Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys! I just got my first iPad a few weeks ago and I'm wondering why iPads don't get the stock calculator and weather apps? Anyone think they'll be on iOS 9?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys! I just got my first iPad a few weeks ago and I'm wondering why iPads don't get the stock calculator and weather apps? Anyone think they'll be on iOS 9?

Word is Steve Jobs felt they didn't look good on a big screen. It doesn't matter though, there are a bunch on the app store.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK

The clock app doubles up as a weather app, sort of. once you've added a location you can click the weather icon in the corner and it takes you to the page on the weather channel for that location. Personally I use yahoo! weather though as the app has lots of information and the theme changes depending on the weather.

Regarding the calculator, a stock one similar to OS X would be logical but nevertheless, i use a free one called calc from QApps.co and it's very good and has no adverts.

Jonny

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Word is Steve Jobs felt they didn't look good on a big screen. It doesn't matter though, there are a bunch on the app store.

Yeah I can see why he would think that. Lol. But I'm sure Apple could come up with something to fill the extra space! Lol! I REALLY hope they do bring weather and calculator to the iPad in iOS 9!

----------

The clock app doubles up as a weather app, sort of. once you've added a location you can click the weather icon in the corner and it takes you to the page on the weather channel for that location. Personally I use yahoo! weather though as the app has lots of information and the theme changes depending on the weather.

Regarding the calculator, a stock one similar to OS X would be logical but nevertheless, i use a free one called calc from QApps.co and it's very good and has no adverts.

Jonny

I had never noticed the weather in the clock app!!! That's pretty cool! For the weather I'm using The Weather Channel app, and calculator I'm using the widget from Wdgts. I don't think they come close to the Apple stock apps, but they work! Lol. I hope Apple includes these apps in iOS 9'

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey while on the subject of how iPads are different from iPhones, why are the buttons on the other side?! Is there a reason? Lol

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Probably didn't want to blow up the calculator to fill the full-screen (looks bad), and didn't want apps to take up partial space on the screen :rolleyes: iPad should include a calculator widget in notification center, instead I'll have to get some app that can do it.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Hey while on the subject of how iPads are different from iPhones, why are the buttons on the other side?! Is there a reason? Lol

Because if they were on the left it would get in the way of the flap from a Smart Cover/smart case/ portfolio case

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Because if they were on the left it would get in the way of the flap from a Smart Cover/smart case/ portfolio case

The arrangement pre-dates the Smart Cover, which was introduced in iPad 2.

It is a matter of the mechanics of one-handed grasp. The iPhone and iPad are grasped very differently. Moving a finger of the grasping hand while holding an iPad is more perilous than moving a finger while grasping an iPhone.

On an iPhone, the device is grasped by both the right and left edges - thumb and that big bundle of thenar muscles on one side, the four small fingers on the the opposite. In that arrangement, moving one finger to operate the volume buttons (either thumb when the phone is held in the left hand, or index finger if held in the right) has little effect on the strength of the grip. It's also handedness-neutral; when grasped in the left hand, the buttons are thumb-operated, when grasped in the right, index finger-operated. There's no significant mechanical advantage to using one or the other.

On an iPad, a one-handed grasp is limited to one edge of the device, and that grip must be stronger to account for both the greater weight of the device and that the grasping hand is also the fulcrum of a lever (as bad a mechanical disadvantage as you can get). When the index finger of the grasping hand is extended to operate those buttons, strength of grip is reduced by a minimum of 25% (probably much more than 25%, considering the relative strength of the index finger).

So, it's best, on an iPad, to have those edge-mounted volume buttons operated by the free hand, rather than the grasping hand, which naturally means the buttons would be on the edge opposite the grasped edge. With 70-90% of the world's population being right-handed, the question of a right or left edge button position is moot.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The arrangement pre-dates the Smart Cover, which was introduced in iPad 2.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/apple_ipad_case

There was an official apple case with the original ipad which would have blocked the volume controls

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
So, it's best, on an iPad, to have those edge-mounted volume buttons operated by the free hand, rather than the grasping hand, which naturally means the buttons would be on the edge opposite the grasped edge. With 70-90% of the world's population being right-handed, the question of a right or left edge button position is moot.

So, do most right-handers hold their phone with their right hand but hold their ipad with their left? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. I'm left-handed and hold both devices with my left hand.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
So, do most right-handers hold their phone with their right hand but hold their ipad with their left? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. I'm left-handed and hold both devices with my left hand.

Sorry if that was unclear. I think most right-handers hold both iPad and iPhone in their left hands.

It's interesting that you grasp your iPhone and iPad with your left hand. It reminds me of my favorite ergonomic paradox. I'm right-handed, and play guitar. When playing with the neck and fingerboard in its "normal" position, to the left, that means more dexterity and strength are required of my left hand than my right. Why, then, do some left-handers abandon (what I'd consider) their natural advantage by flipping the instrument 180 degrees so that their right hands are on the fingerboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.