Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've just upgraded my late 2011 macbook pro (2.4 i5) to SSD fitted using an adaptor in the optical bay and it works superb, hitting 330mb write, 510mb read speeds and its running real smooth.

Since I removed the superdrive I ordered a usb enclosure from an eBay seller who has sold 1000+ of these and when I've received it I can not get it to work.

I plug the drive in to the enclosure and plug it in to my mac and nothing. No noise, no response on mac, nothing. I suspect its a faulty unit and the seller has offered to refund me in full on returning the unit.

Before I ship it back is this anything stupid I could be missing? I've plugged the drive in to the bay, plugged the usb in to the macbook pro (and an air) and nothing happens.

Thanks

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Considering that you can get an external USB CD/DVD drive these days for about $25 or less, it may not be worth fooling with the old internal drive any longer...

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
will any external cd/dvd drive work with yosemite? I don't mind what route I take but it would be useful to have an external drive for occasional use.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
it seems i've managed to get it working. I don't really know what I did differently but its working just fine now. happy days! I thought I would give it one last try before posting it back to the supplier and it worked. weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.