Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
My setup: MacMini with 1TB internal, 2TB external USB. If I added a 4TB disk to my Airport Extreme as a disk on there USB port and use it as a Time Capsule Drive, will Time Machine on my MacMini also backup my 2TB external drive to it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My setup: MacMini with 1TB internal, 2TB external USB. If I added a 4TB disk to my Airport Extreme as a disk on there USB port and use it as a Time Capsule Drive, will Time Machine on my MacMini also backup my 2TB external drive to it?

Yes, as long as you don't exclude it in the optional TM settings.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just to clarify. External drives are automatically added to the exclude list with Time Machine. So you need to open Time Machine prefs and go to the Option button and remove the external from the excluded list. Then it will be backed up.

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Just to clarify. External drives are automatically added to the exclude list with Time Machine. So you need to open Time Machine prefs and go to the Option button and remove the external from the excluded list. Then it will be backed up.

Awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.