Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtothis1

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
was the zagg glass protector $39.99 at your best buy? not sure why its that expensive at my local best buy, when most places have it for $34.99 including zaggs website..

do you know of anyone else that will install it for you?

is it really that difficult to install yourself?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I have installed well overs 100 screen protectors since the 3GS.
No more for me. I just stop by the Zagg kiosk. If I don't like the alignment#, bubbles or whatever else, I ask to have it replaced. No waiting for the replacement. Stop by the kiosk and pay the piper.

If and when my 6 plus ships I'm thinking of having the local kiosk install it. Is there are charge for them to do it? What about warrenty replacements?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
If and when my 6 plus ships I'm thinking of having the local kiosk install it. Is there are charge for them to do it? What about warrenty replacements?

My local zagg kiosk charges $5 to install glass screen protectors for phones and $10 for tablets. Its the same price for a warranty replacement. Total cost for my 6 plus with glass was $45 plus tax.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I'm tempted to get this.. But I do have some questions.

What always turned me off from screen protectors was the feel. I'm assuming since this is glass that it will feel like the glass on the iPhone?

Once installed how robust is the adhesive? With the home button now not being flushed with the glass, does it snag your thumb? Cause misalignment?

And lastly I play some games on the phone, so I do a lot of swiping. How does it stand up to that kind of use case?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I'm tempted to get this.. But I do have some questions.

What always turned me off from screen protectors was the feel. I'm assuming since this is glass that it will feel like the glass on the iPhone?

Once installed how robust is the adhesive? With the home button now not being flushed with the glass, does it snag your thumb? Cause misalignment?

And lastly I play some games on the phone, so I do a lot of swiping. How does it stand up to that kind of use case?

The glass feels like the actual screen. I haven't seen any shifting and my phones are in and out of my pockets and so on.
I was worried about the home button area but I haven't had a single issue.

newtothis1

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
any one have experience with SimpleSnap screen protector? how does it compare with zagg's glass?

is glass the way to go or is the hdx good enough?

Last edited:

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
been thinking about getting a glass screen protector for the 6

does anyone know if glass screen protectors can restrict heat dissipation on the phone and cause overheating issues ?

I had a glass protector on my 5 and the battery expanded/bloated and popped my screen out. Not sure why this happened but I've heard overheating as a common explanation.

Now I'm not sure if putting a layer of glass on the glass screen can significantly prohibit heat dissipation and cause this but I just wanted to be sure.

RonaldoStephen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
been thinking about getting a glass screen protector for the 6

does anyone know if glass screen protectors can restrict heat dissipation on the phone and cause overheating issues ?

I had a glass protector on my 5 and the battery expanded/bloated and popped my screen out. Not sure why this happened but I've heard overheating as a common explanation.

Now I'm not sure if putting a layer of glass on the glass screen can significantly prohibit heat dissipation and cause this but I just wanted to be sure.

I don't think it will be the cause or can restrict heat dissipation unless it is covered with fully covered case especially those poor designed heavy duty cases

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I sang the praises of the Zagg Glass here & to a lot of friends until today. Today I pulled my iPhone 6 out of the right pocket of my slacks...which is always phone-specific (no keys, change, etc. allowed) and notice a pretty large chip index the edge of the Zagg Glass. I haven't dropped it...haven't gotten it against anything rough or sharp at all...and still the edge chips. I knew Zagg would replace it for the cost of shipping, but I went to Best Buy tonight any way to see what they could do to help. The young lady said I'd have to get it replaced through Zagg warranty...but that they would do the installation for me again for free! I was impressed by that.

So, I've applied to Zagg for a replacement...and I'm going to give Zagg another shot. We'll see how that goes.

nanocustoms

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Absolutely in love with my zagg and still am, but today I reached into my pocket, no keys, no change, always empty and my glass was also chipped in the corner. I have ordered a replacement under warranty, but super bummed because my placement was nearly perfect. It was only off by a fraction of a degree (less than 1mm) and worried that my job laying down the replacement won't be anywhere as aligned. I'm a mechanical engineer and have an "engineers eye" as well as a CNC machinist, so I hope I can do as good this time as last.

Anyways. Came out of the woodwork to give it my best recommendation and share my story.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 248

roblognick

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm on my second Zagg InvisibleShield Glass. Both have cracked within a week of being applied to my iPhone 6.

It's the fact that it's actually quite thick and doesn't reach as close to the edge of the phone as it needs to. Understandable as curving like that is likely to cause it to break, being glass and all. However, it's a significant product defect. I do not mistreat my phone and always keep it separate to other things such as keys or pens, etc.

So I complained about this to Zagg. Just a quick search on Twitter shows I'm not the only one that suffers from this issue. I got free shipping and an getting a standard HDX protector which will hopefully reach a little closer to the edge of the screen, and being a bit thinner it'll be less likely to snag on something.

It's a shame because the InvisibleShield Glass is amazing. It's crystal clear and is so smooth compared with anything I've ever used before. I have one on my iPad Air which reaches the edges of that so I've not had the same issues as with my iPhone 6. It's glorious and works wonders especially with Styli.

I hope the HDX isn't too much of a downgrade.

Why Zagg can't produce an already curved screen protector that fits over the iPhone 6 face, I don't know. Sure, it's add to the cost, but the protection would be phenomenal and I'd snap that up.

ski3po

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
FWIW - I am running an otterbox defender, stock screen protector removed and glass applied and the combination is actually pretty stellar. The defender protects the edges of the glass from much contact.

Might be worth looking in to if you're into it.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Absolutely in love with my zagg and still am, but today I reached into my pocket, no keys, no change, always empty and my glass was also chipped in the corner. I have ordered a replacement under warranty, but super bummed because my placement was nearly perfect. It was only off by a fraction of a degree (less than 1mm) and worried that my job laying down the replacement won't be anywhere as aligned. I'm a mechanical engineer and have an "engineers eye" as well as a CNC machinist, so I hope I can do as good this time as last.

Anyways. Came out of the woodwork to give it my best recommendation and share my story.

I have the same chip as of today. 2 months on the phone with no issues. No idea how it got there.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2006

Your application of that looks great! Too bad you have to redo it.

What does the bottom of yours look like? Do you have edge lift?

nanocustoms

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Your application of that looks great! Too bad you have to redo it.

What does the bottom of yours look like? Do you have edge lift?

My original Glass was pretty good! No edge lift after about a month with normal use, and other than the nick in along the edge, no other issues. I did notice it was literally a hair too small (didn't completely cover the screen) but I attributed that to the fraction of a degree that it wasn't lined up square.

Thanks!

I am a self diagnosed sufferer of OCPD (OCD vs OCPD... see how anal I am?), so I bit the bullet and went to Target this morning and got another Glass as I await my replacement. It was 1040 PM when I just about had a panic attack and begged my wife to let me go get another one. I am going to keep the replacement unit and ship the bad one back.

I figure I should have a backup until they "nail" it down.

I noticed that the package was different. My original said "For iPhone 4.7" and the new one I purchased today said "For iPhone 6". Additionally, the graphics are slightly different, and the top and bottom of the box are red instead of silver.

To ease my paranoia, I used a set of calipers to measure the width of both glass protectors - 59.10mm +/- .02mm.

I nailed the installation this time, but there were some specks of dust (I work in a machine shop). Because the glass protector is rigid, I was able to use some tape and remove the dust. I repositioned the thing a few times and finally got it perfect. No edge distortions, nearly perfectly even on the button.

#firstworldproblems I know.

TLDR - I reinstalled a NEW protector, verified that the units are the same width despite different packaging. Everything is right with the world.

Cheers!

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8056.jpeg
    IMG_8056.jpeg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4330.JPG
    IMG_4330.JPG
    764 KB · Views: 132

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I used the hinge method and my replacement install was better that the Best Buy install.

It works like a charm every time.

gremond

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
what is a hinge method? more explanation please

Search for it on YouTube. It consists on alining and taping the screen protector prior to cleaning the screen thoroughly, once its completely clean, you peal the film and apply the protector.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I really hate applying SPs. Do not have the patience, and even when I do, there always seems to be something under the glass/SP.

That is why I love Zagg Glass. I go to the kiosk at my local mall and they install/reinstall it. If it doesn't look great, I have them redo it. This rarely happens.

Easy!

ryankidd17

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
Considering getting Zagg Glass. Anyone knows if it will prevent use of a Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal case and a Tough armor case?

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO

\

My chip is EXACTLY where yours is...and I'm bummed for the same reason: that the placement was dang near perfect, and I'm concerned somebody not as OCD as I am will botch up the installation.

My replacement was shipped on the 17th...should be here by Monday.

We'll see... :confused:

David MillerK

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I love Zagg although their first gen iPhone 6 protector is not that good love their technical support and would change the cracked screen protector with no questions ask

TheChrisBlaze

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
I had this glass sp on my iphone 6 since launch day. About 2 weeks ago, it chipped (I am very careful with my case, so I was shocked to see this). Because I had initially applied it absolutely perfectly--perfect spacing along the sides of the screen, no overlap onto the curved sides, no dust/debris underneath the glass, perfect spacing for the earpiece, sensors, and home button; I didn't feel like I could possibly install it as perfectly a second time around. With the new Lifeproof case out, I have now abandoned the necessity of applying these :p.

There was a point to me posting here... oh yeah: this was a nice glass sp. However, the edges didn't feel as rounded as the Spigen GlasTr. I did feel that the Zagg was thinner than the Spigen. If I do decide to free my phone of the Lifeproof case, I would definitely purchase the Zagg again.

Anthony Lopez

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
I had this glass sp on my iphone 6 since launch day. About 2 weeks ago, it chipped (I am very careful with my case, so I was shocked to see this). Because I had initially applied it absolutely perfectly--perfect spacing along the sides of the screen, no overlap onto the curved sides, no dust/debris underneath the glass, perfect spacing for the earpiece, sensors, and home button; I didn't feel like I could possibly install it as perfectly a second time around. With the new Lifeproof case out, I have now abandoned the necessity of applying these :p.

There was a point to me posting here... oh yeah: this was a nice glass sp. However, the edges didn't feel as rounded as the Spigen GlasTr. I did feel that the Zagg was thinner than the Spigen. If I do decide to free my phone of the Lifeproof case, I would definitely purchase the Zagg again.

same here Zagg.. Im going for Zagg

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I love the Zagg. Their replacement warranty is awesome. Hint: if you call they may even wave the $5.99 fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.