Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrogLick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I've got a Lynksys WRT54GS with the latest firmware update (7.50.8.001), WPA-Personal, tkip. The iPad finds the network showing the SSID but it will not JOIN after entering the password. I've tried everything I can but don't seem to be able to get WiFi access. I've got a desktop and 2 laptops that get excellent signal strength and have no problems connecting and the iPad connects to a Netgear router out at my farm without any problem. I have never managed to get our iPhone to connect here either so I'm totally stumped. I've never had a problem with this router and excellent signal strength on all my computers throughoout the house; iPad shows 2 bars even when it take it to with a couple of feet (or less) of the router. I'm sure with all the experienced users on this forum (hopefully with this same router) someone will be able to tell me what I'm missing that's probably obvious.

FrogLick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Okay, I set router security to "None" (and also changed the settings on my desktop so I could post this reply). The iPad is still seeing the network as unlocked, but just endlessly attempts to join without success in making a connection.

magiclaffs

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Same Prob

Ok, this may sound weird but I had the same problem. I was using a netgear wireless router and a linksys access point. I had monkeyed around with the channels and discovered that the both the Iphone 3G and Ipad do not like channel eleven.

Go into your wifi settings page (look on the bottom of the router for the IP address and ID/password and access that page on your browser. Navigate to the settings for the channel on which it broadcasts. Some routers have automatic channeling so you can manually do this. Set it to 3 or 6 and see what kind of results you get.

Hope this helps

FrogLick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I've been using channel 6 ever since I originally set up this router. I've turned off the WPA security but didn't do anything with the MAC address. After the iPad recognized the network as unlocked I went into the settings, verified the DHCP settings, added my ISP's domain, renewed the least and now it's connecting. Although the signal strength mostly only shows 2 bars and sometimes 3, that behavior doen't change even if I have the iPad withing a couple of feet of the router. Guess that reception issue is not unique to me and well known to Apple by now - go figure! All of my other 3 computers have excellent signal strength from almost anywhere in the house so obviously the router is broadcasting well.

I'm going to leave my network unsecure for a little while to make sure the iPad continues to connect w/o problem then add WPA security back and see what happens.

shakenmartini

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2008
I've been using channel 6 ever since I originally set up this router. I've turned off the WPA security but didn't do anything with the MAC address. After the iPad recognized the network as unlocked I went into the settings, verified the DHCP settings, added my ISP's domain, renewed the least and now it's connecting. Although the signal strength mostly only shows 2 bars and sometimes 3, that behavior doen't change even if I have the iPad withing a couple of feet of the router. Guess that reception issue is not unique to me and well known to Apple by now - go figure! All of my other 3 computers have excellent signal strength from almost anywhere in the house so obviously the router is broadcasting well.

I'm going to leave my network unsecure for a little while to make sure the iPad continues to connect w/o problem then add WPA security back and see what happens.

There is not signal issue with the iPad (although its reception radius will be less than a desktop or laptop because the iPad antenna is internal), it just doesn't update the signal strength indicator very frequently.

From what I can tell it only updates the signal strength ever few minutes at the most.

FrogLick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
There is not signal issue with the iPad (although its reception radius will be less than a desktop or laptop because the iPad antenna is internal), it just doesn't update the signal strength indicator very frequently.

From what I can tell it only updates the signal strength ever few minutes at the most.

Thanks, that's good to know. Of course my desktop probably has a good internal antenna and maybe my laptop too, but I doubt that my netbook has much more than the iPad. I really don't care how many bars show on the graphic display as long as it connects w/o problems and doesn't disconnect unexpectedly. I'm just curious why many others seem to be reporting connection problems...humm.

wheelbarrowjack

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
AP channel selection

Ok, this may sound weird but I had the same problem. I was using a netgear wireless router and a linksys access point. I had monkeyed around with the channels and discovered that the both the Iphone 3G and Ipad do not like channel eleven.

I know this is an old thread, but...

That did sound odd, but I tried with my Extreme AP's. We've got tours regularly and clients come in with all types of devices. MacBooks, iPhones & iPads would sometimes connect, but not reliably. We've removed the channel auto-select at the AP and forced them to use channels 1 & 6. Now we're able to connect first try on the devices we've tested.

At home, I have no issues with my Cisco AP1130, but it's on channel 6, mainly because I didn't have any reason to explore. There's limited interference in my neighborhood, so channel selection was arbitrary.

There's a PCI conference in town next week and we'll have lots of tours of the data center. I'm sure I'll hear about it in a hurry if they can't connect.

TL;DR, thanks for the tip. Moving from channel 11 seems to have helped.

SteveWithIphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Seem to have fixed it (workaround)

So, I have the WRT54G. It wouldn't connect to EITHER new iPhone6 I got in. I took off encryption entirely and noticed it worked. I switched the encryption on my router to WEP encryption instead. Problem solved. Works great!

I switched back to WPA-2 encryption just to see. No dice. WEP is definitely what iPhone needs to see this router properly. :(

Thanks for the help guys!

-Steve

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
So, I have the WRT54G. It wouldn't connect to EITHER new iPhone6 I got in. I took off encryption entirely and noticed it worked. I switched the encryption on my router to WEP encryption instead. Problem solved. Works great!

I switched back to WPA-2 encryption just to see. No dice. WEP is definitely what iPhone needs to see this router properly.

If you are using WEP then the problem is not solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.