Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eelinnah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hello,
I keep on getting this message: Error Couldn’t configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle.
I have been trying to use ifile to delete the unnecessary playlist, and reinstall the cydia by re-JB with redsn0w, but nothing changed.
It is still appearing: Error Couldn’t configure pre-depend dpkg for ncurses, probably a dependency cycle.
where can I download some debs? How can I fix the "ncurses" or "dependency cycle", please?
There must be an angel somewhere hiding with the right solution for me!
Thank you very much in advance!
Eelinnah

shamilton78

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Not sure if you've received a reply yet, but this just happened to me. All you have to do is re-jailbreak it using Evais0n. You don't need to restore first, simply just jailbreak on top of your current jailbreak.

Voila!

didenno

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
Problem solved

Hi, i had the same problem and searched everywhere for help. I can confirm that the above advice works. I rejailbreaked my ipad2 with evasi0n even though evasi0n advised against doing it and now my cydia and all apps are working fine. It updates everything that needs to be updated and i can view my installed apps now but i couldnt before fixing the problem. I was wary of diong it but it was my only option unless i wanted to lose my jailbreak altogther by restoring and updating software via itunes. Hope this satisfies some doubtful members

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Not sure if you've received a reply yet, but this just happened to me. All you have to do is re-jailbreak it using Evais0n. You don't need to restore first, simply just jailbreak on top of your current jailbreak.

Voila!

He didn't give his firmware, so evasi0n might not be appropriate, besides that it is very ill advised to re-jailbreak.

Hi, i had the same problem and searched everywhere for help. I can confirm that the above advice works. I rejailbreaked my ipad2 with evasi0n even though evasi0n advised against doing it and now my cydia and all apps are working fine. It updates everything that needs to be updated and i can view my installed apps now but i couldnt before fixing the problem. I was wary of diong it but it was my only option unless i wanted to lose my jailbreak altogther by restoring and updating software via itunes. Hope this satisfies some doubtful members

See above.

@OP
It looks like you tried to install a .deb which is dependent on other .deb's
Find out which app you where installing and what is needed.

didenno

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
I did not intend to ill advise anyone reading my comment. I was just letting others know that the advice given above worked for me. It is upto the individual person to do it or not. So i apologise if my comments were ill advised

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I did not intend to ill advise anyone reading my comment. I was just letting others know that the advice given above worked for me. It is upto the individual person to do it or not. So i apologise if my comments were ill advised

Like you said yourself the evaders explicitly say it is not advised to re-jailbreak, overwriting Cydia tends to create more problems than it will solve.

For most issues there are other option, asking for advise in this or other forums such as ModMyi is best as there are very knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help.

Re-jailbreaking is a last resort only as it has a high risk of boot-loops and a restore to a non-jailbreakable firmware.

I'm glad it worked for you but for others it might not be the solution.

@OP
reseting Cydia might help as well.

use ifile or ifunbox:

Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources.

jabbaian

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
Like you said yourself the evaders explicitly say it is not advised to re-jailbreak, overwriting Cydia tends to create more problems than it will solve.

For most issues there are other option, asking for advise in this or other forums such as ModMyi is best as there are very knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help.

Re-jailbreaking is a last resort only as it has a high risk of boot-loops and a restore to a non-jailbreakable firmware.

I'm glad it worked for you but for others it might not be the solution.

@OP
reseting Cydia might help as well.

use ifile or ifunbox:

Navigate to /private/etc/apt/sources.list.d

Delete the file "cydia.list"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists

Delete all of the files in this folder except the one called "lock"

Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Delete all of the files in this folder

Navigate to /var/lib/cydia

Delete the file "metadata.plist"

Restart Cydia. You should be at the first screen you saw when you first started Cydia: What kind of user are you? Make your selection and Cydia will re-generate the default sources.

hello there.
i have done all your above steps except for this "Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial". i don't see the partial folder at all.

now i am at Cydia first screen but after choosing the user, it will automatically shut down and won't open.

Pls advise.
thanks

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
hello there.
i have done all your above steps except for this "Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists/partial". i don't see the partial folder at all.

now i am at Cydia first screen but after choosing the user, it will automatically shut down and won't open.

Pls advise.
thanks

Are you the OP?

Are you sure you are in jailbroken mode?

Try to just boot with redsn0w

Jszingel

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Curia help

I went through and deleted all that was asked and it still gives me the error. When I re load the firmware it gives me that error. Is that the problem? If I delete it and re install the firmware will that fix it or is there something that I need to do

Jszingel

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Cydia help

Jszingel;19545418]I went through and deleted all that was asked and it still gives me the error. When I re load the firmware it gives me that error. Is that the problem? If I delete it and re install the firmware will that fix it or is there something that I need to do? I am. Noticing that it is doing this when I install anything. That is what I was having problems with prior to trying what
Bias noted above.

Quinten101

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Please Help!

I have this problem too can somebody send me the dfgk files! my email quintentutaki139@gmail please!

Tommy1234567890

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2016
Someone plz help me I have a error on Cydia and it says Cydia couldn't configure pre-dependent dpkg for grep, Probaly a dependcy cycle and someone help me !!!! I heard you have to jailbreak on top of your current jailbreak and I don't know how to do that some one plz help!!!! My email is tkhulse16@gmail.com

ThaUnrealIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
You could always try restoring to iOS 9.3.3 and jailbreaking with pangu
Yo dude, could you help me?

I am in a pretty sticky situation. And I justxwant one of the two things to happen,

1. Remove JB
2. Get JB to work again

I am on an iPhone 6 ios 9.3.3 and have jailbroken with PP and Pangu from my phone. But there where a few things that happend.

I jailbroken my device without making an backup before (IK real stupid). My jailbreak stopped working. So I found this guy who had the same problem and restored his phone and rejailbroken it. It worked for him. Now I tried the same. With an backup file with Cydia so I had Cydia on a non jailbroken device. Rejailbroke it and now it doesn't work. I am missing a lot of files a lot of people apparently do have. When I checked my iFile, I noticed I didn't have a /var/lib/ but I created one made a dpkg file in it with the debian file in it.

Could you help me resolve this?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Yo dude, could you help me?

I am in a pretty sticky situation. And I justxwant one of the two things to happen,

1. Remove JB
2. Get JB to work again

I am on an iPhone 6 ios 9.3.3 and have jailbroken with PP and Pangu from my phone. But there where a few things that happend.

I jailbroken my device without making an backup before (IK real stupid). My jailbreak stopped working. So I found this guy who had the same problem and restored his phone and rejailbroken it. It worked for him. Now I tried the same. With an backup file with Cydia so I had Cydia on a non jailbroken device. Rejailbroke it and now it doesn't work. I am missing a lot of files a lot of people apparently do have. When I checked my iFile, I noticed I didn't have a /var/lib/ but I created one made a dpkg file in it with the debian file in it.

Could you help me resolve this?

It would probably be easier to restore to iOS 9.3.3 using iTunes and starting as new

Then proceed with the steps of downloading cydia impactor and pangu v1.1 (English), install the ipa on your device and jailbreak

ThaUnrealIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
It would probably be easier to restore to iOS 9.3.3 using iTunes and starting as new

Then proceed with the steps of downloading cydia impactor and pangu v1.1 (English), install the ipa on your device and jailbreak
So you say deleting all my data and apps? Is that what you mean?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So you say deleting all my data and apps? Is that what you mean?

Start fresh. Use iTunes to restore your iPhone to iOS 9.3.3 and start as a new iphone during the setup process

You will need to download the 9.3.3 ipsw and hold shift (or option on mac) and click restore. Then select the 9.3.3 ipsw to restore your phone to 9.3.3

This only works as long as apple is still signing iOS 9.3.3 (They will stop signing soon)

ThaUnrealIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2016
Start fresh. Use iTunes to restore your iPhone to iOS 9.3.3 and start as a new iphone during the setup process

You will need to download the 9.3.3 ipsw and hold shift (or option on mac) and click restore. Then select the 9.3.3 ipsw to restore your phone to 9.3.3

This only works as long as apple is still signing iOS 9.3.3 (They will stop signing soon)
K thanks I'll try it right away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.