Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

File-sharing service Box today updated its app for iOS to version 3.5.0, bringing with a number of new features and usability enhancements. The app now features support for unlocking with Touch ID and a new widget in the Notification Center that allows users to quickly create Box Notes and recent files. Box for iOS is now fully optimized for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and also now contains in-folder search, a Favorites functionality, and more.

boxoct2014-800x468.jpg
What's New in Version 3.5.0
- Now use Box from your Today view in Notification Center to quickly and easily create Box Notes, view recent documents and more (requires iOS 8)
- Use your fingerprint to unlock the Box app at the touch of the home button with Touch ID (compatible devices only, requires iOS 8)
- Add files and folders to a Favorites list for easy access without having to download any data ahead of time with our new Favorites feature
- In-folder search capabilities
- Box Bookmarks are now accessible
- Support for previewing password protected Office and iWork files
- Automatic photo upload for Personal Pro subscribers and Enterprise users
- Additional stability improvements and bug fixes
Earlier this year, Box secretly filed for an IPO after seeing its valuation rise to $2 billion last year. However, the company was reported last month to be waiting until later in the year to start trading publicly, with "market volatillity" cited as a potential reason.

Box currently offers 10GB of personal storage to new users, and its iOS app can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Box for iOS Updated with Touch ID and iPhone 6 Support, Notification Center Widget

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Amazing. Box is a nice product and all but a 2B valuation? Seems like an awfully big stretch.

Nice adding touch though.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I remember Box. I downloaded it and signed up for the free space a while back but never used it.

I guess I must not be corporate enough for it. :(

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
For comparison, Dropbox updated their app over 3 weeks ago:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/20/dropbox-ios-touch-id-6-6-plus-support/

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Still much less than the WhatsApp acquisition (19B) and roughly the same as the Oculus Rift acquisition.

No my friend you are entirely correct. 2B to me is silly but 19B for WhatsAp is just absurd.

The OR is high too but at least that is a technology with the ability to make positive changes in real-world (limited) use cases that may alter the future oh how we integrate technology and lift.

WhatsAp and Box are essentially two more apps among a list of already crowded similar apps doing roughly the same function in one form or another. Some positives some negatives but essentially the same. I still believe the WhatsAp acquisition was a marketing grab by FB to harvest immense amounts of user data but that's another discussion for another day lol.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
who uses box anyways?

last year I signed when they temporarily offered 50GB for free. Nice to have just in case but agree that it doesn't get much use. I think a lot of these cloud storage sites are just a commodity. I don't see what's so unique about Box's service compared to other cloud storage sites. And they want to go public? I wouldn't invest in a commodity.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I do. I got the free 50GB for life last year and use it regularly.

File size limitation, which is imposed even on highest pricing tier, is a big turn off for me. Dropbox and many of its competitors have no such limitations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Box would be great if it weren't for the limitations.
Such as?

----------

Then why is this newsworthy? It appears to be a version bump for a single iOS app.
With introduction of some new features. A lot of different mainstream apps get coverage here and various blogs when some interesting or important new features are added in new versions or something important or big is changed, fixed, or even discovered. Nothing new or surprising here.

tcarpel

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Some fact-checking:

Box released version 3.4.0 with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus layout support on September 17th - the day iOS 8 was released. Version 3.5.0 had no effect on iPhone 6 layout.

Also, "camera upload" was introduced with version 3.5.0 of the Box app. See "Automatic photo upload for Personal Pro subscribers and Enterprise users" in the "What's new in this version" text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.