Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

I have just noticed that the 'Command + Q' quit shortcut is not working on my macbook running snow leopard 10.6.8
The menubar still shows ⌘Q as the quit shortcut. ⌘W works as close window but not quit application.

I have checked all keyboard shortcuts in system preferences despite not changing them and have even pressed 'restore defaults' but that did not work.

Command⌘ Q still works on my Imac also running SL 10.6.8

I hope someone can help me sort this out.
Thanks

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
ok - have you tried a PRAM reset ?

How long since you checked disk permissions ?

Both worth trying

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Create a new non-admin user account (System Preferences > Users & Groups)

Login to new account.

Does cmd-Q show the same misbehavior there, or does it work correctly?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks for the replies

ok - have you tried a PRAM reset ?

How long since you checked disk permissions ?

Both worth trying

I have done a PRAM reset. I have also checked/repaired disk permissions and the only issues that I could see appeared to be with Java flash. This did not work either.

----------

Create a new non-admin user account (System Preferences > Users & Groups)

Login to new account.

Does cmd-Q show the same misbehavior there, or does it work correctly?

I tried this and Cmd + Q works under other users. Any ideas why and how to fix this. I can't think of any software that I have which would interfere with anything like this.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
]I tried this and Cmd + Q works under other users.[/B] Any ideas why and how to fix this. I can't think of any software that I have which would interfere with anything like this.

Well, that's a good first step. It means the problem is something specific to your user account. It could be any of various things. We need to narrow the field.

Next step:
Startup in Safe Mode.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

While running under your normal user account in Safe Mode, does cmd-Q work or not?

If it does, then the problem lies in some extension or login item you've added. You should turn them all off, startup in normal mode (i.e. not Safe Mode), then see if the problem stays fixed. If so, turn on your extensions or login items one by one until the problem recurs.

If Safe Mode doesn't fix the problem, then post again saying so, and I'll suggest something else to try.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Resolved

Well, that's a good first step. It means the problem is something specific to your user account. It could be any of various things. We need to narrow the field.

Next step:
Startup in Safe Mode.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

While running under your normal user account in Safe Mode, does cmd-Q work or not?

If it does, then the problem lies in some extension or login item you've added. You should turn them all off, startup in normal mode (i.e. not Safe Mode), then see if the problem stays fixed. If so, turn on your extensions or login items one by one until the problem recurs.

If Safe Mode doesn't fix the problem, then post again saying so, and I'll suggest something else to try.

Thankyou for your help. I have followed your suggestions and successfully resolved the issue.

I didn't narrow it down to the exact login item, however I deleted 3 unnecessary items:

* Cdock Helper
* SpeechSyntheisServer
* SurplusMeterAgent

I suspect it was the last one.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.