Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why doesn't sprint deploy carrier aggregation for 1900MHz? I notice in many (if not most markets) they have chunks of 5x5MHz carriers on PCS that is non-contiguous....they could easily lace these together using CA for 15x15 in areas like Chicago....would help users with CA capable devices even if they weren't on B41...I know they want to CA Band 41 but 1900 could use it too!

See the carrier aggregation chart below....
I don't know the answer to that question. I know they are working on CA in some form, but I'm not sure if that includes Band 25 or not.

My understanding is that CA is something that will be focused on more once NV is completely done. Lots of places still without Band 41 AND Band 26 right now.

If you're good with registering there, s4gru.com can probably answer the question better. I don't care for the management or culture over there, but the site does have quite a few cellular/wireless experts focusing on Sprint.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Why doesn't sprint deploy carrier aggregation for 1900MHz? I notice in many (if not most markets) they have chunks of 5x5MHz carriers on PCS that is non-contiguous....they could easily lace these together using CA for 15x15 in areas like Chicago....would help users with CA capable devices even if they weren't on B41...I know they want to CA Band 41 but 1900 could use it too!

See the carrier aggregation chart below....

Because Sprint is incompetent. Simple as that.

Of course, if you go on that cesspool called S4GRU, those clowns will swear up and down that Sprint is the next VZW/AT&T killer.

Good luck with that. Maybe they need to concentrate on actually deploying LTE on every site in major cities. Parts of Boston still have no LTE. It's been almost 2 years now. Come on

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I don't know the answer to that question. I know they are working on CA in some form, but I'm not sure if that includes Band 25 or not.

My understanding is that CA is something that will be focused on more once NV is completely done. Lots of places still without Band 41 AND Band 26 right now.

If you're good with registering there, s4gru.com can probably answer the question better. I don't care for the management or culture over there, but the site does have quite a few cellular/wireless experts focusing on Sprint.
Well Band 41 and Band 26 aren't some magic bullet (although s4gru guys might believe this), Sprint seams so overly obsessed with Band 41 (probably because they have so much of it but still)....I never understood their deployment plan of LTE what so ever, never mind the fact at how slow it was but I think they could have done allot with their PCS. Sprint has said they are only going to focus on CA with Band 41, which is why a bunch of sprint users got upset when they were the only ones with iPhone 6's that wouldn't support carrier aggregation (iPhone 6 won't CA Band 41). Maybe their new CEO and staff have changed their views on CA with PCS though...I know they tweaked their B41 roll out. Honestly I hate Sprint but at the same time I want them to succeed, they have so much potential...they are like that genius kid with a bad upbringing that keeps screwing up but keeps getting chances....lol.
Yeah I find S4gru to be very informative...I mean sure its got some pretty deluded characters on there but it is just a gold mine of information because its so big, you just have to wade through the coal, and the platypus s*** to get to the good stuff. I've learned plenty about cellular tech in general from that site, definitely some serious experts on their, I wish I could get them to put all that energy into Howards Forums!

Because Sprint is incompetent. Simple as that.

Of course, if you go on that cesspool called S4GRU, those clowns will swear up and down that Sprint is the next VZW/AT&T killer.

Good luck with that. Maybe they need to concentrate on actually deploying LTE on every site in major cities. Parts of Boston still have no LTE. It's been almost 2 years now. Come on

Lol I can't blame you for this viewpoint at all...I read S4gru occasionally and sometimes those threads are a bit too uh...rabidly tainted with the kool aid for my liking. Next VZW killer LOL that's like thinking your going to win a zillion dollars, turn into a glowing purple pig, grow wings and fly over the moon...its not just unrealistic, its insane. lol.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Well Band 41 and Band 26 aren't some magic bullet (although s4gru guys might believe this), Sprint seams so overly obsessed with Band 41 (probably because they have so much of it but still)....I never understood their deployment plan of LTE what so ever, never mind the fact at how slow it was but I think they could have done allot with their PCS. Sprint has said they are only going to focus on CA with Band 41, which is why a bunch of sprint users got upset when they were the only ones with iPhone 6's that wouldn't support carrier aggregation (iPhone 6 won't CA Band 41). Maybe their new CEO and staff have changed their views on CA with PCS though...I know they tweaked their B41 roll out. Honestly I hate Sprint but at the same time I want them to succeed, they have so much potential...they are like that genius kid with a bad upbringing that keeps screwing up but keeps getting chances....lol.
Yeah I find S4gru to be very informative...I mean sure its got some pretty deluded characters on there but it is just a gold mine of information because its so big, you just have to wade through the coal, and the platypus s*** to get to the good stuff. I've learned plenty about cellular tech in general from that site, definitely some serious experts on their, I wish I could get them to put all that energy into Howards Forums!

Lol I can't blame you for this viewpoint at all...I read S4gru occasionally and sometimes those threads are a bit too uh...rabidly tainted with the kool aid for my liking. Next VZW killer LOL that's like thinking your going to win a zillion dollars, turn into a glowing purple pig, grow wings and fly over the moon...its not just unrealistic, its insane. lol.

Rolling out LTE at 5x5 was a mistake. Just not enough bandwidth on there. Band 41 is great though where I live, NYC. I get anywhere from 15mbs - 60mbs download. Band 26 has helped a good amount for indoors.

I get it, I used to hate having sprint. But the difference is night and day from a year ago. I am always on LTE and its fast.

Just depends on your market, NYC is nice right now.

okrelax

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
yep, service with the 6 bc of band 41 has been a complete turn around in NYC for me as well. I'm glad I didn't switch to another carrier bc I love my unlimited plan now. let's just hope they don't start throttling users! I went from 2-3gb on my 5s (band 25 always) to 15gb monthly. also the phone switches from 3G to LTE much faster than before. sometimes I wouldn't get LTE once I was in an lte zone unles I reset with airplane mode. now it always happens seamlessly

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I don't mind.

I pay around $211 a month. The only thing variable is the cents.

1st line - $110
2nd line - $19.99
2x $10 (Premium Data Fee) - $20
2x $11 (TEP) - $22
2GB Hotspot - $20

With taxes and fees it averages to $211.

I could have moved, but didn't want Framily and the now discontinued All In and My Way plans were more expensive for less lines. Keep in mind, that when Claure came in is only when the prices started dropping. And that was late August when I ultimately made the decision to leave.

Now, I don't move because I don't want a recommittment on a cheaper plan when I'm planning on leaving.

thx, I was just wondering because i'm trying to figure out if my plan is "acceptable", I actually don't have too much of a problem with sprint service (as I mentioned to you in another thread) but I recently lost a 27% discount and am paying almost $90 for my plan (single line).

of course I know people that have VzN in my area that are capped at around 2gb and pay over $100

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Ironic.

The funny part is all the bragging about B41 speeds on the web. Welcome to 2011 Sprint users. AT&T and VZW users have had these speeds for almost three years now.

Who cares? Its here now and thats what matters. Im getting faster speeds then other carriers at times also.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

s4gru.com

Where do I start. Well it's all been said in this thread I think. Most of the users there are refugees from sprintusers.com and howardforums.com. Their denial of certain realities in relation to Sprint caused them to seek their own place.

I don't care for their rules, so I will never give them the satisfaction of registering and then banning me - my first post would get me banned.

No matter though, as they are quite aware of who I am and my opinion about them.

Despite that you are correct. Their information is generally good so I lurk there to find what I can. If you can put up with some of the personalities there you can find things, as you state.

I'll leave it at that for now.

----------

yep, service with the 6 bc of band 41 has been a complete turn around in NYC for me as well. I'm glad I didn't switch to another carrier bc I love my unlimited plan now. let's just hope they don't start throttling users! I went from 2-3gb on my 5s (band 25 always) to 15gb monthly. also the phone switches from 3G to LTE much faster than before. sometimes I wouldn't get LTE once I was in an lte zone unles I reset with airplane mode. now it always happens seamlessly
I am starting to be of the opinion that Phoenix is going to be one of those places that Sprint customers will always suggest a different carrier for.

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all have their good markets, just like Sprint does. It seems Phoenix is T-Mobile's market.

----------

thx, I was just wondering because i'm trying to figure out if my plan is "acceptable", I actually don't have too much of a problem with sprint service (as I mentioned to you in another thread) but I recently lost a 27% discount and am paying almost $90 for my plan (single line).

of course I know people that have VzN in my area that are capped at around 2gb and pay over $100
No worries! This is one of the reasons I never left Sprint a few years back. Nobody had unlimited and for anything close it was like $500 a month or more.

The Un-Carrier thing is only recent and now T-Mobile has strongly attracted my attention.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I am starting to be of the opinion that Phoenix is going to be one of those places that Sprint customers will always suggest a different carrier for.

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all have their good markets, just like Sprint does. It seems Phoenix is T-Mobile's market.

Does Sprint own low-band spectrum in PHX?

AT&T doesn't own any CLR in PHX, yet their PCS network (+ B17 LTE) seems to be killing it there. I wonder if Sprint will improve for you once B25 (is that correct? 800 LTE) goes up?

No worries! This is one of the reasons I never left Sprint a few years back. Nobody had unlimited and for anything close it was like $500 a month or more.

I know we all go on and on about how important unlimited data is, but how much do you really use? Do you think your data usage will go up a lot after you leave Sprint, since you don't have to rely on wifi as much?

I got one of my friends off Sprint a few months ago and onto VZW's 2gb plan and he doesn't get close to his data cap.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

AT&T doesn't own any CLR in PHX, yet their PCS network (+ B17 LTE) seems to be killing it there. I wonder if Sprint will improve for you once B25 (is that correct? 800 LTE) goes up?
Honestly, I have no idea. A little birdie once told me that the only reason Sprint has a presence in PHX is because Sprint bought out it's local partners during the Nextel merger to stop lawsuits.

So, whatever those guys had, plus Clearwire. I know 800 is rolling out, but for my iPhone 5 that's voice only. Spark will be some time in 2017.
I know we all go on and on about how important unlimited data is, but how much do you really use? Do you think your data usage will go up a lot after you leave Sprint, since you don't have to rely on wifi as much?

I got one of my friends off Sprint a few months ago and onto VZW's 2gb plan and he doesn't get close to his data cap.
Yeah, that has been suggested to me a few times and it makes a certain sense. But I won't go that route simply because it's not what I want to do.

So far this month I've used close to 50GB on WiFi. My behavior has not changed since getting an LTE phone. I still do everything I did with my HTC Touch Pro, it's just on LTE (or should be) now instead of 3G.

So, our usage won't change. It'll just shift from WiFi back to LTE. 10-50GB is about what we were doing on 3G from 2008 to 2012. Nothing's changed much, except Sprint's inability to handle the same amount of load.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

Band 25 is FDD LTE 1900MHz PCS (extended)
-Band 2 is FDD LTE 1900MHz PCS (subset of Band 25)

Band 26 is FDD LTE 800MHz extended CLR
-Band 5 is FDD LTE 850MHz CLR (subset of Band 26)

Band 41 is TD-LTE 2500MHz
-Band 38 is TD-LTE 2600MHz (subset of Band 41, not really relevent but just showing the comparison, although some Sprint cell sites also broadcast at Band 38 in addition to Band 41)

So if Sprint gets B26 up I imagine it will help...I know they have the license for B26 in PHX, just a matter of getting it up...

Does Sprint have B41 up in Phoenix? They have a license for it I know that....probably very little use for iPhone 5/5S users but it might help to take the load off PCS a bit.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
This is pretty sad. Center City Philadelphia and not even 5 up/down on LTE.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 106

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, that's pretty much the top speeds I see.

Someone mentioned over at s4gru that they can be in the middle of Manhattan on T-Mobile with traffic congestion and still see T-Mobile speeds in the low teens. Sprint cannot seem to match that.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

That's just trash... those are AT&T HSPA speeds from years ago.

----------

Someone mentioned over at s4gru that they can be in the middle of Manhattan on T-Mobile with traffic congestion and still see T-Mobile speeds in the low teens. Sprint cannot seem to match that.

I wouldn't believe a sentence that milan03 posts (I know exactly what post you're referring to.) He is a giant T-Mo schill and has no issue spreading BS to make his beloved TMo sound fantastic.

If he posted even 10% of the **** he does on HoFo onto S4GRU, he would be insta-banned and Robert would put an IP block on the S4GRU website. He sometimes makes AJ/Robert seem sane in comparison.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wouldn't believe a sentence that milan03 posts (I know exactly what post you're referring to.) He is a giant T-Mo schill and has no issue spreading BS to make his beloved TMo sound fantastic.

If he posted even 10% of the **** he does on HoFo onto S4GRU, he would be insta-banned and Robert would put an IP block on the S4GRU website. He sometimes makes AJ/Robert seem sane in comparison.
LOL! OK.

That then, has me question just how sane Robert/AJ really are if what you say is correct (not doubting you). Surely they know, and if so, they are giving him a giant pass while throwing rocks at S.Ali and a few others on fiercewireless. Not to mention the unmentioned but clearly present rage at sprintusers.com and howardforums.

Ah well, par for the course over there.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That then, has me question just how sane Robert/AJ really are if what you say is correct (not doubting you). Surely they know, and if so, they are giving him a giant pass while throwing rocks at S.Ali and a few others on fiercewireless. Not to mention the unmentioned but clearly present rage at sprintusers.com and howardforums.

Ah well, par for the course over there.

LOL. I'm sure they know, but it's a different website... and the kid seems to be on his best behavior on S4GRU. I'm sure he'd be insta-banned with one slip-up.

EDIT: haha. S. Ali cracks me up. They all take him so seriously. There's one kid named Bryce/PayneFanBro or something like that... kid acts like Sprint is superb in Boston. Funny part is I live off the same subway line. The entire area is a Sprint LTE deadzone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL. I'm sure they know, but it's a different website... and the kid seems to be on his best behavior on S4GRU. I'm sure he'd be insta-banned with one slip-up.

EDIT: haha. S. Ali cracks me up. They all take him so seriously. There's one kid named Bryce/PayneFanBro or something like that... kid acts like Sprint is superb in Boston. Funny part is I live off the same subway line. The entire area is a Sprint LTE deadzone.
I'm starting to lurk at howardforums now and I think I've seen a few of his posts. Have to keep a closer watch.

Perhaps it's access to information, who knows, that keeps him in line over there.

I will say this. I find it interesting how "great" things are for Sprint now over there, yet how dead the site seems to be (in relation to Sprint info).

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm starting to lurk at howardforums now and I think I've seen a few of his posts. Have to keep a closer watch.

Perhaps it's access to information, who knows, that keeps him in line over there.

I will say this. I find it interesting how "great" things are for Sprint now over there, yet how dead the site seems to be (in relation to Sprint info).

HoFo used to be a great place. I've been there for years. It sort of transitioned from a cell phone community (we would discuss Nokia phones back in the day) to a carrier-discussion site. Sad.. because it's been overrun by TMo schills.

I don't bother posting (just lurk) in the Sprint/TMo sections because the demographics in there are very childish (similar to TMo threads here.) The Sprint sections... rules are similar to S4GRU. No ranting/posting negative experiences. You will get kicked off the section of the site.

In the TMo section... it's a bunch of kids who have drank the Magenta koolaid. Anything negative... and they throw hissy-fits (especially milan03 and his "friends") and pressure the mods to delete/ban you from the section. Just like here... facts don't carry any weight in TMo discussions. Prime example: root metrics tests. When TMo used to loose in them, the fanboys would say they're irrelevant. Now they preach em like the bible.

The ones with their heads screwed on straight... are mostly the ones from the AT&T/VZW sections. They're willing to discuss both sides of every topic and don't mind negative experiences. Stark difference from the babies in the TMo section.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm guessing you're standing in the middle of Sprint's corp HQ in KC to get that speed. As everyone else has already said, Sprint is a joke.
LOL, that's funny!

I say that because it's been reported that Sprint is dead last in KC. It's own HQ.

SMH.

That said, in case it's been misread in any of my posts, Sprint is NOT a joke in certain areas. In some areas Sprint has excellent coverage and speed and dominates the market, just like each of the carriers do in other areas.

My complaints have been mainly that Sprint has not done well in MY area. Fair is fair. I may be leaving Sprint, but that's only because it's failed to live up to standards I've set for it in my area. It doesn't mean Sprint automatically sucks everywhere. And even where I live I know Sprint customers that aren't concerned. Sprint generally works for them and they aren't expecting to get 50mbps down. Facebook loads, they can send email and text in a reasonable amount of time for them, so it works for them.

I'm not defending Sprint by any means, but we can't paint it with a broad brush just because it falls down in places - even if it's a lot of places. Because all of the carriers are the same in that respect.

----------

No I'm in McKinney tx. Lte is pretty good where I'm at.
Are you using an iPhone newer than the iPhone 5?

I ask because that seems like speeds from a dual band or triband (Spark) device. Either that or Sprint has really improved in your area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.