Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm running 12 at 2.93... As much as I feel my pro is already pretty maxed out for my needs this upgrade intrigues me. What are you doing for PSU and cooling exactly? I read a weird post about Arctic silver 5. Everything else the same on your rig? Looks like it would be about 15% faster for me at most. Amazing how the prices of those chips came down in the past few years.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
oh man so i just did this upgrade after i got the 2 matching x5690 parts on ebay for $599...I think the guy still has a few left.

Well anyways after my heart settles down from all the tinkering of my mac pro. I am again floored by how fast these chips are, they are certified speed demons.

Im slicing through everything my old quad chips would lag at. For Anyone on the edge of deciding to upgrade there 8 core machine i highly suggest doing the 12 core upgrade.

Everything is running at a cool normal temperature thanks to some high quality artic silver 5.

Nice upgrade.
I went from a quad 2.8 to a hex 3.46 and felt the extra kick that gave,
more cores aside, the faster clock is where alot of that extra kick delivers.
I notice in your post your ram is 1033, remember you could boost that to 1333 speed ram now...whenever you feel the need.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I'm running 12 at 2.93... As much as I feel my pro is already pretty maxed out for my needs this upgrade intrigues me. What are you doing for PSU and cooling exactly? I read a weird post about Arctic silver 5. Everything else the same on your rig? Looks like it would be about 15% faster for me at most. Amazing how the prices of those chips came down in the past few years.

Im running everything stock when it comes to cooling and the psu.

----------

Nice upgrade.
I went from a quad 2.8 to a hex 3.46 and felt the extra kick that gave,
more cores aside, the faster clock is where alot of that extra kick delivers.
I notice in your post your ram is 1033, remember you could boost that to 1333 speed ram now...whenever you feel the need.

i have 4x8gb of 1333 ram coming in the mail. as well as a apple blade to pcie.

Now all i need is a MVC 980 and my mac pro will be a BEAST!

Last edited:

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Im running everything stock when it comes to cooling and the psu.

----------

i have 4x8gb of 1333 ram coming in the mail. as well as a apple blade to pcie.

Now all i need is a MVC 980 and my mac pro will be a BEAST!

Even sweeter!
Out of interest which apple blade to pcie are you getting...Sintech one or?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Yeah, now that 5690 prices are tumbling as lots of old servers are getting scrapped, it makes ALOT of sense to go 5690.

My day to day testing machine is a 3,1 with 5482s. At night I usually move to the 4,1 running 5690s. Both have PCIE SSDs capable of around 1,000 MB/s but I always notice moving on to the 4,1. Everything just ka-BANGS into existence. Part is due to the 3,1 running the PCIE SSD at 1/2 speed but the 4,1 feels AMAZING. It is noticeably faster at everything. (I can post kitty videos to Facebook just as fast as nMP)

We had some minor breakthroughs on 980 but then a setback. So frustrating to have GTX750Ti 95% done but not be able to get 970/980 done. If my friends in green up north want to send any hints, I'm all ears.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
^^^
Why not go dual procs though? Would it even work

Nope. It's a hackintosh so single CPU only.

i could go with a 8-core 5960X if i wanted tho; geek bench would be over 30k multicore like the OP with that CPU overclocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.