Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Your certificate chain might be messed up. Did you check Keychain for any expired certs? Maybe it's expired. Delete and get the new one.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Oh oops. I was thinking Mac.

For PC you can view your certs from a browser. For example, in IE, I think it's Tools | Internet Options | Content | Certificates.

Taking a guess, but possible an intermediate cert is no longer valid which could cause this.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I think Steam uses a variant of Chrome/Webkit, so if you have that browser installed, there should be a way to view and delete certificates with that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think Steam uses a variant of Chrome/Webkit, so if you have that browser installed, there should be a way to view and delete certificates with that.

I'm not familiar with this. My online searches so far, regarding this message associated with Steam and it's not clear what needs to be done. :( I've been making my Steam purchases for Mac and PC on my MBP in the mean time. Thanks for the help!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Bottom line, I really do dislike online gaming services because when they don't work right, they S.U.C.K.

If the game in question isn't just solely multiplayer (or requires a connection to play) and the Steam Cloud is being temperamental as it is sometimes, then switch Steam into offline mode and enjoy your games. I do this often because my internet connection is horrible.

I use Windows/Steam as my main gaming experience (in big picture). And on an unreliable connection, Steam is much more friendlier than a PS3/360/PS4/ONE thanks to the addition to an offline mode.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If the game in question isn't just solely multiplayer (or requires a connection to play) and the Steam Cloud is being temperamental as it is sometimes, then switch Steam into offline mode and enjoy your games. I do this often because my internet connection is horrible.

I use Windows/Steam as my main gaming experience (in big picture). And on an unreliable connection, Steam is much more friendlier than a PS3/360/PS4/ONE thanks to the addition to an offline mode.

My I pression is that you must select offline mode, while you are online, but I've not messed with offline mode in a while?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My I pression is that you must select offline mode, while you are online, but I've not messed with offline mode in a while?

That is correct. If Steam cannot detect an internet connection upon launch/login, it will ask you if you wish to launch in Offline mode. Otherwise its selectable from the menus anytime.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Steam's been just jim dandy on my Windows install (Boot Camp, admittedly).

On the other hand, staring at this screen for 45 minutes...

435hQBHl.jpg

iczster

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Has anybody tried Steam streaming through a Fusion or Parellels windows VM to OSX?

My gaming rig will be going soon for a new RiMac and streaming from that to my Rmbp works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.