Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
If I let my iPhone 6 Plus sit for a little while with out touching it, lets say half hour or so, the home button feels stuck and makes a clicking noise. It also does it randomly if I'm using the phone. Im very disappointed, this is the first issue I have ever had with any of my 7 iPhones.

Solutions - Can Apple fix this in store? If not, how do i get my phone replaced if their sold out? Should I go to Apple and have them order my replacement, will they take this phone away from me while i wait for my replacement?

On a Side Note: The upper portion of my screen also gets very hot when i have the brightness turned all the way up, any suggestions other then obvious don't turn your brightness all the way up.

This iPhone 6 roll out has not been one for the record books, I'm hoping to see vast structural and internal improvements for the 6S

Thanks for chiming in...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Give it a couple weeks. It'll be fine. People were making threads about the same thing after the 5s was released, then the loud clicking went away eventually.

If it is a problem, bring it to Apple. They'll take care of you.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Give it a couple weeks. It'll be fine. People were making threads about the same thing after the 5s was released, then the loud clicking went away eventually.

If it is a problem, bring it to Apple. They'll take care of you.

Its been since September 19th already, I mean this isn't a pair of shoes you break in, its a pretty sophisticated precision piece of hardware.

What part do you think is causing the clicking? Is the two little metal bands there?

Also, how will apple take care of me if the phones out of stock?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I believe apple has phones on reserve for defects. So if you bring it in and they determine something's not right, they'll replace it on the spot.

But the click on the 5s and 6 is a lot louder because of the Touch ID button.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
I believe apple has phones on reserve for defects. So if you bring it in and they determine something's not right, they'll replace it on the spot.

But the click on the 5s and 6 is a lot louder because of the Touch ID button.

Trust me, I get that it makes a clicking noise, the problem with this one is that if i don't touch the phone for 15mins, it gets stuck and i have to give it a extra hard push and thats when it makes the initial loud clicking sound. Ill call Apple tomorrow and find out.

Any idea about the phone heating up? I could barley keep it at my ear today to make a phone call it got so hot!.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Trust me, I get that it makes a clicking noise, the problem with this one is that if i don't touch the phone for 15mins, it gets stuck and i have to give it a extra hard push and thats when it makes the initial loud clicking sound. Ill call Apple tomorrow and find out.

Any idea about the phone heating up? I could barley keep it at my ear today to make a phone call it got so hot!.

It shouldn't get hot like that. They should replace it though.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The home button should be solid and make a confident "click" sound. Any anomalies this early are not a good sign. I'd get it replaced.

As someone else said, the Apple stores keep a separate stock of replacement phones so if a genius deems it faulty, you'll walk out with a brand new replacement phone. When you go to the store, you can compare the home button to the floor models to see how it should sound and feel.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
There's a vid on YouTube that shows a way to get rid of the click. My 5s was doing this but not anymore after doing what the person suggested. A sticky, weird click or even a double clicking home button is usually caused from dirt or foreign substance getting in the button.

Turn off your device and put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Smear it around the home button. Turn your phone upside down and gently tap it on a desk or something. Repeat if necessary.

I was doubtful but it did work. Search YouTube.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
There's a vid on YouTube that shows a way to get rid of the click. My 5s was doing this but not anymore after doing what the person suggested. A sticky, weird click or even a double clicking home button is usually caused from dirt or foreign substance getting in the button.

Turn off your device and put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Smear it around the home button. Turn your phone upside down and gently tap it on a desk or something. Repeat if necessary.

I was doubtful but it did work. Search YouTube.

Can you grab me the link for the video?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Can you grab me the link for the video?

http://youtu.be/6nhjIZgTCx8

My home button had a weird double click sometime sticky feel to it. I did what was mentioned in the vid and it went away. It's been great for two weeks.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California

My home button had a weird double click sometime sticky feel to it. I did what was mentioned in the vid and it went away. It's been great for two weeks.

lol. this video is hilarious ! Ok so i just did it myself on my 6 - Plus...Ill report back to you in a few days. Thanks for the link brother!

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California

I am happy to report that in day 3 there is still no click after doing what the video told me to do!! Who would have ever thought this would work. Ill report back again soon. Thanks again!!!

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
If I let my iPhone 6 Plus sit for a little while with out touching it, lets say half hour or so, the home button feels stuck and makes a clicking noise. It also does it randomly if I'm using the phone. Im very disappointed, this is the first issue I have ever had with any of my 7 iPhones.

Solutions - Can Apple fix this in store? If not, how do i get my phone replaced if their sold out? Should I go to Apple and have them order my replacement, will they take this phone away from me while i wait for my replacement?

On a Side Note: The upper portion of my screen also gets very hot when i have the brightness turned all the way up, any suggestions other then obvious don't turn your brightness all the way up.

This iPhone 6 roll out has not been one for the record books, I'm hoping to see vast structural and internal improvements for the 6S

Thanks for chiming in...

Yes! Exactly the same here! I say it's a little loose. Everytime I start to use it after like 1 hours of idle the home button feels loose and it makes clicky sound as I didn't even push it.

And is you iphone space Gray model? Mine is and i heard that only space Gray 6+ model has such issue.

Good luck with your replacement and please tell me if get any updates.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I am happy to report that in day 3 there is still no click after doing what the video told me to do!! Who would have ever thought this would work. Ill report back again soon. Thanks again!!!

Good to hear. I was skeptical too.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

use alcohol wipe.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013

Worked for me too! No more clicking and squishy feeling; the home button feels more solid now. Thanks for the link.

Yunosuke

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Foster City, CA
Worked for me too! No more clicking and squishy feeling; the home button feels more solid now. Thanks for the link.

Wow this worked for me too!

I actually went to Genius Bar and they said it's within spec and there's nothing they can do. Came home and decided to give this "treatment" a shot.

Worked like a charm!!

Bikerman1972

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Wow this worked for me too!

I actually went to Genius Bar and they said it's within spec and there's nothing they can do. Came home and decided to give this "treatment" a shot.

Worked like a charm!!

I have an Iphone 6 and was having that weird clicking noise if I slightly pressed the home button. I also found that video and gave it a shot. Been a few days so far so good. Bit surprised it worked.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
isnt that the home button should click? are you guys expecting to be a complete silence??? all my iphone from original up to 6+ are clicking when they pressed..

the defect is to be like loose or no response whey home button pushed..

Tyler.cooke96

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
It's a defect if the phones only a month old, I know people with a 5s who's home button feels normal and the touch Id home button is the same between the 5s and the six

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
Mine also does it intermittently. Touch ID is also a little hit and miss.

I'll see if I can get it replaced when I have time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.