Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors' FAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Dear friends,
I have an iPhone 6 Plus uploaded at 8.1. Is possible to uninstall preinstalled applications (like Safari)?

MacRumors' FAN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Is possible to uninstall preinstalled applications (like Safari) on iPhone 6 Plus?

Dear friends,
I have an iPhone 6 Plus uploaded at 8.1. Is possible to uninstall preinstalled applications (like Safari)?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Nope. No way to get rid of safari, mail, or any of the other base apple apps.

You can get substitutes for every one of them that may work better though.

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
I believe you will find that not possible, since Safari updates come with new iOS update. If Safari isn't working you might fix it by doing a restore. In the past doing that worked for me.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Why the hell would You want to do that?

Easy. Why should we be required to keep apps on our devices that we never, ever use? Some, like Stocks, I've never once opened since my first iPhone in 2007. Others, like Reminders, Calendar, and Notes, I've found replacements for that are significant upgrades over Apple's versions. With iOS 8, Apple saw fit to add Podcasts, Tips, and iBooks as mandatory rather than optional downloads; more bloatware that's of zero use to some people.

Unfortunately, there's no way to remove any of these. If you use them, great, but if not, all you can do is toss them into a folder you never open and pretend they don't exist.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I believe you can "hide" Safari using Settings - General - Restrictions but I haven't played with doing that for some time (but the Restrictions panel is still in settings)

GmDude66

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
PA, USA
Dear friends,

Not possible. The reason those applications can't be deleted is because there are other references throughout the operating system to them. Kind of like Windows and Internet Explorer.

You may not use the apps, but other settings/apps hook into them.

Put them into a folder.

RafixPhoenix

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2013
I hate how on ios 8 it came with some additional pre-installed apps like podcasts, ibooks, etc. I never use them and don't like that they take up storage space, even if it's only a little. Hope Apple doesn't go the Samsung route.

1988crw@

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
kansas city
upload_2017-8-3_9-4-12.png

[doublepost=1501769400][/doublepost]if you are having issues suddenly with your Iph (i have a 5s) it is the update from iOS area not your ph or your service...
try to uninstall the Safari...its real simple if you follow the earlier steps, on Step 5 just slide the Green lighted oval button Left...
than uninstall Face Book(they screwed up the update ,not allowing for FB or Safari, so you have to uninstall)... than do the soft reset by holding (older ph like mine) top button that turns off the ph at the same time you hold the button you use for SERI(Sustainable Electronics Recycling International)... do not let go until you see the Apple logo ... that should update your ph properly ,or clear it of crap ... than reinstall Safari and FB and hopefully your battery life should go back to normal...
HOPE this helps ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.