Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do Multitask gestures just stop working on your iPad Air 2.

• Yes

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • No, I haven't had this issue.

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Is there an other way of activating the gestures? The whole having to use minimum 4 fingers seems really silly and honestly pretty uncomfortable. A lot easier to just double click the home button IMO. The Air 2 is my first iPad so be gentle please :p

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The whole reason for a minimum of 4 fingers is to prevent false gestures. I personally find gestures quite natural and use them all the time. I can't think of any time I use the home button any more. But to each his own. Nothing wrong with using the home button like you do.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You can use the iPad in any orientation you want so the home button is not always at the same place. Having to visually locate the button, remove your fingers which are touching the screen, relocate it to the button, and single or double press the home button, sounds trivial, but it's a more conscious process than simply 4 finger pinching to close the app. Also the multitasking gestures give us better feeling of the direct manipulation of the UI.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I just got a call from Apple this week and have been in regular contact all week regard the gestures not working. Apparently Tweeting Tim Cook did the trick and they contacted me. The tech was able to confirm it even over the phone and I sent a detailed video showing all the BS going on with the gestures and the silly tricks to make them start working again. Its getting sent up to the engineers now so they will surely now finally notice it and have a fix.

Fingers crossed!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just got a call from Apple this week and have been in regular contact all week regard the gestures not working. Apparently Tweeting Tim Cook did the trick and they contacted me. The tech was able to confirm it even over the phone and I sent a detailed video showing all the BS going on with the gestures and the silly tricks to make them start working again. Its getting sent up to the engineers now so they will surely now finally notice it and have a fix.

Fingers crossed!

Nice. This has been quite an annoyance on iOS 8 iPads.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
its a smart cover issue in my case. it never happens when i dont have it attached to it

Its more noticeable when the smart cover is on but its definitely not the full reason why. Its more of a rotation issue. Put ipad down in landscape after locking it. Pick it up in portrait before waking it. See what happens.

idark77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
I read on Apple community forum that if you disable Spotlight search options under preference it is solved... but I didn't try... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.