Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 29, 2007

But should a flat tyre decide a championship? We could well see that this year.

A single event does not define a championship. It's a package deal for the whole season, and the result is an accumulation of events, good and bad.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A single event does not define a championship. It's a package deal for the whole season, and the result is an accumulation of events, good and bad.

True, but if you award double points for one race, it becomes more important than all the others. No question Hamilton has been the better driver (in the best car) this season. But he hasn't had the luck this year. If he had another breakdown would it be right that he loses the championship. Personally I don't think its a good idea to give double points.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 29, 2007
True, but if you award double points for one race, it becomes more important than all the others. No question Hamilton has been the better driver (in the best car) this season. But he hasn't had the luck this year. If he had another breakdown would it be right that he loses the championship. Personally I don't think its a good idea to give double points.

I'm not a fan of the double points either. But even if it were single points, and Lewis has a DNF (for a flat tire or whatever), Nico could still claim the WDC with a win. He is only -17 pts.

Nevertheless, it's racing. That's how it goes. If Lewis loses the WDC due to the double points spread, he's really lost it for numerous reasons.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
But to be fair, as he had just put in his fastest lap, you can see why the team thought he was good for another lap. And the final decision always lies with the driver. If you pull in, they will service your car (as long as you go to the right garage Masa!)
I think it was more a break down in communication more than anything. Hamilton said the standard protocol before a pitstop is to be told to 'push, push, push' which is usually interpreted as push like mad and get everything out of the tyres before you box at the end of this lap. He said he did that and wrecked the tyres only to be told at the second from last corner to stay out. He should really have advised the team his tyres were shot but he said he hadn't realised how bad they were until he exited turn 2 (following lap after all) and got a bit of unexpected slide.

I suppose if he had have just come in and the team had not been ready he may have lost time? He ultimately lost 7 seconds anyway with the slide but that wasn't to be realised until it actually happened. The back end of the car stepped out under quite normal conditions so I couldn't blame him for pushing too hard. Its just one of those things though and in the end it cost him the win but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Perhaps the cock up was a joint error as communication should have been better. A good drive nonetheless. :)

----------

Either driver deserves to win the championship. I look forward to the finale.

I was against the double points thing at first, but in this case it worked out to make the finale an even bigger nail-biter than if regular points were the rule.
I suppose on a points perspective both drivers do deserve to win the championship. They have had the best car this season and have remained close to each other in points. I do feel though that Hamilton has performed the best of the two however. I know they have both experienced bad luck at times, its just Hamilton's bad luck appears to have been more advantageous to Nico in terms of maximum points. Of course when Nico has hit bad luck its benefited Lewis too I don't deny that.

Based on performance I think Lewis has done enough to deserve the championship slightly more and he would be my favourite to win. I will be extremely disappointed if he loses it through a mechanical failure for instance. I think Nico exceeded expectations early on but by his own admission has not been fast enough in race trim for most of the season and given Hamilton the edge. Lewis appears to have been very consistent this year and its very rare mistakes have crept in. This double points idea could make no difference at all, but it could also blow the championship apart at the end by making the points difference look a lot bigger than it deserves to be. We will have to see. :)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Unfortunately it's not looking promising on Caterham's crowdfunding front. After the GP weekend donations have crawled to a near halt. They're currently sat at £1.2m with 3 days to go.

However, there may be some life in Marussia yet! Lowden has said he's in deep talks with some 'serious parties' and now has just a few loose ends to tie up - they're hoping to make it to Abu Dhabi!

I love the Marussia team so I'd be over the moon if they could make it to the UAE. What an amazing turn-around it would be.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I hope Marussua get a life line, a friend of mine is currently sat at home not knowing if he's officially lost his job or not. Caterham is a strange I've because the fund raising is for one race and it's unknown whether there is hope beyond that.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I suppose on a points perspective both drivers do deserve to win the championship. They have had the best car this season and have remained close to each other in points. I do feel though that Hamilton has performed the best of the two however. I know they have both experienced bad luck at times, its just Hamilton's bad luck appears to have been more advantageous to Nico in terms of maximum points. Of course when Nico has hit bad luck its benefited Lewis too I don't deny that.

Based on performance I think Lewis has done enough to deserve the championship slightly more and he would be my favourite to win. I will be extremely disappointed if he loses it through a mechanical failure for instance. I think Nico exceeded expectations early on but by his own admission has not been fast enough in race trim for most of the season and given Hamilton the edge. Lewis appears to have been very consistent this year and its very rare mistakes have crept in. This double points idea could make no difference at all, but it could also blow the championship apart at the end by making the points difference look a lot bigger than it deserves to be. We will have to see. :)

I'll admit that Lewis is the better driver of the two; and it looks like the title is his given that it's so unusual for him to make an error - or to NOT place outside the top two. It's the sign of someone with keen ability that he can get faster times out of what is effectively the same car as his teammate ...but with less fuel consumption.

I agree - a mechanical failure wouldn't adequately answer the question of who deserves the title more. A win is a win, but wouldn't be quite as fun to watch (not a 'true win' if you will). It certainly wouldn't be skill against skill and seeing who comes out on top.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 29, 2007
I wonder if the two teams could merge? That way they would have less costs for the last race. They could each race one car.
What do you think?

I think there would be way too many legal, financial, personnel, logistic and technical challenges to pull that off. There is just no way you can integrate two teams in a few days.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So sounds like Catterham will get enough funds together for Abu Dabi. Good for them. Whether it means they will be on the grid for 2015? Who knows.

Yeah and a female driver is part of the deal so she can drive the car in first practice. She will be the sixth female racer in history to take part in an F1 weekend. All good.

I am not sure about 2015 though. They need a major investor to commit now or they will be out developed by a completely new team at this rate. A lot of work needs to be completed by Christmas and the cash needs to be committed now really.

I'm going to watch the last race with friends and a few beers. Not sure whether we'll watch the Sky transmission yet as we have access to both at a mates house. He's cancelling at the end of the year and most of us prefer the BBC pre and post race stuff. Maybe we'll watch a bit of the build up an hour of so before the race and turn over half an hour before. I prefer DC's gridwalk. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah and a female driver is part of the deal so she can drive the car in first practice. She will be the sixth female racer in history to take part in an F1 weekend. All good.

I am not sure about 2015 though. They need a major investor to commit now or they will be out developed by a completely new team at this rate. A lot of work needs to be completed by Christmas and the cash needs to be committed now really.

I'm going to watch the last race with friends and a few beers. Not sure whether we'll watch the Sky transmission yet as we have access to both at a mates house. He's cancelling at the end of the year and most of us prefer the BBC pre and post race stuff. Maybe we'll watch a bit of the build up an hour of so before the race and turn over half an hour before. I prefer DC's gridwalk. :)

Yes I much prefer the BBC coverage. I can't really see Caterham getting enough money for 2015. The amount it costs, just to be last on the grid. Can't see the attraction for an investor.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
The thing I find daft about this is the sheer stupidity of the larger teams (Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Mclaren) of which you have to suspect Red Bull and Ferrari are the main opposers. Christian Horner said You don't see Man United helping QPR", as if the Premier League is somehow comparable to F1. If only. Last year the relatively (surprisingly!) egailtarian Premier League gave just under £200million to it's top two teams and £130million to it's bottom two teams. In contrast F1 split £400million between the top four teams and £400million to the rest. F1 is screwed if they don't sort this out.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
And Lewis Hamilton continues to lead Rosberg at the end of FP2.

I hope both Mercs collide at turn 1 and are forced to battle their way through the field after a lengthy pit stop otherwise this is going to be a snore fest. They are literally over a second quicker per lap over everyone else if they are trying.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And Lewis Hamilton continues to lead Rosberg at the end of FP2.

I hope both Mercs collide at turn 1 and are forced to battle their way through the field after a lengthy pit stop otherwise this is going to be a snore fest. They are literally over a second quicker per lap over everyone else if they are trying.

Given where they are in the championship, a collision in the first corner is not that unlikely!

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
From seeing the pre race interview, I'd be more suspicious of Nico currently - he's a bit under the cosh.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

Best driver? Probably marginally, and his luck as you pit it has more often been failing under pressure, as as also happened to Rosberg.

If he had another "breakdown" and he loses the title, so be it, thats part and parcel of F1. Points, DNF's, issues caused by others, pressure.

This race, the luck is important as the false points for this race, reward good luck. Rosberg could gain 50 points over Hamilton if Hamilton was hit by another drivers mistake. In two races you are less likely to have two bad luckless pointless or low points races, in Abu Dhabi you can. Its two races that last 300km in total

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think Hamilton have quite convincingly outperformed Nico this year and pressuring him out of the lead on a number of occasions has given the impression Hamilton is mentally stronger than Nico this year. This race comes down to luck for both drivers, but I think the general consensus around the internet, even from fans of other teams and drivers is that Lewis deserves this one over his teammate. We will see though and as long as reliability doesn't ruin things for both, I think we could be in for a treat with tomorrow's race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.