Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Buy the Air 2. It's a really nice machine IMO. I have had mine for several weeks now and I love it.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I'm also a first time buyer. I could get an

iPad Air 16gb for 249 € ($ 310) or
an Air 2 64gb for 584 € ($ 730).

I'm wondering which one to take. Is the 16GB going to feel too small immediately? I'm going to buy iPad mainly for studying purposes. The money is an issue since I'm a student, but I want to make the right decision.

Air 2 has way more power and more storage space, so is it going to be a lot more future-proof?

air 2 is of course future proof, but for more than twice the price? well;)

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
depends on usage

I'm wondering which one to take. Is the 16GB going to feel too small immediately? I'm going to buy iPad mainly for studying purposes. The money is an issue since I'm a student, but I want to make the right decision.

Air 2 has way more power and more storage space, so is it going to be a lot more future-proof?

16 gb is just an entry into the ecosystem and coulb be fine if you only require an interface; yet you will quickly run out of memory when you would start storing movies or pictures, or even music. And it would make upgrading the ios more complex.

So I would bite the bullet and cash out: that will make your expense much more useable and future proof.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
16 gb is just an entry into the ecosystem and could be fine if you only require an interface; yet you will quickly run out of memory when you would start storing movies or pictures, or even music. And it would make upgrading the ios more complex.
True. It's not even just movies, music and pictures taking up a lot of space nowadays. The apps have become pretty hefty, too. I don't store any movies, music or pictures on my iPad Air but I've often been unable to update apps because I had 0MB free space.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Future proof is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot when a new device comes out. I ain't buying into it. The next big thing will come along and the hardware will again get bumped. Then, the hot item now starts to look dated.

Just saying.... The Air 2 has strong specs now. In a year from now or a year and a half from now we'll have to revisit that.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Future proof is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot when a new device comes out. I ain't buying into it. The next big thing will come along and the hardware will again get bumped. Then, the hot item now starts to look dated.

Just saying.... The Air 2 has strong specs now. In a year from now or a year and a half from now we'll have to revisit that.

If a year and a half from now the iPad Air 2 is dated (3 cores, 2GB RAM), what does that make the iPad Air 1 (2 cores, 1GB RAM)? :eek:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
At that price, get the Air 2 but only if the screen vibration will not bother you.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS

pretty big price difference.. What about looking at a 32GB Air 1? Should be a nice compromise between specs/storage size and price.

psbliss

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
First time purchaser here. If I want to use the same device as a desktop and laptop, will the Air 2 suffice or should I consider the Mac Pro?

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
First time purchaser here. If I want to use the same device as a desktop and laptop, will the Air 2 suffice or should I consider the Mac Pro?

$500+ tablet vs $3,000+ workstation...

Surely you mean MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro?
Even then it all depends on what you want to do on the device(s).

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010

Hahaha "I need a car for daily driving, should I get this convertible or a big pick-up truck instead?"

psbliss

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
$500+ tablet vs $3,000+ workstation...

Surely you mean MacBook Pro, not Mac Pro?
Even then it all depends on what you want to do on the device(s).

Sorry, huge typo. Yes, I meant Macbook Pro. I'm not a gamer and rarely watch movies on any portable device (although I may start if the quality and screen size makes for a great viewing experience). I'll mostly use the computer for web surfing, youtube videos/music, emails and occasional printing of word documents.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Sorry, huge typo. Yes, I meant Macbook Pro. I'm not a gamer and rarely watch movies on any portable device (although I may start if the quality and screen size makes for a great viewing experience). I'll mostly use the computer for web surfing, youtube videos/music, emails and occasional printing of word documents.

iPad would probably be good enough then. I do almost all of my web browsing on an iPad now, just so handy to pick up and go. Email too. I also watch lots of videos on the iPad. Mostly TV shows because I prefer to watch movies on a big screen but even then movie watching is fine on an iPad.

psbliss

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
iPad would probably be good enough then. I do almost all of my web browsing on an iPad now, just so handy to pick up and go. Email too. I also watch lots of videos on the iPad. Mostly TV shows because I prefer to watch movies on a big screen but even then movie watching is fine on an iPad.

Forgive my ignorance, but can I connect the ipad to a printer?

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
Forgive my ignorance, but can I connect the ipad to a printer?

Some printer manufacturers offer printing capability besides AirPrint. Brother has an own app that can print files, websites and text from clipboard etc.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I thought i read somewhere that the iPad Air 2 screen isn't as high a contrast as the iPad Air 1 screen. Has anybody who has compared both noticed much difference in screen quality?

teemu01

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Thank you for the answers.

I decided to not go with the cheap 16GB Air 1, since the small storage capacity would be a problem in the long-term use. In addition, the great performance of the Air 2 is very appealing, even at a higher price.

I'm choosing the investment over the bargain.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Future proof is never forever. Just like every ipad before it, it'll eventually become unstable and or unusable at some point. The Air 2 does have some beefy hardware which is great.

That being said, I wouldn't buy one for the sole reason of expecting to last for years and years though. Something better is always around the corner. ;)

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I have both and prefer the 2. Nothing at all wrong with the 1 and it's quite a
bargain now, but the 2 just feels better, a little lighter, thinner and quicker.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have both. I would recommend iPad Air 1, even if cash is not an option. The touch sensitivity is less on the iPad Air 2, presumably due to the laminated screen. The battery charging time and life is also a bit less on the new iPad.

I'm a pharmacist so I will spend a fair amount of time reading on new drugs, clinical trials. Outside work, I read a large amount of manga and Japanese light novels.

In addition to the Air 1 or Air 2, what would be considered enough of a price difference between the two devices at 64GB that would make the Air 1 the better buy? Asking for opinion because my local staples has the 64GB Air 1 @ $425.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.