Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
There is more anger here than any other forum I use.

One possibile reason for this may be that (rightly or wrongly) many folks consider this an Apple enthusiasts site, where they might share tips and exchange ideas with other folks like themselves. But looked at that way it has more 'outsiders' coming in and bashing, haranguing, and generally making things unpleasant than any other forum I have seen in my lifetime. It is not surprising that there is anger.

...people who have a vested interest in the entire world purchasing and using Apple's latest offering no matter how half baked it is.

Seriously? You make gross generalizations about folks like that one, and you are surprised people are critical?

A.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
One possibile reason for this may be that (rightly or wrongly) many folks consider this an Apple enthusiasts site, where they might share tips and exchange ideas with other folks like themselves. But looked at that way it has more 'outsiders' coming in and bashing, haranguing, and generally making things unpleasant than any other forum I have seen in my lifetime. It is not surprising that there is anger.

Seriously? You make gross generalizations about folks like that one, and you are surprised people are critical?

A.

I am not a candidate for blind faith. Apple is a company that sells products and services. Apple is not infallible. There are and will be issues from time to time.

Bashing Apple users who don't consider the purchase a religious experience is somewhat pathological.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I am not a candidate for blind faith.

I do not think anyone else is either. Specifically, I do not think there is a population of people "who have a vested interest in the entire world purchasing and using Apple's latest offering no matter how half baked it is." I think characterizing people that way is unfairly mocking their enthusiasm for something which, for them, is a positive experience. Treating people like that, to be on topic, is just mean.

A.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I do not think anyone else is either. Specifically, I do not think there is a population of people "who have a vested interest in the entire world purchasing and using Apple's latest offering no matter how half baked it is." I think characterizing people that way is unfairly mocking their enthusiasm for something which, for them, is a positive experience. Treating people like that, to be on topic, is just mean.

A.

The reference is not to enthusiasts. Apple is a livelihood for some community members. I appreciate anyone trying to make a living. Some of us are just ordinary long term Apple users. We are aware of some quality issues. It's just that simple.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Yup it is the internet, where anonymous and faceless people come to play, say things and do things were they will have no repercussions for their actions. Well except maybe get kicked off a site etc. But even then.

Yeah, there's no easy solution.

One of the things that I love about Stack Exchange is its co-operative approach to edition, which allows each writer to learn good ways to phrase a question, good ways to phrase an answer, and so on. It encourages people to give reasonable thought to things before writing.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
This is why it would be nice to be able to down-vote comments too. This would be useful for people to improve themselves and make sure they are not stepping on peoples' toes.

What is very bad is an up/down vote specifically for a person. People would downvote a person just because they hate him/her/it, and that vote stays forever. If the downvotes are for the posts, then if a user gets a bad reputation, the person can create better posts in the future and receive upvotes to balance it over.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
It's an age thing. Know it all teenagers mixed with sarcastic adults. Brings out the best in all of us.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I am getting the impression that you are rather new to the internet. This forum is extremly tightly moderated. You should visit the dpreview or other forums where everything goes. Or look at youtube comments :D macrumors seems like a gentlemens club to me.

I joined this forum in 2004. What you say there may be true, but I find a tremendous difference in here now in terms of more people being "mean" about stuff. I've sometimes wondered if it's just a reflection of all the turmoil in the world (economic upheavals, ethnic and religious strife spilling into more or less constant wars, etc.).

It's not just about age of forum members. There's more road rage out there in the real world today than there used to be, at least in the USA. Not all the acting-out drivers I see on the roads are teenagers! A lot of them look to be in their 30s. I'm really no more sure what that's about than about what goes on in, say, some of the iPhone threads. It's anger, it's acting out, it's displacement, it's sometimes pretty scary and sometimes just silly.

I've long said that too many of us now act as if the mere expression by someone else of a different opinion than our own (about anything) will translate into that opinion's having been engraved on our own tombstone by nightfall. Maybe with our polarized politics that's understandable in political threads but when it carries over into rants against people buying a 5C instead of a 5S, or an Apple vs. competitor product, well... the irrationality seems even more bizarre to me. Why can I not like my green 5C? Does it threaten someone else's gold-colored aluminum 5S that I liked that green plastic over steel of the 5C better?

Where does that sort of xenophobic fear come from? Anyway the ancient "fight or flight" response certainly lives on, doesn it.

There are doubtless some intentional disruption and mischief-making of people either working for competitors of Apple or consumers who are concerned that their own favored alternative gear will get displaced from the market by Apple's product launches. All that sometimes makes me think about historians writing about the fallback to tribal ways when a society loses faith in its institutions. I think MacRumor's setup of a forum for alternative phones is a good thing but it doesn't seem to have reduced the rudeness even some of the thoroughly Apple-centric members engage in when a new model of some gear comes out.

Whatever the causes, I don't think the escalation in "mean" posting is just about ability to be ruder online than face to face without having to deal with consequences. We could be quite rude online in 2004 if we wanted to. It didn't happen so often over trivia. PRSI thread showdowns aside, there were not all these vicious exchanges erupting every day, certainly not over matters of opinion like what color or model of gear to buy. Maybe this stuff is mostly a substitute for first person shooter videogames.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I joined this forum in 2004. What you say there may be true, but I find a tremendous difference in here now in terms of more people being "mean" about stuff. I've sometimes wondered if it's just a reflection of all the turmoil in the world (economic upheavals, ethnic and religious strife spilling into more or less constant wars, etc.).

I think it's all of that. A lot of what we see is a reflection of what's around us. In terms of the forum, it's also numbers in that there a lot more people here today than 10 years ago and with that the number of mean or discourteous people have gone up. It's just math but humans will always pay more attention to what's wrong than what's right.

One thing I've noticed is that forums have become a place for (some) people to come and take out their frustrations on others instead of it being a place where someone can bring joy and balance to other people.

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK
As mentioned earlier, I believe that the primary reason for the poor behavior of people, not only here on MacRumors, but the Internet as a whole, stems, primarily, from the fact of online anonymity.

The forums are not that bad, in my experience more frendly than the modern working environment. The other good thing is that for the most part the topics are unimportant so the banter is harmless.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The forums are not that bad, in my experience more frendly than the modern working environment. The other good thing is that for the most part the topics are unimportant so the banter is harmless.

On the whole, yes, the MacRumors forums aren't that bad, but there are some areas that are worse than others. YMMV

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My overall experience with this place is it can get heated but people usually know what they are talking about. I have been on motorsport related forums for years and years and it can get really juvenile on those, especially when kids with little knowledge attempt to challenge the older hands.

I do find with MR as an iPhone user, I am more prone to defending it against people who point out its shortfalls and force these across as deal breakers for everybody. I joined MR shortly after I abandoned Android because I wanted to get insightful information on my new experience. I can think of 5 or 6 members who rotate around flaming threads (naming no names) and none of these are iPhone users. So often they have 'In Time Out' under their names and I think the mods deal very well with them. This site is one of the best when it comes to mod intervention too. I think with the anonymity forums give, you also sadly get people being quite rude. Its just the nature of the beast and if someone gets on your wick too much, add them to the dreaded ignore list!! ;) :)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So...can someone tell me how to take a screenshot on my iPhone? :p

Oh..and...

pe·nu·ri·ous
pəˈn(y)o͝orēəs/Submit
adjectiveformal
extremely poor; poverty-stricken.
"a penurious old tramp"
synonyms: poor, poor as a church mouse, poverty-stricken, destitute, necessitous, impecunious, impoverished, indigent, needy, in need/want, badly off, in reduced/straitened circumstances, hard up, unable to make ends meet, penniless, without a cent (to one's name), without a sou; More
antonyms: wealthy
characterized by poverty or need.
"penurious years"
parsimonious; mean.
"he was generous and hospitable in contrast to his stingy and penurious wife"
synonyms: mean, miserly, *****rdly, parsimonious, penny-pinching, close-fisted, Scroogelike; More

You're welcome...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Why are people in here so mean?

Because its a free world and everyone is different.

Now stop your whining.
;):D

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have to say my experience over the last week has changed my perception of this topic quite a bit. I enjoy reasoned debate and partake in discussion quite often in the 'alternatives to iOS' sub forum because it's fun bouncing different opinions off people. However in the last week it has got particularly nasty on occasion and not from myself, but a clique of posters who have decided nobody is welcome apart from those supporting their viewpoint. I have remained respectful and even discussed things via PM, but I am sad to say a select few are ruining threads by making it anything but constructive and very personal. I am sick of reporting people now because it's all got far too petty. I think a break from Mac Rumors and the highly charged and passionate discussion here is on the cards for me. People need to chill out and accept differing opinions are not personal attacks. I don't really know what else to say other than I am very disappointed. Hey ho.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have to say my experience over the last week has changed my perception of this topic quite a bit. I enjoy reasoned debate and partake in discussion quite often in the 'alternatives to iOS' sub forum because it's fun bouncing different opinions off people. However in the last week it has got particularly nasty on occasion and not from myself, but a clique of posters who have decided nobody is welcome apart from those supporting their viewpoint. I have remained respectful and even discussed things via PM, but I am sad to say a select few are ruining threads by making it anything but constructive and very personal. I am sick of reporting people now because it's all got far too petty. I think a break from Mac Rumors and the highly charged and passionate discussion here is on the cards for me. People need to chill out and accept differing opinions are not personal attacks. I don't really know what else to say other than I am very disappointed. Hey ho.
Why not ignore those who are disrespectful to you? If you leave because of these people when you can ignore them, you are essentially giving them power over you. You are allowing their dysfunction to become yours.

Rude people are the exception on this forum. No need to let a minority keep you away.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
A couple of reasons. First is that the anonymity of the internet has created a bunch of narcissists that have not learned how to communicate civilly. It used to not be like this online in the early days, dial up bbs and then the internet.

Second is that there are some apple users that seem to think because they use apple products they are better than everyone else. Not all, but some and they are vocal. They take every problem or complaint towards apple personally and go into attack mode.

I'm not saying they are the majority, by any means, just that they make the most noise. Most see apple as a company who provides products they like and use, a small percentage see apple as a god and take everything personal.

So mix narcissism and the inability to communicate civilly with company worship and there you have it. The most obnoxious people on the internet.

Again, these are a minority and there are some great and helpful people here. I don't mean to insinuate these folks do not exist, they do and I for one am thankful they do.

Just put the former on ignore (it works great) and enjoy being around the latter. There is no shame in using ignore.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… ruining threads by making it anything but constructive and very personal. I am sick of reporting people now because it's all got far too petty. …

Another +1 for the ignore feature.

Parallel to that: if/when things get petty enough for a report to be appropriate (and of value – I see a topic closed not long before you posted here), then maybe write your report with attention to the content of the post.

(Not an excess of attention to the person posting when reporting that person's post; recall that the desired outcome is to make things less personal. Easier said than done, I know, when things become heated. But hopefully you get the idea. Just a thought.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.