Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have an iPad and read my iBooks on it. My girlfriend has a Kindle and I was wondering if I can read my books on that as well?

It's a little smaller and easier to read while on the go - is there a way to convert my files for Kindle use?

Thanks

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Apple & Amazon devices are not interoperable as it happens. You could read your ebooks on your girlfriends kindle if the books were purchased via her Amazon account as oppose to iBooks

Likewise if you read ebooks via the kindle app on your iPad you'd need to link the app with her Amazon account to read the books.

silentbob007

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
Little Rock, AR
Besides mp3s, Apple loves selling digital content with drm and making sure you have an iDevice in order to access it. Amazon takes the opposite strategy with their drm ... sell the content and be able to view it (within an app) on as much hardware as possible.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
It's not impossible, but the different companies and formats do make it difficult. The link mentioned above is a good start, though I'd suggest Calibre for converting ePub files into Mobis.

I read on both an iPad (Air 2) and a Kindle Paperwhite. Before the Air 2 I had a retina Mini.

My suggestion is to use the Kindle app for reading on the iPad, and get a Paperwhite with your own Amazon account for reading on a Kindle, then use wifi to sync between the two.

imronburgundy

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
I agree. Use the Kindle app for eBook purchases. Then you can pretty much read on any device. Otherwise, you're stuck to just iDevices.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

That software to remove drm from iBooks stopped working a long time ago. Some iBooks have no drm (it's up to the publisher whether they have drm or not -- Apple doesn't make that decision), and those can be converted to Kindle format. I'd recommend using calibre, as another poster mentioned. But for iBooks with drm, the only way to read them is on iOS or Macs.

junglefor

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
iBooks on iPad and Kindle

install ibooks app for iPad or ibooks app for kindle.
and you can transfer Kindle Books to iBooks with epubor kindle software as easy as abc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.