Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giev

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Hi there,

John Lewis is offering free 3 year guarantee with it's iPad Air 2 right now, but I personally have no experience with JL after sales.

How good is their guarantee, and most important how much of a hassle is to deal with them? I have always had AppleCare etc. and was quite satisfied.

Thanks,

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Excellent.

JL is often a first choice for many electronics purchasers, as not only do they often price match and also throw in longer warranties than other retailers, but their after service is very good.

And no, I don't work for them!

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I’ve just bought mine from them.

Before I ordered, I used the price match claim form on their website and they agreed to match the price of KRCS, currently £30 lower. They also agreed to match the price on the Currys website, but that's only £20 off.

You can do a price match after you order, but I wanted to make sure it met their criteria beforehand.

I’ve got 28 days to claim the money back, but I’ll wait to see if there are any better offers to match it against in the meantime.

The free three year guarantee offer doesn’t expire until the 26/11/14, so you’ve got plenty of time to submit a claim. It took them about two days to get back to me.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
You are on the right track , go for it# I bought my Sony Vaio Windows integrated PC with warranty from them 2yrs ago . It crashed once and I took it back for repairs; if they could not fix it you 'd get a like for like replacement.

When I upgrade my PC to an iMac, I plan to buy from JL#

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Nothing beats support if you buy from an Apple retail store, but only in the first 12 months or so. I've had a Mac mini repaired FOC that failed a couple of months after the first year warranty expired and an iPad Air replaced with a new unit at 11 months.

Have just bought the Air 2 but from the same Apple Store. JL offered the 2 years warranty but decided to give them a miss. Nothing wrong with JL but I still prefer the direct Apple Store purchase.

I have either taken back or swapped a number of Apple products after using them for a week or two and they never query it. They swapped the smart case after a week or so on my new iPad after I said it didn't fit as well as I would like. No problem, given a new one straight away!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Nothing beats support if you buy from an Apple retail store, but only in the first 12 months or so. I've had a Mac mini repaired FOC that failed a couple of months after the first year warranty expired and an iPad Air replaced with a new unit at 11 months.

Have just bought the Air 2 but from the same Apple Store. JL offered the 2 years warranty but decided to give them a miss. Nothing wrong with JL but I still prefer the direct Apple Store purchase.

I have either taken back or swapped a number of Apple products after using them for a week or two and they never query it. They swapped the smart case after a week or so on my new iPad after I said it didn't fit as well as I would like. No problem, given a new one straight away!

You realise it makes no difference? Wherever you buy it from, you can still take into into Apple for the first 12 months or buy AppleCare and get 24 months, weather you bought it from Apple / John Lewis / Tesco etc...

I bought my first iPad mini from Currys, took it into Apple 6 weeks later for a few problems and was given a replacement on the spot.

Same with my iPhone 4 a few years back. Had it on contract from O2 but took it to an Apple Store for a replacement.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
You realise it makes no difference? Wherever you buy it from, you can still take into into Apple for the first 12 months or buy AppleCare and get 24 months, weather you bought it from Apple / John Lewis / Tesco etc...

I bought my first iPad mini from Currys, took it into Apple 6 weeks later for a few problems and was given a replacement on the spot.

Same with my iPhone 4 a few years back. Had it on contract from O2 but took it to an Apple Store for a replacement.

You are absolutely correct. Its probably something that goes back years where I associate JL with buying beds and cookers etc and not tech goods, except a TV or two. Apple Store for Apple kit usually. Although I did but my nMP from an Apple retailer because they had them in stock and no Apple Store did!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I hear George Backus also is a good iPad seller.

Same with Sally May Smith.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
I’ve just bought mine from them.

Before I ordered, I used the price match claim form on their website and they agreed to match the price of KRCS, currently £30 lower. They also agreed to match the price on the Currys website, but that's only £20 off.

You can do a price match after you order, but I wanted to make sure it met their criteria beforehand.

I’ve got 28 days to claim the money back, but I’ll wait to see if there are any better offers to match it against in the meantime.

The free three year guarantee offer doesn’t expire until the 26/11/14, so you’ve got plenty of time to submit a claim. It took them about two days to get back to me.

Sounds like you were lucky. I completed the John Lewis claim for today asking them to match KRCS and they refused. The reason being you need to enter a voucher code at checkout to get the £30 off, the same applies to PC World.

Giev

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Sounds like you were lucky. I completed the John Lewis claim for today asking them to match KRCS and they refused. The reason being you need to enter a voucher code at checkout to get the £30 off, the same applies to PC World.

The voucher code is for the "10% off everything else", can still get the iPad w/o any codes/etc.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Who the heck is John Lewis?

Not so much 'who' as a 'what' - John Lewis is a chain of department stores in the UK, known for good service, price matching and offering free (sorry, included) extended warranties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.