Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Of course not!

I only wish I could experience such credulous enjoyment.

Oh, that I was able to regress and somehow be capable of seeing Interstellar through naive eyes, I too might rate it highly!

:)

You are digging a hole for yourself now. ;)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Yep, let's chastise people for liking a movie that's SO beneath me. I mean I was born knowing everything there is to know about theoretical physics and science fiction. I couldn't fathom anyone else wanting to be interested in that stuff because that's MY TURF. What do I have if other people are intruding on MY TURF, that only I and other people exactly like me should be able to like.

The spreading of genres so that other people can like them is so dumb and antiquated.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Yep, let's chastise people for liking a movie that's SO beneath me. I mean I was born knowing everything there is to know about theoretical physics and science fiction. I couldn't fathom anyone else wanting to be interested in that stuff because that's MY TURF. What do I have if other people are intruding on MY TURF, that only I and other people exactly like me should be able to like.

The spreading of genres so that other people can like them is so dumb and antiquated.

I don't think you understood what I wrote - - I am honestly envious of people who enjoyed Interstellar.

I have no wish to deny that feeling to them. I walked into Interstellar hoping I would love it, and it's to my own misfortune that I happened to dislike it. But I can't wait to see the next great science-fiction movie that I will be able to rate an A+.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Well I for one really enjoyed it and will be purchasing when it is released to watch again.

I think the main part of it is that I love anything to do with space so this was right up my street.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have to believe there is a group of people who don't like the movie because of the temporal paradox, not thinking of you bobob. ;) Being able to go with the flow, and just accepting it along with some plot coincidences of convienence is essential.

Time travel paradoxes such as Back To The Future seems to be easier to swallow, where Marty's picture starts to fade because he almost prevented his parents from getting together. And the setting was back on Earth, not on mostly boring planets. One plus for the movie, is that the planets were boring, (picturing the Moon and Mars)and in essence, realistic. Dr Mann's planet would have sucked, even if you could have stayed there. :D

DesignG

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Hey!
I think Interstellar is the best movie of all time! Some people are a bit dump in my opinion. This is a MOVIE- Nolan wants to tell us a story. Did he said it is a action documentary? No. Why is nobody complaining about the transformers- how the hell cars transform to robots. I think its so sad to be such negative to this movie.
This movie is more art then the most. I think he made a test screening to change the ending so many people will like it. He wanted to tell us his awesome story.

This movie is great in every aspect: aestetically and visually.

I played today a bit with photoshop to create this beauty.
1461531_667116323385512_5432582390158941534_n.jpg

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Christopher Nolan has revealed the secret to enjoying his films in an interview quoted in this excellent review from the renowned Film Comment magazine...

“What I’ve found is, people who let my films wash over them—who don’t treat it like a crossword puzzle, or like there is a test afterwards—they get the most out of the film.”

It's really a restatement of the advice given in this classic film moment.

The less time you waste on all that pesky thinking nonsense, the better Nolan's films look!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Christopher Nolan has revealed the secret to enjoying his films in an interview quoted in this excellent review from the renowned Film Comment magazine...

“What I’ve found is, people who let my films wash over them—who don’t treat it like a crossword puzzle, or like there is a test afterwards—they get the most out of the film.”

It's really a restatement of the advice given in this classic film moment.

The less time you waste on all that pesky thinking nonsense, the better Nolan's films look!

I've come realize there are spoiler free reviews vs spoiler laden reviews. This is the latter. This comment made me chuckle:

Yet my Brit sensibility recoils at the idea of an English director so wholeheartedly embracing American myth that he can cheerfully present us with the idea that the destiny of our entire species is being forged in a Midwestern cornfield.

Hey the story had to happen somewhere. ;)

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I have to believe there is a group of people who don't like the movie because of the temporal paradox, not thinking of you bobob. ;) Being able to go with the flow, and just accepting it along with some plot coincidences of convienence is essential.

Time travel paradoxes such as Back To The Future seems to be easier to swallow, where Marty's picture starts to fade because he almost prevented his parents from getting together. And the setting was back on Earth, not on mostly boring planets. One plus for the movie, is that the planets were boring, (picturing the Moon and Mars)and in essence, realistic. Dr Mann's planet would have sucked, even if you could have stayed there. :D

I didn't like this movie and thought I'd join in the conversation.

I am a nerdy geek that loves all things real and fiction when it comes to science, physics, maths etc. I have been reading loads of things about the physics of this film and it is all fascinating. The main issue I have with Interstellar is that it is, IMHO, a dull film. I can watch a film and ignore the reality. I ignore the paradoxes. It is a story and I want to be entertained. If I want to think then I might try Discovery Channel !!!!:roll eyes:

I enjoyed all the Alien movies, some more than others but I have seen them all many times. Back to the Future is a great trilogy set. I watched 3 back to back just the other day. Excellent fun....full of holes if you want to think about the physics but so what......

Maybe Interstellar was too accurate (or trying to be) as the story telling was long winded and dull. Yes, the visuals were amazing (again, I enjoyed Gravity for the same reason) but I seriously doubt I'd sit through either movie again. I don't think the ending of a film where everything is wrapped up neatly in the last 5 minutes is very satisfying to watch. Interstellar just seemed to make huge leaps in order to finish the film. Maybe it was supposed to be another 2 hours longer:p

Anyway, didn't like the film, liked the pretty pictures.... that's my input.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I didn't like this movie and thought I'd join in the conversation.

I am a nerdy geek that loves all things real and fiction when it comes to science, physics, maths etc. I have been reading loads of things about the physics of this film and it is all fascinating. The main issue I have with Interstellar is that it is, IMHO, a dull film. I can watch a film and ignore the reality. I ignore the paradoxes. It is a story and I want to be entertained. If I want to think then I might try Discovery Channel !!!!:roll eyes:

I enjoyed all the Alien movies, some more than others but I have seen them all many times. Back to the Future is a great trilogy set. I watched 3 back to back just the other day. Excellent fun....full of holes if you want to think about the physics but so what......

Maybe Interstellar was too accurate (or trying to be) as the story telling was long winded and dull. Yes, the visuals were amazing (again, I enjoyed Gravity for the same reason) but I seriously doubt I'd sit through either movie again. I don't think the ending of a film where everything is wrapped up neatly in the last 5 minutes is very satisfying to watch. Interstellar just seemed to make huge leaps in order to finish the film. Maybe it was supposed to be another 2 hours longer:p

Anyway, didn't like the film, liked the pretty pictures.... that's my input.

Accepted! :) I'll have to watch this movie again before I decide it's worthy of purchase. Back To The Future has a much higher entertainment value although the third installment annoyed me a bit. And I've forgotten most of the second installment when they go to the future. I need to break that one out again. :)

update: BTTF2 Forced and repetitious, no wonder I don't remember much of it although it sets up part 3 nicely. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Interstellar Spoilers, some not shielded., Pulled from the "What Movie You Watching Thread.

I know. :)

Spoilers
Thing is, why would 'they' (5th dimension folks) set up such a frail, luck dependent, 'bound to fail' method of fixing things in the past when they were smart enough to develop a Tesseract in the first place? Not to mention the basic question of how it is even possible for mankind to 'evolve' in such a way to rescue themselves from extinction in the past? edit: And I don't mean 'how did they create the Tesseract specifically' but how could mankind survive in the first place to evolve up to a point where it could rescue itself in the past? Basic question which always comes up when having to do with timetravel (or related ;)) topics - Nolan spells out a lot of things, details etc but avoids this basic question (unless I just missed it, certainly possible since I watched it in English).

I want answers, Huntn! ;D

As for the Kubrick ending, I absolutely love it!

But to anyone who liked Interstellar (and 2001 of course) and haven't watched those already: I highly recommend Moon and Tarkovsky's Solaris.

Not trying to sound like I'm preaching to you, but this is why time travel paradoxes can be so aggravating. Why indeed do we have to save our past selves, when we've clearly made it to the future? It's like an act of faith to go with a story like this, accepting something that seems impossible, so the rest of the story can be enjoyed. ;)

Does anyone know if there is any scientific hypothesizes floating around that entertains the notion of time travel? I don't see the past as existing as anything other than a memory. That we are locked in the present, although time may be occurring at different rates for all matter depending on its relative speed to other matter.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone know if there is any scientific hypothesizes floating around that entertains the notion of time travel?

I imagine the hypothesized multiverse would not be antithetical to time travel - - with each action a new universe is carved off to join the infinite number of other universes where different actions occured.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Not trying to sound like I'm preaching to you, but this is why time travel paradoxes can be so aggravating. Why indeed do we have to save our past selves, when we've clearly made it to the future? It's like an act of faith to go with a story like this, accepting something that seems impossible, so the rest of the story can be enjoyed. ;)

Thanks for answering, Huntn. Preachy? why? Tbh I can't follow MR as closely as I did before so maybe I missed your previous part about that matter (?).

I thought I probably missed / misunderstood the 'explanation' or at least questioning about that in the movie. Didn't know this thread existed so eventually read the other opinions but seems like I didn't miss sth. Even more disappointing - you can't set up a movie like that but avoid this basic question. Makes the protagonists look foolish too and the movie pretentious. And I'm not sure whether I'd say 'faith' is the right word to describe the stance you'd have to take to go on with it. More like 'ignoring it' - which is just a horrible thing to do. I'm exaggerating of course :D

Glad you could enjoyed it! ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I imagine the hypothesized multiverse would not be antithetical to time travel - - with each action a new universe is carved off to join the infinite number of other universes where different actions occured.

The multiverse is just as mind boggling as time travel. Stephan Kawking was asked about time travel in 2012 and he did not sound convinced. ;)

What would it take to make time travel a reality, and how would that affect the present reality? (via Arik Korman, 95.7 KJR)

We are all travelling forward in time anyway. We can fast forward by going off in a rocket at high speed and return to find everyone on Earth much older or dead. Einstein's general theory of relativity seems to offer the possibility that we could warp space-time so much that we could travel back in time. However, it is likely that warping would trigger a bolt of radiation that would destroy the spaceship and maybe the space-time itself. I have experimental evidence that time travel is not possible. I gave a party for time-travelers, but I didn't send out the invitations until after the party. I sat there a long time, but no one came.
(link)

Thanks for answering, Huntn. Preachy? why? Tbh I can't follow MR as closely as I did before so maybe I missed your previous part about that matter (?).

I thought I probably missed / misunderstood the 'explanation' or at least questioning about that in the movie. Didn't know this thread existed so eventually read the other opinions but seems like I didn't miss sth. Even more disappointing - you can't set up a movie like that but avoid this basic question. Makes the protagonists look foolish too and the movie pretentious. And I'm not sure whether I'd say 'faith' is the right word to describe the stance you'd have to take to go on with it. More like 'ignoring it' - which is just a horrible thing to do. I'm exaggerating of course :D

Glad you could enjoyed it! ;)

I was just clarifying that I'm not trying to sound like I'm speaking from a position of authority on the subject. :)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So were people going to go to the new planet or not? They seemed to be settled in nicely in their space station.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
If Interstellar had been 1/100th as inspiring as the short film Wanderers, I would be singing it's praises from the rooftops.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If Interstellar had been 1/100th as inspiring as the short film Wanderers, I would be singing it's praises from the rooftops.

That was great, but in Interstellar's defense it had no story and it was 4 min long.. :) Among the best visuals for a recent movie were you get this kind of vibe is the arrival at LV-223 in the movie Prometheus. Visuals and music have a powerful effect. I felt like I was there, discovering this new planet. :D

O_publicity_mpc_selects_v1.1005.jpg
PrometheusLV223.jpg
LV-223

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
That was great, but in Interstellar's defense it had no story and it was 4 min long.. :)
Sure, Interstellar had a story, but that was it's weakest feature - - the screenplay was just awful.

Among the best visuals for a recent movie were you get this kind of vibe is the arrival at LV-223 in the movie Prometheus. Visuals and music have a powerful effect. I felt like I was there, discovering this new planet. :D
Quoting another sci-fi movie with a terrible screenplay? You must be a strictly visual person.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
it was great, you just have to take into the human nature of all this as well as the scientific accuracy

I'm really late, but wow it was pretty crazy, just imagine if you were in their place.

But how long was matt damon there for? He cracked from isolation, so I'm assuming the black hole didnt effect him the time that much and he was there for some odd 5 years? not the 12 full years from which they launched from I'm assuming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.