Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So I missed work because the phone alarm didn't ring and I can't get the phone to boot up even if I hold the volume up button. It won't even boot up when I hold home and sleep buttons.

I managed to get it into DFU mode even though the screen doesn't show it, iTunes detects it and says its in restore mode. I try to restore but keep getting error 4005 after maybe 5-10 mins of the process getting stuck on "waiting for iPhone" while the screen is finally on and an Apple logo and stationary circle loading indicator on screen.

Any ideas what to do? I hadn't installed anything new and things were running smooth. I was on 8.1 on 6 and had (activator, protean, cccontrols, eclipse)

Tried so far:
- Restart mac
- Try Windows
- Use different usb cable
- DFU mode

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
So I missed work because the phone alarm didn't ring and I can't get the phone to boot up even if I hold the volume up button. It won't even boot up when I hold home and sleep buttons.

I managed to get it into DFU mode even though the screen doesn't show it, iTunes detects it and says its in restore mode. I try to restore but keep getting error 4005 after maybe 5-10 mins of the process getting stuck on "waiting for iPhone" while the screen is finally on and an Apple logo and stationary circle loading indicator on screen.

Any ideas what to do? I hadn't installed anything new and things were running smooth. I was on 8.1 on 6 and had (activator, protean, cccontrols, eclipse)

Tried so far:
- Restart mac
- Try Windows
- Use different usb cable
- DFU mode

That happened to me after a day of being stable and many manual resets. Outa the blue apple logo on screen wouldn't go away and errors trying to restore.

Don't know if you're on wifi but I had to reset modem and plugged my computer directly into the modem and it worked.

I forget what error I was getting but only thing that worked was dfu restore with the MacBook pro plugged directly into comcast modem.

Don't know why my iPhone doesn't like my AirPort Extreme anymore lol...

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That happened to me after a day of being stable and many manual resets. Outa the blue apple logo on screen wouldn't go away and errors trying to restore.

Don't know if you're on wifi but I had to reset modem and plugged my computer directly into the modem and it worked.

I forget what error I was getting but only thing that worked was dfu restore with the MacBook pro plugged directly into comcast modem.

Don't know why my iPhone doesn't like my AirPort Extreme anymore lol...

I guess it's somewhat reassuring to hear you managed to fix it. Everything I try leads to error 4005 on my laptop on Mac and Windows. I was almost sure the problem was the phone since it always led to the same error but I guess it could be the laptop.

Going to try a friends laptop in a bit. Can you give me more details on what happened with you? For me the screen won't turn on no matter what UNTIL I go into recovery mode and iTunes starts trying to restore it and gives me the error. After that the screen won't turn off unless I try to put it in recovery mode again.

Edit: using a different Mac I got the same error when trying to restore. I can kinda tell it's not going to work because nothing is happening on the phone. I get the Apple and loading indicator but the loading indicator doesn't spin at all while on the Mac it says "waiting for iPhone" for like 5 mins.

Last edited:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Sorry didn't get back to you slept all day.. You get it resolved?

I think my issue was that it was hella windy out and my wifi would get interrupted for a millisecond making the restore fail...

Hope you get it sorted out and fast times ticking away towards 8.1.1 #.

Btw its been a long time good to see you here again wish it was for a better reason. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.