Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Yes, I am sure. I was there 30 minutes ago.

They do not have those terminals yet at either of the Home Depot locations I frequent (one near my home and one near my office).

Bizarre. Home Depot claims that they are using end-to-end encryption at every store. I didn't know their older Ingenico terminals supported this. The older terminals had contactless add-ons, but many store managers removed these. The new ones they can't tamper with like this.

I've seen that. I don't have an NFC phone, so it didn't matter, but I have been keeping an eye out for the NFC logo. I did not see the logo anywhere on the enclosure or on the screen at any time.

It appears after credit is hit, if you swipe first (or insert at the handful of stores with EMV enabled), you will never see the logo.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
It appears after credit is hit, if you swipe first (or insert at the handful of stores with EMV enabled), you will never see the logo.

That seems to be bad flow planning to me, I think it should give an indication of such capability sooner than that, otherwise, I have no reason to know it's there.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
That seems to be bad flow planning to me, I think it should give an indication of such capability sooner than that, otherwise, I have no reason to know it's there.

It is the way it is supposed to happen, the logo appears when you are able to tap, which is once it is totalled.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
It is the way it is supposed to happen, the logo appears when you are able to tap, which is once it is totalled.

But no indication up until then that the terminal can even accept the payment format.

In some ways, I think it's better to have the logo on the case, to give a hint that they might accept the payment format.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
But no indication up until then that the terminal can even accept the payment format.

In some ways, I think it's better to have the logo on the case, to give a hint that they might accept the payment format.

Agreed, but think how many DISABLED contactless capable terminals exist... the ones at Best Buy, ULTA and CVS have the logo, how confusing is that? At least the ones at Target, Barnes & Noble, Costco, etc don't have the logo...

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Agreed, but think how many DISABLED contactless capable terminals exist... the ones at Best Buy, ULTA and CVS have the logo, how confusing is that? At least the ones at Target, Barnes & Noble, Costco, etc don't have the logo...

Agreed. I wonder if there's something in between. Don't want to give people the impression the machine is ready to accept payment, or an impression of a payment type not enabled, but do want to tell what's accepted, give people time to decide payment method and have it ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.