do you use?
Are you having the same problems in every one of them?

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
The Scarlett attaches via USB, and is ejected via Finder, and it was showing up in both Disk Utility and Finder before the hot swap.

It is showing up in Audio MIDI Setup and System Preferences, but nothing will input or playback through it anymore.

Well, the Scarlett is a AudioInterface via USB which will not be listed in disk utility (because it is no disk) and wont show in finder (because it is no disk)

I have a Scarlett 18i20 myself and it wont show up. A Audio interface you dont need to eject - no worries. Does Scarlett Mixcontrol show it?

Sure that what you saw in finder/disk utility wasnt the dmg for the mixcontrol software?

jkim4007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
My Scarlett doesn't use any MixControl software - it runs in class compliant mode (no drivers + no software required). I'm using iTunes (for playback testing), Garageband, and Audacity, and the Scarlett does not show up in any of them.

I am positive that it was the audio interface that showed up in Finder and Disk Utility before, especially since it also doubles as an external soundcard. Not sure why yours isn't showing up.

I'm starting to wonder if rapidly/accidentally plugging out the device (which is what seems to have caused the problem in the first place) may have damaged the USB cord. Is it possible for a device to show up in System Report but not in Disk Utility if the cord is damaged?

Thanks again for your help.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I am positive that it was the audio interface that showed up in Finder and Disk Utility before, especially since it also doubles as an external soundcard. Not sure why yours isn't showing up.

I'm still not sure why you think that an audio interface would show up in Disk Utility, despite that you say it "also doubles as an external soundcard" ??
An external soundcard is not a hardware or software function that would be supported through Disk Utility in any way.
There's no pure audio interface function that would be visible in any way in Disk Utility - that makes no sense at all. It's just not a storage device...
Now, if that interface included a storage device, then that would be different.

As an audio interface, it should be visible through Audio MIDI Setup, and probably as either an input, output, or both, in Sound pref pane.

The main question is that now it doesn't appear in Apps that also should support it directly, even if it didn't show up in a normal manner anywhere else.
Are your certain that there's no software that could be reinstalled, and it does all functions natively?
If you suspect the USB cable, and you haven't tried a different cable yet, be sure to do that as a test.
Just don't expect any fix to convert an audio interface into a device that would show up in Disk Utility - that just can't happen.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
My Scarlett doesn't use any MixControl software - it runs in class compliant mode (no drivers + no software required). I'm using iTunes (for playback testing), Garageband, and Audacity, and the Scarlett does not show up in any of them.

I'm starting to wonder if rapidly/accidentally plugging out the device (which is what seems to have caused the problem in the first place) may have damaged the USB cord. Is it possible for a device to show up in System Report but not in Disk Utility if the cord is damaged?

Thanks again for your help.

Yes I know the Scarletts run in class compliant mode the mixControl software is also no driver and not required to use it but it makes it easier.

I said if it shows up in Mixcontrol then the connection is there and the mac can communicate with it. It sounds like it changed its format. Look in Audio/MIDI setup if its still in 44100 hz or something different and what your applications want to use. You can use something else than 44100 but thats mostly the default for most soundcards.

And again the scarletts and any other audio interface wont show up in finder or disk utility. Disk utility even says in its name its for disks and formatting it has nothing todo with external sound cards.

If Audio/MIDI setup shows the interface, it still works.
look what stream formats you are using
"rapidly" disconnecting is nothing you have to fear about. Because its not there. Maybe the Scarlett lost its stream format setting which can happen (happend to mine while a firmware upgrade) You got there some terms mixed up with your devices which are harddrives. You can hotswap harddrives (well technically pulling the audio interface is a hotswap but today that does not hurt). Your external harddrives show up in disk utility because they are well - disks. And External Audio interface is well no disk. Finder does not show it either because it cant. Finder shows external disks - but no external peripherals - because finder is for files and not for Audio interfaces.

Just some extra thoughts:

If it shows in Audio/MIDI setup check what stream format it uses and check if it is activated for playback/input
It cant hurt to load MixControl and check if it opens and says your device is connected. It doesnt install any drivers and does not have to be opened to run the interface. You can even playback in itunes for example and check if the bars move in MixControl if anything "goes" to the interface. You can check if DAW 1 or DAW 1+2 is selected in one of the meters. Maybe the routing got messed up. DAW1 and DAW2 should be routed to Output ports 1 and 2 for your interface. With MixControl you can save the setting back to the Scarlett

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.