Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
My Apple studio monitor was having an issue, so I got IT to get me a new monitor. When they called me and asked how big my current one was and how big I wanted, I didn't know the size and just said big.

Now, I've got a 27" Thunderbolt Display on my desk. OMG, I did not know what I have been missing. Working today has been a pleasure. The display is crystal clear, easy to read. Multiple windows open at one time, no issues. My biggest question is why I didn't order one of these when they first came out?

Does anyone else use one of these? If so, why hasn't anyone told me about it? Are there a dozen threads hidden about them? I looked didn't really find anything about them. Yes, IT is getting me a Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard. I really dislike wires.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    480.9 KB · Views: 195

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I know just how you feel! I was looking for a decent display last December, that I could afford, and I was gifted a TB for Xmas.

Enjoy it.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Get a Logitech performance MX mouse, the Magic Mouse sucks. Also, the TB display is nice but with the new iMac screen technology it's hard to justify paying such a premium for old outdated technology (usb 2.0, super thick, glass not laminated to LCD)

longthizzz

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
My Apple studio monitor was having an issue, so I got IT to get me a new monitor. When they called me and asked how big my current one was and how big I wanted, I didn't know the size and just said big.

Now, I've got a 27" Thunderbolt Display on my desk. OMG, I did not know what I have been missing. Working today has been a pleasure. The display is crystal clear, easy to read. Multiple windows open at one time, no issues. My biggest question is why I didn't order one of these when they first came out?

Does anyone else use one of these? If so, why hasn't anyone told me about it? Are there a dozen threads hidden about them? I looked didn't really find anything about them. Yes, IT is getting me a Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard. I really dislike wires.

where did you buy the stand that your Thunderbolt Display is standing on .

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Unless your legs are touching the lower side of your table that monitor is standing too high. Your sight on to the monitor should go a little bit downward, not upward.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
where did you buy the stand that your Thunderbolt Display is standing on .

I'm not sure where it came from. A former IT person got it for me.

Unless your legs are touching the lower side of your table that monitor is standing too high. Your sight on to the monitor should go a little bit downward, not upward.

I'm tall and my chair is also on its highest adjustment. With my previous monitor, I used to use the laptop as the keyboard, trackpad and second monitor. I needed the height to keep the base of the monitor above the laptop. I've grown used to it up high and like it that way.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Enjoy the ATB, it is a really great monitor. I know that Apple 4k/5k monitors might eventually show up, and the new iMac is pretty great, but the ATB is still a very functional and nice display. I picked a refurbished one up earlier this year from Apple and it has been working very nicely with my rMBP. Looking forward to at least a few more years with it.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Get a Logitech performance MX mouse, the Magic Mouse sucks. Also, the TB display is nice but with the new iMac screen technology it's hard to justify paying such a premium for old outdated technology (usb 2.0, super thick, glass not laminated to LCD)

-----Caution! Truck driver speculation-----

My bet is that the 5k Thunderbolt Display gets released mid/late 2015 with a price tag in the $1499+ range. At that point the current 2.5k model gets cut to $799 or discontinued altogether.

----------end speculation ------------

As far as current value:

$450-$500 Buy a decent 3rd party 2560x1440 display.

$200-$300 Thunderbolt dock (data pass-thru, usb hub, Ethernet jack)

$50 cheap 2.1 speakers, webcam w/mic
------------
$700-$850 total.

Apple TBD $799 (refurb) or $999 new.

The lack of usb 3.0 is the only irritation for me, but the value isn't that bad, especially for an older than current MacBook owner who probably won't be able to afford the $3500 buy-in cost of 5k next year. (TBD-5k + new MBa or MBPr to drive it)

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008

My bet is that the 5k Thunderbolt Display gets released mid/late 2015 with a price tag in the $1499+ range. At that point the current 2.5k model gets cut to $799 or discontinued altogether.

----------end speculation ------------

As far as current value:

$450-$500 Buy a decent 3rd party 2560x1440 display.

$200-$300 Thunderbolt dock (data pass-thru, usb hub, Ethernet jack)

$50 cheap 2.1 speakers, webcam w/mic
------------
$700-$850 total.

Apple TBD $799 (refurb) or $999 new.

The lack of usb 3.0 is the only irritation for me, but the value isn't that bad, especially for an older than current MacBook owner who probably won't be able to afford the $3500 buy-in cost of 5k next year. (TBD-5k + new MBa or MBPr to drive it)

While I agree when comparing the cost for other components it roughly adds up the same, that wasn't the point.

The point is Apple could have and should have released an updated Thunderbolt monitor with the new thin design (they don't even have to shove a computer in it this time!), usb 3.0, and kept it at it's current price. I doubt there's a shortage of 27" panels so that would be no excuse.

It's a terrible position to be in considering whether to buy the display or not. It is a great display, but, updates should be RIGHT around the corner. I can't think of a single good reason why Apple couldn't of updated it's Thunderbolt line with the '12 iMacs. Sure you can use the saying "new technology will always be available, buy it now and enjoy it" but..the technology is RIGHT THERE in front of your face.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
While I agree when comparing the cost for other components it roughly adds up the same, that wasn't the point.

The point is Apple could have and should have released an updated Thunderbolt monitor with the new thin design (they don't even have to shove a computer in it this time!), usb 3.0, and kept it at it's current price. I doubt there's a shortage of 27" panels so that would be no excuse.

It's a terrible position to be in considering whether to buy the display or not. It is a great display, but, updates should be RIGHT around the corner. I can't think of a single good reason why Apple couldn't of updated it's Thunderbolt line with the '12 iMacs. Sure you can use the saying "new technology will always be available, buy it now and enjoy it" but..the technology is RIGHT THERE in front of your face.

All valid points.

But with my 100% accurate track record (except for the times it wasn't) I wouldn't be holding out for an update to the 2.5k TBD. My money is on them releasing a 5k TBD and using the age of the current model (never again to be updated) as one more reason to go 5k.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but Apple tends to be rather brutal in cutting resources to updating "old" technology. (Non-retina MBP for example)

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
All valid points.

But with my 100% accurate track record (except for the times it wasn't) I wouldn't be holding out for an update to the 2.5k TBD. My money is on them releasing a 5k TBD and using the age of the current model (never again to be updated) as one more reason to go 5k.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but Apple tends to be rather brutal in cutting resources to updating "old" technology. (Non-retina MBP for example)

I agree completely. I don't think Apple will introduce a TBD unless its 4K or 5K. Probably 5K, probably not for another year or so because they need computers to drive it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta

What current transport can deliver 5K from Macs to the display? It already takes Thunderbolt 2 doing multiple streams just to deliver 4k. Note the Retina iMac is not delivering 5K outside the box, only inside the box.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
What current transport can deliver 5K from Macs to the display? It already takes Thunderbolt 2 doing multiple streams just to deliver 4k. Note the Retina iMac is not delivering 5K outside the box, only inside the box.

I'm guessing that'd be Thunderbolt 3, with TB3 equipped Macs released with it. Might be possible (have alternate mode) using the joy of MST with two TB2 ports, but i'm way out of my league even speculating there. Just seems likely Apple would want to throw a bone to the nMP owners.

Hence my statement about the buy-in cost being upwards of $3500 for 5K. $1499 for the 5K Apple display, plus new rMBP's or maybe rMBA's. :cool:

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
TB3 (Alpine Ridge) will like not be out for another year or more. In the mean time Apple could address far more customers with a 4K ATD that can work with machines made in late 2013 and 2014 via TB2.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's bordering on ridiculous now. Dell's recently launched 27" 4K IPS display is selling for about half the price of Apple's old 2650x1440 display.

But at 27" can you use 4K natively or will UI elements be too small?

Unfortunately, I've never used a 4K in person. What I thought would be my dream computer is a 23/24" 4K monitor running in 1080p HiDPi, but now that isn't quite enough room so I though about native 4K.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
But at 27" can you use 4K natively or will UI elements be too small?

Unfortunately, I've never used a 4K in person. What I thought would be my dream computer is a 23/24" 4K monitor running in 1080p HiDPi, but now that isn't quite enough room so I though about native 4K.

The great thing about Apple's HiDPI scaling is that you can use whatever resolution you're comfortable with and it will be sharp. You can run a 4K 27" at the same 2560x1440 desktop resolution as the Apple TBD and it will be a LOT sharper... near retina quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.