Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I would say the 5S is closer in speed to the 4S than the 6. I'm seriously thinking about going back to the 6 now, it really was lightning fast. Could it be because I'm running 7.1.2?

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The 5S and 6 are closer in performance than the 5S and the 4S. The 5S completely blows the 4S away. It was probably more powerful than it even needed to be to run iOS and its apps.

KuchiKopi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Actually I agree with the OP. Specs are one thing but in the real world the 5S is just kind of a dog compared to the 6. My friend with a 5S is about ready to order a 6 after seeing my 6+ in action.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I would say the 5S is closer in speed to the 4S the 6. I'm seriously thinking about going back to the 6 now, it really was lightning fast. Could it be because I'm running 7.1.2?

No way is the 5S anywhere near the speed of the 4S.. an iPhone 5 is much faster, let alone a 5S.

I have a 6 and my wife has a 5S. I dont see that much of a speed difference.

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I have the 6 but I also keep the 5s, and my mom has the 4s.

I must say that either the 6 or 5s are very smooth and fast. Obviously the 6 is more capable but in real world you would not notice it, only if you compare them side by side.

On the other hand the 4s was blazing fast as well in iOS 5 days, but nowadays is painfully slow.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Actually I agree with the OP. Specs are one thing but in the real world the 5S is just kind of a dog compared to the 6. My friend with a 5S is about ready to order a 6 after seeing my 6+ in action.

total BS alert.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
What benchmark are you using when you say it's a "good deal faster" especially when you say the 5s is closer to the 4s in performance? In most measured benchmarks I've seen, including real world usage measures, the 5s comes close to the 6/6 Plus. The optimizations for the A8 SoC on the 6/6 Plus have focused on the power consumption and the graphics performance -- basically allowing for a larger screen and doubling the resolution, without making the phone heavier or reducing the battery life. Apple did not build a huge increase in processing power into the A8.

Apple optimized for raw speed and computing power when they designed the A7. The 5s can almost match the 6/6 Plus' performance, although the chip is more power hungry and the graphics operate at half the resolution.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
What benchmark are you using when you say it's a "good deal faster" especially when you say the 5s is closer to the 4s in performance? In most measured benchmarks I've seen, including real world usage measures, the 5s comes close to the 6/6 Plus. The optimizations for the A8 SoC on the 6/6 Plus have focused on the power consumption and the graphics performance -- basically allowing for a larger screen and doubling the resolution, without making the phone heavier or reducing the battery life. Apple did not build a huge increase in processing power into the A8.

Apple optimized for raw speed and computing power when they designed the A7. The 5s can almost match the 6/6 Plus' performance, although the chip is more power hungry and the graphics operate at half the resolution.

Its not benchmarks man, its real world performance. It looks snappier. /s

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think someone is just excited about a new purchase. In the real world the 6 is NOT that much faster. And the 5S is certainly not anywhere near 4S performance levels.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I would say the 5S is closer in speed to the 4S the 6. I'm seriously thinking about going back to the 6 now, it really was lightning fast. Could it be because I'm running 7.1.2?

If using the Internet to determine how much faster each model is, your data connect could play a role in fastness.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

When I use the phones, the 6 is a solid 1-2 seconds faster at loading apps. Huge difference. For the above posters to scoff and say it's not noticeable is just ridiculous. And I'm on 7.1.2, the most polished version of the software written specifically for the 5S.

I'm not sure why this is specifically, as you seem to know the specs pretty well, but I know what I've experienced.

----------

If using the Internet to determine how much faster each model is, your data connect could play a role in fastness.

But if they're both used on the same wifi how could this matter?

----------

I think someone is just excited about a new purchase. In the real world the 6 is NOT that much faster. And the 5S is certainly not anywhere near 4S performance levels.

I just returned the 6 for the 5S due to size/comfort. After being told there was no noticeable difference in speed I expected it to be a perfect fit. It's definitely faster than the 4S but it's also definitely not as fast as the 6. Not even close. The 6 was almost instant in app loading.

----------

the 5S is only about 25% slower than the 6.

Agree. This amounts to be a lot, for better or worse.

----------

I have the 6 but I also keep the 5s, and my mom has the 4s.

I must say that either the 6 or 5s are very smooth and fast. Obviously the 6 is more capable but in real world you would not notice it, only if you compare them side by side.

On the other hand the 4s was blazing fast as well in iOS 5 days, but nowadays is painfully slow.
As I said above, the 6 loads apps almost instantaneously. The 5S is simply not at that level.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Pfttt.. I've used both and theres not that much of a difference. There is a *slight* difference, but its not that terribly noticeable. The 5S stutters with iOS 8, but then again so does the iPhone 6. You've got to be looking at least at the 5 or really 4S to see a massive drop in performance compared to the 6.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
As someone who still has the 4s as their only phone and who has used the 5s it's absolutely nowhere near the performance of my phone. My phone is slow as ****.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
OP,
I'm interested in hearing which apps are loading 1-2 seconds faster. I can rest all three devices (5s, 6, 6plus) once my wife gets home. We don't game much but we do mobile banking, lots of GPS, yelp, messaging, etc. like I said, I've seen no real notable difference; certainly NOT 1-2 seconds worth.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
OP,
I'm interested in hearing which apps are loading 1-2 seconds faster. I can rest all three devices (5s, 6, 6plus) once my wife gets home. We don't game much but we do mobile banking, lots of GPS, yelp, messaging, etc. like I said, I've seen no real notable difference; certainly NOT 1-2 seconds worth.

All of them, but specifically the ones that I use most - Facebook, Twitter, Chase, Weather Channel, and eBay.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Two questionable members agreeing with each other. Wow :D

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Two questionable members agreeing with each other. Wow :D

Let's turn to conspiracy rather than examine the facts...

Have you used both phones? If so, how can you say that the 6 is not a solid grade faster, at least in app loading which is a pretty solid metric?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Have you used both phones? If so, how can you say that the 6 is not a solid grade faster, at least in app loading which is a pretty solid metric?

I've had all iterations since the original. The speed difference is most certainly nothing like going from the 3G to 3GS, or even from the 4 to 4s.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

No one isn't saying the 6 isn't noticeably faster, the point is that the performance difference between the 5S and 6 is a lot smaller than the difference between the 4S and 5S which is the opposite of what your original post claimed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.