Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Decided to go with this case to accompany a Green Air (1) Smart Cover.

Was torn between this and the LUVVIT case. Fingers crossed this was the right choice.

I chose the Kayscase over the Luvvit because the Kayscase is a soft, frosted TPU which won't show scratches the way the Luvvit will because that is a hard, clear polystyrene.

BJ

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
That's pretty much what it came down to for me as well. Couldn't decide on how badly I wanted the case to be "clear" but I actually think the Frost of it should dim the iPad gold just enough to work.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
I received my cover/case a few days ago and I like it a lot! Yes, it's not as stiff down by the speakers but for me it's not an issue at all. My red Smart Cover works perfectly with it! For me it's a definite buy and keep! :)

Nice case, nice price, it's a winner.

calbearz24

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
BJ, thanks for the photos, and thanks to everyone for their comments.

The black Air 1 cover plus this case in clear frost is my #1 option now but I would like to see how the gold Air looks in it before I decide. If someone with the this case on a gold Air could post photos, I would be grateful and I'm sure others would be as well!

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Do either one of these cases interfere with the Smart Cover adhering the the back of the iPad Air 2?

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Yes.

If you get a back shell you lose the magnetism.

BJ

Not necessarily - my SmartCover is sticking well to the back of my Air 2 with the Kayscase. I have tried a few different case options and this setup is by far my favorite.

Dreamrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
Can't decide between Boxwave and Kayscase.

Emailed them about the K logo, that's definitely a no go if its there.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Guys did anyone purchase a boxwave case in the end?

I want a crystal clear one to go with a red apple smart cover.

Does anyone have pics of a red cover with a frosted case?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Guys did anyone purchase a boxwave case in the end?

I want a crystal clear one to go with a red apple smart cover.

Does anyone have pics of a red cover with a frosted case?

I also went with the crystal clear version and use it with a red Smart Cover. I'm happy with it so far. It adds minimal bulk and weight whilst protecting the back from scuffs and scratches.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I also went with the crystal clear version and use it with a red Smart Cover. I'm happy with it so far. It adds minimal bulk and weight whilst protecting the back from scuffs and scratches.

Thanks Mr C. Pics please, if possible?

A speculative answer may be needed for the next question... how confident are you that over time the hard case will not scratch up the rear shell?

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417908150.331296.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417908171.803899.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417908272.188186.jpg using mine with a smart cover on my air 2.

Dreamrage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
Looks good, if only they shipped to New Zealand.

For some reason its not listed as an option even though it says international shipping available.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thanks Mr C. Pics please, if possible?

A speculative answer may be needed for the next question... how confident are you that over time the hard case will not scratch up the rear shell?

I haven't taken mine off yet so couldn't verify if it will scratch. Then again I've only had it for a week or so. The BoxWave is hard polycarbonate or a type of plastic. I think the KayCase is probably softer and more rubber like as it's made of polyurethane although as a result it may not provide as much impact protection. I'm happy with the BoxWave for now. If Belkin, Speck or Incipio come up with something better I might be tempted as they have a good reputation and I've had their clear cases for previous iPads.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before deciding as don't need the cover till Christmas day. But right now leaning at risking the slightly open Boxwave.

dennyod123

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Did any of you guys pick up this KAYSCASE pouch?

They are offering 50% Off if you buy it with the back shell case. Looks like it's big enough to fit the iPad with the back shell and the smart cover. Which one will you pick? Not sure if you need the stand function since we all get a smart cover, but it's still nice to have.

71aYvlANBbL._SL1000_.jpg

71s73CkAciL._SL1000_.jpg

81YGp7l2wYL._SL1000_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.