Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
I want to use dual monitors, but I tried it out briefly and I'm not happy with the way OSX behaved, and I'm wondering if there's a way to change it.

It seems to be set up for people who want to have 2 identical screens right against other and have them act as though they're one big screen. When I move the mouse to the edge of one screen, it instantly transitions to the other monitor. This is really aggravating as it makes if very difficult to click on anything near the relevant edge of my screen and my mouse cursor is always disappearing.

What I want is to have the two monitors somewhat separate. I would have one primary monitor for web browsing or work and I would use the other for secondary stuff such as email, iTunes or a video. I want it to behave more like the two monitors are different Spaces desktops so it takes a little effort to switch between the two. I'd like the mouse cursor to not move to another monitor unless I take a deliberate action such as moving it against the edge of the screen for a certain time, or something like that. Same goes for dragging objects and so forth.

Is there any way to do this? Spaces pretty much has the behavior I'm looking for so I really wish I could just get the extra monitor to behave like another "Space".

BTW, I'm using Mavericks and the moment but eventually I'll upgrade to Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.