Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I know that on a PC you can change the settings to allocate a different amount of VRAM from your shared memory. If I'm running Windows 7 via bootcamp on a 2012 Macbook Pro with 16gb of RAM can I do this? I have the intel hd 4000 graphics processor.

Thanks!

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Due to Apple's insistence of implementing its own EFI interface and not allowing options to be changed, you likely won't be able change this one.

I am running windows though, if you're referring to mac osx not allowing options to be changed, I do know that windows allows, as long as mac hardware wouldn't restrict it? That's my real question.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I am running windows though, if you're referring to mac osx not allowing options to be changed, I do know that windows allows, as long as mac hardware wouldn't restrict it? That's my real question.

EFI is the underlining software code that controls the hardware. It doesn't matter what operating system you use.

SyncFx

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I changed my VRAM the exact same way I would as if I was on a PC that only has Windows.

Windows reports the VRAM change as well. That's like saying you cannot update video card drivers or OC them in Windows. Well, you actually can. However a processor you cannot due to EFI.

As far as I'm understanding the difference between a partition of Windows on a Hard Drive that came with OS X and a Windows PC is that there is no BIOS(Which relates to the Motherboard) to OC the processor. Everything else is the same. Erm actually Fan control is a bit harder as well.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I changed my VRAM the exact same way I would as if I was on a PC that only has Windows.

Windows reports the VRAM change as well. That's like saying you cannot update video card drivers or OC them in Windows. Well, you actually can. However a processor you cannot due to EFI.

As far as I'm understanding the difference between a partition of Windows on a Hard Drive that came with OS X and a Windows PC is that there is no BIOS(Which relates to the Motherboard) to OC the processor. Everything else is the same. Erm actually Fan control is a bit harder as well.

So you're saying that you were indeed able to change your vram on your mac? or? If so, do tell. Thanks

SyncFx

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Indeed I was able to change my VRAM on my Windows partition. I put Windows in italics because you said Mac, so I'm starting to think you mean OS X now haha.

But yes, in Windows just right click on Computer in the Start Menu and Select Properties. -> Select Advanced System Settings on the left menu. -> Under Performance, select Settings. -> Select the Advanced tab. Under Virtual Memory select Change. Now check the custom size and set your Initial size and Maximum size press okay, apply, restart computer.

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Indeed I was able to change my VRAM on my Windows partition. I put Windows in italics because you said Mac, so I'm starting to think you mean OS X now haha.

But yes, in Windows just right click on Computer in the Start Menu and Select Properties. -> Select Advanced System Settings on the left menu. -> Under Performance, select Settings. -> Select the Advanced tab. Under Virtual Memory select Change. Now check the custom size and set your Initial size and Maximum size press okay, apply, restart computer.

That's not vram, that's the windows pagefile I'm afraid. They're talking about the part of system ram allocated for the integrated GPU to work with. And as everyone has said, it's unlikely this will be easily changeable, as it's managed by EFI CSM, and apple provides no way to tweak any options for this.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
That's not vram, that's the windows pagefile I'm afraid. They're talking about the part of system ram allocated for the integrated GPU to work with. And as everyone has said, it's unlikely this will be easily changeable, as it's managed by EFI CSM, and apple provides no way to tweak any options for this.

Ok. So because of the EFI thing, I wont be able to reallocate the vram to the shared gpu? What is the cap that apple puts on my gpu if I were to install 16gb of ram? It's a 2012 mbp

And I do have windows 7 installed via bootcamp, my partition is about 250gb if that's relevant.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Ok. So because of the EFI thing, I wont be able to reallocate the vram to the shared gpu? What is the cap that apple puts on my gpu if I were to install 16gb of ram? It's a 2012 mbp

And I do have windows 7 installed via bootcamp, my partition is about 250gb if that's relevant.

It runs at 512MB if you have more then 8GB I think

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Alright, so if I were to get either 8gb or 16gb of ram, both would have the same graphics performance because of apple's gpu cap?

Video Ram doesn't do much since you're more limited by your GPU itself then running out of video ram.

It doesn't matter really. Get 16GB since they're very cheap. You're only allowed 512MB shared and your video card can only do so much.

Shredder96

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Video Ram doesn't do much since you're more limited by your GPU itself then running out of video ram.

It doesn't matter really. Get 16GB since they're very cheap. You're only allowed 512MB shared and your video card can only do so much.

Ok, Thanks!

odmir

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Alright, so if I were to get either 8gb or 16gb of ram, both would have the same graphics performance because of apple's gpu cap?

I actually have the exact same system as your's and i upgraded my ram to 16GB and it increases the vram to 1024MB... Just so you know the cap is not on 512MB

jezzanator7w

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2014
I actually have the exact same system as your's and i upgraded my ram to 16GB and it increases the vram to 1024MB... Just so you know the cap is not on 512MB

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro with Intel HD 4000 graphics and 8GB of RAM and windows 8.1 via bootcamp which is only allocating 32MB - yes only 32 megabytes - of system ram to the GPU!!!!! I can run the mac version of a modern game like batman arkham city in OS X with medium to high settings and get great performance whereas the pc version of the same game barely works on the lowest settings and resolution on the windows partition because windows has locked the GPU to only 32MB!!!! And there is no way of changing it!!! I am speechless at the stupidity of this.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I have a mid 2012 macbook pro with Intel HD 4000 graphics and 8GB of RAM and windows 8.1 via bootcamp which is only allocating 32MB - yes only 32 megabytes - of system ram to the GPU!!!!! I can run the mac version of a modern game like batman arkham city in OS X with medium to high settings and get great performance whereas the pc version of the same game barely works on the lowest settings and resolution on the windows partition because windows has locked the GPU to only 32MB!!!! And there is no way of changing it!!! I am speechless at the stupidity of this.

The driver clearly isn't working as intended. You can grab the latest Intel HD drivers from Intel's website (which you should really do anyway after installing Windows).

Elite315

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021

Faking a VRAM Increase​

Open a Registry Editor window by typing regeditinto the Start Menu. Remember that you can mess up your system in the Registry, so take care while here.

Head to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel

Right-click the Intel folder in the left panel and choose New > Key. Name this key GMM. Once you've made it, select the new GMM folder on the left and right-click inside the right side.

Select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name this DedicatedSegmentSize and give it a value, making sure to select the Decimal option. In megabytes, the minimum value is 0 (disabling the entry) and the maximum is 512. Set this value, restart your computer, and see if it helps a game run better.

this helped me on windows 10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.