Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
so i ended up getting an ipad mini from ebay because i basically liked the black (slate gray) color so much more than space gray. heres what you need to know:

1. it has a chip & crack in it (see pics)
2. its a non-retina, wifi only, and supposedly works flawlessly (this is what the ebay seller said & has 100% rating)
3. i already have a smart cover that i got for free and is being unused (smart case? - whatever the leather one is that was sold by apple with the front & back cover, product red color)
4. i bought the ipad very spontaneously at the lowest asking price (i was the only bidder & got it for $130 + $8 shipping = $138) for the price, color, & since i had the unused case worth about $79.
5. i should get it by thurs or fri.

so, to conserve the glass cracking, should i:

a. put a cheap ebay chinese screen protector on it
b. put a zagg screen shield on it (or any one that uses the liquid for application)
c. put a tempered glass screen shield on it
d. something else - does anyone know the cheapest way to get the screen replaced (i probably couldnt do the DIY)

so, i feel like if i can live with the cracks (which seem to be out of the way), i will feel like i got an excellent deal. if i go the route of getting the screen replaced, i CANNOT spend more than $50, otherwise i would have spent MORE money to get a broken ipad & go thru the hassle of repairing it.

the only reason i want something on top of the cracked screen is to prevent further damage, keep glass pieces from falling off the tablet, and so that i can use my fibermesh stylus on the screen without worrying about it fraying up or getting caught on jagged glass pieces, etc.

i feel like i can use it as a "beater" ipad or a guest ipad & even gift it away later on to a family member in need. but i feel like i am gonna get the new ipad mini w max specs (128GB cellular black) after the announcement and put a lifeproof on it to use for my official life stuff.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 115
  • $_57-1.JPG
    $_57-1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 128

jtre1

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Since you are getting a new iPad. I would not recommend having the glass repaired since they typically run around 150 in my area. A wet install screen protector would be fine as long as you don't use copious amounts of water near the crack.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Since you are getting a new iPad. I would not recommend having the glass repaired since they typically run around 150 in my area. A wet install screen protector would be fine as long as you don't use copious amounts of water near the crack.

thanks, thats what i thought but i read somewhere else that it may not be a good idea. i guess i will have to wait & see if the chip looks like it cuts deep into the ipad mini or whatever.

asmith406

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
If you want to try the repair yourself I know Gadget Menders sells new glass for them for under $50. They have "how to" videos on their site as well so you could always watch the video and see if its something you think you could do.

ttran88

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
return it if possible. I've seen used iPad mini 2 with retina displays go for 200. So for an extra 60 bucks you get a 3 generation jump in processing power, a retina display, and an intact screen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.