Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dighn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I've just started using my new mac (running Yosemite). Everything's good, except I'm getting some real stability issues with using samba shares (Linux-based NAS or shared folders from Windows). Everyone once in a while my mounted shares will become inaccessible with random errors (grayed folders, or error codes that I don't recall right now), and Finder hangs with a spinning beach ball. Just now I was just trying to copy some files from one share to another, and Finder hung again. After logging out and in again I was able to transfer some files, but then after I tried renaming something and copying something else, Finder hung again and I couldn't even log out (even force closing Finder), had to hard reset the machine.

I've never had issues with these network shares with my Windows machine. Is there something I'm missing? This kind of instability is just unacceptable. I don't think it's a hardware problem because everything else runs splendidly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.