Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaylorRae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Today when I opened my laptop the screen pixelated and blacked out. I held down the power button and during the restart it froze just after the Apple logo disappeared.

My initial thought, along with the local computer shop, was the hard drive had gone bad. I installed a Samsung 840 Pro earlier this year which seemed odd for it to fail this quickly, but it was an explainable diagnosis.

They installed a new Samsung 840EVO and I went on my way.

My plan to reinstall OSX was to boot from the original HDD, which was running perfectly before I removed it and just last week from an enclosure, and install 10.10 from a local backup.

When I connected the HDD the computer booted and froze at the same place just after the apple logo disappeared.

For good measure I connected the recent SSD (840 Pro) to a running MBP and it loaded instantly with access to all my files.

This leads me to believe the SSD is fine and the problem is the computer itself.

Here's a list of things I've tried to get the computer running on the original HDD. Not in this order.

- reset the PRAM
- boot into single user mode
- boot into safe mode
- verbose mode (also with safe mode)

Aside from resetting the PRAM nothing has made a difference to the boot up. It hangs on the grey screen and nothing is outputted whe I boot with verbose mode.

Is my computer a goner? Is there something else I should try?

I tried to boot into recoveryfrom the HDD and the screen turned blue with vertical lines (top to bottom). What could this mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's no way to make this sound good.
Search for "radeongate"
Your 2011 15-inch MBPro is one that's most commonly affected.
Your symptom of banding is just one of the symptoms.
It means your graphics chip is on its way down to failure.
Your issue is currently in tech news (and has been for some time now), and is also the focus of a class-action suit against Apple.

BaylorRae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I had heard of the 2011 graphics card failures. Wasn't sure if this was related or not.

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'll be buying a new MB sooner than I planned :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.