Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

A splendid Tom Clancy story!

Went to see Birdman yesterday. Oh my god what a terrible, horrendous movie. I went to see it because of the good reviews and people were saying Michael Keaton was a front runner for best actor......just no.

The soundtrack to the film had this persistent drums and percussion line which didn't FIT in with the mood of the movie. Michael Keaton screaming all the time at people is not acting. Terribly overacted, and he was the worst part. I can scream at everyone I talk to also; doesn't make me a good actor. Edward Norton's character was the most unrealistic portrayal of anyone I've ever seen. The only good part was Emma Stone and her performance was medicore at best. My friend who told watched it, told me the ending, and it was even more ridiculous than the first part of the movie.

I tend to like these movies as well. The plot was vaguely similar to Black Swan (which I enjoyed). I fell asleep during the first 15 minutes and then left an hour in to the movie. The last time I left in the middle of a film was Iron Man 2 and that was worlds better than birdman. Definitely the worst movie I've ever seen.

OMG, thanks for the warning! :) So not a Michael Keaton comeback... Wait a minute, if you fell asleep, you might have missed one of the good parts! :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've not heard of that one. I'll have to look it up. I still have two credits at audible.com to use.

I-am-shocked. ;)

I read it back in 86 and having just came out of the USN, was chuckling about this talk of "Steal Fighters". I was like, "yeah, right". Turned out, the laugh was on me. ;)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
As a fellow Woody devotee, I completely agree. I watched Annie Hall this weekend, and I will truly miss him when he goes. Hopefully not for quite a long while.
He actually got better with age.
Scoop, Match Point and Cassandras dream were true masterpieces.

He didn't direct fading gigolo, but I highly recommend it. Full with quirky jewish humor, an all-star cast and amazing cinematography. You don't get many movies of that quality nowadays.

I was a bit dissapointed by "meet a tall dark stranger" and "midnight in paris" though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Knight and Day (2010)- Most excellent Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz light hearted, tongue-in-cheek, escapist over the top, action adventure. 68 GTO! rank it up there with True Lies. :)

knight-and-day-trailer-2.jpg

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
^ LOL her facial expression is everything. That's great. I agree that was a fun movie.

Watched Stretch again and laughed a lot harder. Now that I am deep in a screenwriting class, I not only see the structure (thanks Mr. Carnahan), but how it rips so much of Hollywood/celebrity a new one. I hope Universal wakes up and releases this on blu ray with the blooper reel (which is one of the funniest I've ever watched.) I love Chris Pine, but Patrick Wilson is pretty terrific too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
^ LOL her facial expression is everything. That's great. I agree that was a fun movie.

Watched Stretch again and laughed a lot harder. Now that I am deep in a screenwriting class, I not only see the structure (thanks Mr. Carnahan), but how it rips so much of Hollywood/celebrity a new one. I hope Universal wakes up and releases this on blu ray with the blooper reel (which is one of the funniest I've ever watched.) I love Chris Pine, but Patrick Wilson is pretty terrific too.

"Bulls!"

One of the funniest parts of that movie is "On Three". :)

natsinicky

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
Knight and Day (2010)- Most excellent Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz light hearted, tongue-in-cheek, escapist over the top, action adventure. 68 GTO! rank it up there with True Lies. :)

View attachment 514951

When that was in theaters, a few girls and myself went to see Inception. The show was sold out, so we compromised to see Knight and Day, since it was playing next. We laughed so hard the whole time, it was wonderful. I think we thought it was so good because we weren't expecting it to be a comedy at all. Highly recommend!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When that was in theaters, a few girls and myself went to see Inception. The show was sold out, so we compromised to see Knight and Day, since it was playing next. We laughed so hard the whole time, it was wonderful. I think we thought it was so good because we weren't expecting it to be a comedy at all. Highly recommend!

It's an underrated film for sure. :)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I watched "The Painting" (or Le Tableau), a French animated film which was really lovely. Beautiful story and animation. Love, death, cruelty, existentialism & paint.

Attachments

• 102411_gal.jpg
    102411_gal.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 96186_gal.jpg
    96186_gal.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 48

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
He actually got better with age.
Scoop, Match Point and Cassandras dream were true masterpieces.

He didn't direct fading gigolo, but I highly recommend it. Full with quirky jewish humor, an all-star cast and amazing cinematography. You don't get many movies of that quality nowadays.

I was a bit dissapointed by "meet a tall dark stranger" and "midnight in paris" though.

Really? I loved Midnight in Paris! But I'm still trying to watch as many as I can. I've only seen fewer than a dozen, and have a lot of catching up to do. It's unfortunate how busy this time of year gets- I would love to indulge and just binge watch his stuff, but I'm so darned busy that I haven't had a chance to even log onto MacRumors for a few days!! D:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Amazing Spiderman (2012)- Good, but not as good as the Tobey McQuire version. A new nemesis, another good guy who makes a bad decision to experiment on himself. Delusions of grandure. Kind of been there, done that.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Silver Linings Playbook

Seriously, is there a better actress than Jennifer Lawrence right now?

She has "it".

Jodorowsky's Dune - a little Alejandro goes a long way. It was interesting to see designs Giger would port over to Alien though.

A documentary of his failed attempt to make "Dune"? When did he try as compared to the 1984 Dune?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
She has "it".

A documentary of his failed attempt to make "Dune"? When did he try as compared to the 1984 Dune?

Jodo attempted to make this in the mid 70s, he had most of the Alien crew (Giger, Foss, O'Bannon etc.) According to the documentary, the studios loved everything but Jodorowsky directing it. He eventually saw the 1984 Dune and was relieved at how "awful" it was.

And speaking of Alien, just finishing up. Always enjoy watching it. "I won't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies..."

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been watching a few movies on TCM the past couple of days...

Duel (1971)
A business commuter is pursued and terrorized by a malevolent driver of a massive tractor-trailer.
Duel.png

Slither (1973)
While searching for a small fortune of embezzled money, an ex-con, a small-time bandleader, his doting wife and a kooky drifter find themselves being followed.
Slither.png

Scarecrow (1973)
Max, an ex-con drifter with a penchant for brawling is amused by Lion, a homeless ex-sailor, and they partner up as they head east together.
Scarecrow.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Seven Days In May (1964)- Tremendous Cold War drama about a nuclear treaty with the Russians pushed through by an unpopular President, that threatens the U.S. Government and Constitution. All star cast, great performances by Kirk Douglass, Burt Lancaster, Frederick March, Martin Balsam, and Edmund O'Brian.

This is a class of movie they can't duplicate today. Very similiar feeling to other Cold War classics like Fail Safe, The Manchurian Candidate, The Bedford Incident, and even Dr. Strangelove.

72.jpg

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Seven Days In May (1964)- Tremendous Cold War drama about a nuclear treaty with the Russians and pushed through by an unpopular President, that threatens the U.S. Government and Constitution. All star cast, great performances by Kirk Douglass, Burt Lancaster, Frederick March, Martin Balsam, and Edmund O'Brian.

This is a class of movie they can't duplicate today. Very similiar feeling to other Cold War classics like Fail Safe, The Manchurian Candidate, The Bedford Incident, and even Dr. Strangelove.

View attachment 515542

That's one I haven't seen before, it sounds like something I'd like to see and will go look for it. Thanks for sharing it!

Meanwhile, I just finished The Last Detail (1973).
Two Navy men are ordered to bring a young offender to prison but decide to show him one last good time along the way.
Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 7.12.30 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.