Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
So...I work for an insurance company in the UK. We completed a "semi-hostile" takeover of a smaller company a couple of months ago, and inherited some of their field-based sales consultants, who had been issued with an 8GB iPhone 4.

Today, one of these consultants quit to go to a competitor, and despite us graciously giving her two months paid leave before she starts at the new place, she was not happy at having to give her kit back.

So she wouldn't give us the passcode for her iPhone, so I restored it from iTunes. Now it's locked to her email address, but she's set the recovery email address to her own personal one so all "forgot password" emails go to her personal account.
She's also changed all the security questions from the default, so we can't answer those.

I've spoken to Apple Support, who say that the only way to unlock it is to provide proof of purchase to them, and if they're satisfied, they can unlock it. Obviously this isn't possible as we don't have the purchase details as they were bought 4 years before we acquired their company.

So, is there anyway to "jailbreak" unlock the phone? This is not dodgy in any way - we are a legit company trying to restore an asset that we technically own - we just can't prove it to Apple!

Obviously we'll be slapping down the legal on the user who left, but in the meantime we'd like to be able to get onto the phone to set diverts, pick up voicemail and stuff. Unfortunately we don't have any other iPhone 4s in the office so we can't put the weird sized SIM in anything else. All we have are old Blackberries or iPhone 6s. We don't care about saving any data from the phone, we'd just like to get on it now, and re-provision it possibly for a new user when we appoint one.

Cheers for help in advance - if a mod thinks this is dodgy, please contact me directly and I can tell you the names of companies involved to prove this is all legit. You can probably see the IP I'm posting from is from my company right now!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm not sure what the value is in legal action on an iPhone4 (8GB).

In the future I'd insist the iPhones are returned to you in working order before handing out the two month severance package.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
I'm not sure what the value is in legal action on an iPhone4 (8GB).

In the future I'd insist the iPhones are returned to you in working order before handing out the two month severance package.

Thanks, Captain Hindsight, but that's not how that works. She was on "gardening leave" from the moment she submitted her resignation. We sent a courier round to pick up her kit (she lives about 4 hours away) and this is what we got.
It is in her contract that she has to give us the codes, but sadly there's no timeframe specified (contracts were signed with the old company before we took them over), or subclause stating that the recovery address has to be a work one. Our contracts have that - which is why I was able to restore her iPad Air that we gave her and get that working easily.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
No value in legal action, much more value in telling her to come pick up the phone and adding it to her last paycheck as income and letting her deal with the tax authorities. ;)

Or simply not spending the time on it, and tossing it in the pile to be auctioned off with all the stuff you want to get rid of.

Or using it as trade-in on a new phone for someone else.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Who "owns" the phone number / cell service? Was that on a personal account of hers or on a company account? If the latter you should be able to get the carrier to reprovision the number onto a new SIM that will fit a phone you have. If the former I don't imagine you can do anything without her cooperation, but UK laws may be different.

As for emails, similar question; who "owns" the address?

The phone itself is basically only good for parts if you can't produce the documentation Apple requires and she won't provide the access credentials. I've seen suggestions of a third party service that claims to be able to get in, but I know no details.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
...we'd like to be able to get onto the phone to set diverts, pick up voicemail and stuff. Unfortunately we don't have any other iPhone 4s in the office so we can't put the weird sized SIM in anything else. All we have are old Blackberries or iPhone 6s. We don't care about saving any data from the phone, we'd just like to get on it now, and re-provision it possibly for a new user when we appoint one.

You could just get an adaptor for the sim so it fits in an old blackberry if all you need to do is reassign the number/forward calls.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
There's nothing you can do. If you cant provide the info Apple needs to reset the icloud activation lock you're stuck with a useless device.

Careful. He referred to me as, "Captain Hindsight" for my post… might call you, "Captain Obvious" for yours (even though both posts are true and accurate. . .)

OP: Can now see, based on your response, why it was a hostile takeover and X-employees are out to make your life miserable.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
You could just get an adaptor for the sim so it fits in an old blackberry if all you need to do is reassign the number/forward calls.

Thanks, that looks like the easiest way to do things. The number is owned by us, but again, the handover from the now-defunct company wasn't the best, so we don't have any of the accounts with the provider to be able to change anything that end yet. I'm told it's "pending"...

You are right in that an old iPhone 4 isn't worth much, but if we have to buy a new phone to replace it our contract is 64GB iPhone 6s, so that would cost us a fair bit. We have lawyer people who have let her know we can take the cost out of her remaining paychecks, so that may be the route we go, I don't know. I'm just the tech guy, they told me to try everything I could to get the phone working again!

Thanks all.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Sorry but I think this thread is a lot of Bull. No major insurance company gives a hoot about an iphone 4, it is an Antique. It would have been crushed and put in the circular filing cabinet under the desk.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Careful. He referred to me as, "Captain Hindsight" for my post… might call you, "Captain Obvious" for yours (even though both posts are true and accurate. . .)

OP: Can now see, based on your response, why it was a hostile takeover and X-employees are out to make your life miserable.

Im not surprised.
Every Time we're honest and tell them what they don't like to hear they turn salty:D

Sorry but I think this thread is a lot of Bull. No major insurance company gives a hoot about an iphone 4, it is an Antique. It would have been crushed and put in the circular filing cabinet under the desk.

Well said.
We get all kinds of bogus threads with newbies like that.
I dont know what kind of legit company would even care so much over a 4 year old used cellphone that's not even worth $100 or would not simply demand for all their property back before they hand them their last paycheck or paychecks.
Common sense would do that instead of trying to find a JB hack that would circumvent the icloud activation security feature.

Last edited:

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Standard MacRumors responses then - mostly nice people trying to provide decent advice, spoiled by the people that think they own the place who can't take criticism...get over yourselves. I've seen it all before. It's an internet forum, don't take yourselves so seriously...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Unfortunately we don't have any other iPhone 4s in the office so we can't put the weird sized SIM in anything else. All we have are old Blackberries or iPhone 6s.
The wireless carrier should be able to provide you with a new SIM that fits into an existing device, and move the number to that SIM.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Standard MacRumors responses then - mostly nice people trying to provide decent advice, spoiled by the people that think they own the place who can't take criticism...get over yourselves. I've seen it all before. It's an internet forum, don't take yourselves so seriously...

I know, we're the bad ones because we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear about how to bypass Apples anti-theft activation lock.
Bad bad bad:D

Attachments

• tumblr_m7lpbicAir1r3369k.png
    tumblr_m7lpbicAir1r3369k.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 537
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.