Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
Hello everyone. My phone has the margins of the screen brighter than the rest of the screen (see attached pic). Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    838.1 KB · Views: 6,255

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Normal, yes. You should see the backlight bleed on my iPad 4....

But if you are unhappy try contacting Apple and see if they will swap your iPhone.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
I replaced my older iPhones and i got refurbished ones...
Also, the home button is not that fixed and moves a little when i tap it (not press it)...

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If you are within your return window then return the device and repurchase a new one. If not got to the Genius Bar and they will replace you with a service unit which can be new or refurb.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know if it's a common thing. I'm not too keen on replacing or returning it, because it's complicated (i don't have to travel to another country to do it).

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Thats relatively nothing. My 4S was terrible. you could see the LED spotlights.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's more noticeable on the left side of the phone. I fear also that I'll get a worse one if I return it...it happened to me with the 5s. I had it in and out of service for more than 2 months. The more concerning bit is the home button, because it seams a little bit loose.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
That is so slight of a bleed. I worry you will go to all the trouble and get a worst phone for the efforts.

I just got my display fixed yesterday because my home button was wobbly and now it is fine. I wanted a replacement model but they said they had to try to fix it before they replaced it so they replaced thre display and my display has bleeding now...it didn't have it before. Should I go and try to get a replacement or just stick with the one I have?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,096

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
If you guys read my post from above, I would like to know if this is normal because I got my display fixed and before it had no backlight bleed but now it does after the "fix". Do you think they would replace the phone or at least fix it?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have the same issue as OP. It's only noticeable on a totally black screen. It has not bothered me yet, but, if it starts to, I will pay a visit to a store here.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I have the same issue as OP. It's only noticeable on a totally black screen. It has not bothered me yet, but, if it starts to, I will pay a visit to a store here.

Well, I took my iPhone to the Apple Store today because of my backlight bleed and the guy went and opened up the display and said it was NORMAL after comparing it to other 6 Plus's. I was ticked off and he said that if there were and other problems to come back. But this guy was from India and he did not want to help me or notice my problem at all. He think he knows everything and everything's perfect and nothing needs to be replaced or fixed because it'll waste the supply! When I get another chance I'm gonna go to another Apple Store and see if I can get it fixed.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hello everyone. My phone has the margins of the screen brighter than the rest of the screen (see attached pic). Is this normal?

I too have ever so slightly backlight bleeding at same exact spot on my Plus, it isnt really too bad at all, on black screens it prettt much looks uniform, but there is a little bit that I do see....wonder if overtime as the backlight gets used if itll even out or slightly dim there, kind of bothers me, but I think my case is lighter then yours, not gonna try and go replace it though because the next one could be worse or have other issues (my Plus is flawless in every single other way)

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I too have ever so slightly backlight bleeding at same exact spot on my Plus, it isnt really too bad at all, on black screens it prettt much looks uniform, but there is a little bit that I do see....wonder if overtime as the backlight gets used if itll even out or slightly dim there, kind of bothers me, but I think my case is lighter then yours, not gonna try and go replace it though because the next one could be worse or have other issues (my Plus is flawless in every single other way)

Tell me how it goes! I'm disappointed when I tried to replace it but is this backlight bleed normal?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Tell me how it goes! I'm disappointed when I tried to replace it but is this backlight bleed normal?

well i am not gonna try the replacement game right now, my Plus is pretty much flawless and the backlight is quite minor.., as for backlight bleeding being normal? Not all LCD's are going to be perfect, LCD uniformity is pretty hard to nail down, most LCD displays do exhibit some form of little light leakage and bleed, it is not as common on the Plus and 6 now due to photo alligned UV light displays that go into these new phones, but it still can occur, getting a LCD display to exhibit absolutely no light bleed and leakage is hard, and a feat in itself, (the Plus and 6 do seem to have the best LCD uniformity ever according to Displaymate so)

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
well i am not gonna try the replacement game right now, my Plus is pretty much flawless and the backlight is quite minor.., as for backlight bleeding being normal? Not all LCD's are going to be perfect, LCD uniformity is pretty hard to nail down, most LCD displays do exhibit some form of little light leakage and bleed, it is not as common on the Plus and 6 now due to photo alligned UV light displays that go into these new phones, but it still can occur, getting a LCD display to exhibit absolutely no light bleed and leakage is hard, and a feat in itself, (the Plus and 6 do seem to have the best LCD uniformity ever according to Displaymate so)

Oh thanks! What advice do you give to me who tried a replacement yesterday and the Genius told me at the Apple Store after looking at it and comparing it to others that it is normal? My backlight bleed is minimal and I barely notice it during normal usage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 365

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Oh thanks! What advice do you give to me who tried a replacement yesterday and the Genius told me at the Apple Store after looking at it and comparing it to others that it is normal? My backlight bleed is minimal and I barely notice it during normal usage.

Some display units may exhibit it, some may not, thats the thing with LCD technology, it is not 100% perfect and this is where OLED has advantages in having perfect screen uniformity and no backlight(OLED has issues of its own too though)

Id say just keep it, nd just relax...slowly overtime too itll go away the backlight as we start to use our phones even more I believe, or itll just dim enough to the point where it is gone eventually....if you truly want to get your phone completly replaced , its really hit or miss with the Genius's, you could of told them, "hey this issue just started developing and im afraid itll get worse over time," etc etc.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Some display units may exhibit it, some may not, thats the thing with LCD technology, it is not 100% perfect and this is where OLED has advantages in having perfect screen uniformity and no backlight(OLED has issues of its own too though)

Id say just keep it, nd just relax...slowly overtime too itll go away the backlight as we start to use our phones even more I believe, or itll just dim enough to the point where it is gone eventually....if you truly want to get your phone completly replaced , its really hit or miss with the Genius's, you could of told them, "hey this issue just started developing and im afraid itll get worse over time," etc etc.

I see...thanks for the advice! I called the Apple Store I live nearest to where I talked with the Genius yesterday and didn't want to get me a replacement and the representative there said that the Genius should've done more about it and that I should go to the Apple Store and the put the faulty screen on my iPhone and ask for a replacement even though it is minor backlight bleed.

I have three months since the "repair" I had a week ago so I will go to the Apple Store that "fixed" my iPhone and ask for a replacement.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014

Okay so I took my "fixed" iPhone with the minimal backlight bleed and they replaced it with a new. Problem is that after using it for 15 min, I noticed a price of dirt or dust in between the glass and lcd. I took it back to the Apple Store and they replaced the display (all this under warranty) but now my backlight bleed seems worse. I think I'll just keep it as my device seems to be flawless in every other way...I'll post a picture of the backlight later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.