Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Purchased my Airport Extreme about a year or two ago. Model A1408.
It worked great for awhile and then something happened, to be honest, I have no idea what happened. One day I was no longer able to get online through my router. I am currently using Comcast modem. For weeks I tried calling Comcast to help me but they can only help so much. :confused:

All I want to do is connect online using my router. I spent about 100.00+ for this router and I want to get good use out of it! :mad:

I have two problems, when trying to connect to my "network name" it tells me that I do not have a DNS address and the connection is "disconnected" (when clicking on the globe in Airport Utility). However, the network name is showing up and the green light is there. So, I know without a doubt the internet is on.
This is all foreign to me. Why do I need a DNS address, now? What happened to the one I was using previously? Did Yosemite OS X or Comcast removed something?

Please help me.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Purchased my Airport Extreme about a year or two ago. Model A1408.
It worked great for awhile and then something happened, to be honest, I have no idea what happened. One day I was no longer able to get online through my router. I am currently using Comcast modem. For weeks I tried calling Comcast to help me but they can only help so much. :confused:

All I want to do is connect online using my router. I spent about 100.00+ for this router and I want to get good use out of it! :mad:

I have two problems, when trying to connect to my "network name" it tells me that I do not have a DNS address and the connection is "disconnected" (when clicking on the globe in Airport Utility). However, the network name is showing up and the green light is there. So, I know without a doubt the internet is on.
This is all foreign to me. Why do I need a DNS address, now? What happened to the one I was using previously? Did Yosemite OS X or Comcast removed something?

Please help me.

Please post what modem you are using. Also, you may have luck by factory restoring the settings of the Extreme rather than messing with the existing configuration. Sometimes modem configurations change and the Extreme is not properly configured for the change (e.g. a modem going into or out of bridge mode). Try doing a reset and let us know as AirPort Utility should suggest the proper settings.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Please post what modem you are using. Also, you may have luck by factory restoring the settings of the Extreme rather than messing with the existing configuration. Sometimes modem configurations change and the Extreme is not properly configured for the change (e.g. a modem going into or out of bridge mode). Try doing a reset and let us know as AirPort Utility should suggest the proper settings.
I'lll give this a try. The hard reset small button is on the back, right? Do you know how long I need to hold it down or how would I know it's been reset? Thanks! I'll check the manual as well!

I'll update with the modem model.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'lll give this a try. The hard reset small button is on the back, right? Do you know how long I need to hold it down or how would I know it's been reset? Thanks! I'll check the manual as well!

I'll update with the modem model.

You would unplug the Extreme and insert a paper clip into the reset hole. Once you do that, you would plug in power and continue to hold the reset button until the front light flashes rapidly. You can now reconfigure from scratch in AirPort Utility.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
You would unplug the Extreme and insert a paper clip into the reset hole. Once you do that, you would plug in power and continue to hold the reset button until the front light flashes rapidly. You can now reconfigure from scratch in AirPort Utility.

Yes! It allowed me to set up a everything from scratch! I was able to set up everything and it's WORKING! Something so simple, yet, I couldn't figure it out. I think my frustration got in the way. :p

Thank you! :D

Using the router, does it make my internet speed faster? I hate that Comcast modem. My connection to the internet was never stable! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.