Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Hi Leon,

I’ve seen some of your youtube videos regarding repairing 3GS iphones with backlight problems and wondered if you could possibly give me some info so I can hopefully repair mine.

I did have a working 3GS iphone and took it apart to change the battery and now the screen is permanently dim. Ive checked the display brightness and that has no effect. Also checked the 6R8 coil and it seems ok @ 0.5ohms. Only thing I noticed were pins 1/2/3 on the LCD connector were a bit discoloured. Cleaned up the connector with fluxclean and all looks fine now. Not sure if this was an indication of some other problem?

I also read that sometimes the track can break between IC 109B and the LCD connector. Do you have precise details of this so I can check the track? Is it 3rd pin down on the LCD connector from the side furthest away from the camera and nearest to the edge of the board and on the 109B is it the side nearest the edge of the board and furthest away from the 6R8 coil. And these two points should be connected I presume? Currently they are not on my board! So does this mean a link is required?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.