Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
LOL!

Of course, on iOS 6. :D

I booted up my old iphone 4 today, with its 5.0.2 JB. Holy crap, that thing was faster than I remembered. The original iPhone on 3.1.3, on the other hand... ;) (actually, I was shocked to see that one even charged up at all)

Anyway, 6 versus 6+: not sure why anyone gets defensive or worked up over this at all. Both are good phones--at least for most people, eyoungren excluded--and in the end, this is one data point, nothing more. There's too many factors here to project anything from this from just yet.

It'll be more interesting 6 months or so after launch, when supply has stabilized and sales start tapering off.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I thought the 6 was large when I had the 5s. got the 6+ and now it seem the 6 is way too small.

When I went to the AS at day one I though 6+ was really too big for me and I bought iPhone 6.
Last week I was close to an AS and I had the chance to hold 6+. Now that I'm used to 4.7 6+ doesn't seem so big. I'm still happy with my iPhone 6, but I don't find 6+ too big anymore. Is a little too big for me, but I could get used to it

I'm pretty sure 6 will outsell 6+ but with 6S and 6S+ I guess some 6 user will move to 5.5''
Is not easy to jump to 5.5 after you have been used to hold a 4'' phone for years, but going from 4.7 to 5.5 is not a big deal

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
For the simple fact that I can go two days between charges or that I cannot even kill the battery in one day from 100% to 10% makes the 6+ a far far superior iPhone. I think usage is a relatively poor indicator of battery life, but with brightness at 25-33% I venture that I get about 8-10 hours of screen on time from 100-10%.

Personally I cannot wait until LG develops OLED or Apple wakes up and delivers samsungs OLED to the iPhone. That will be the perfect mobile device for me.

I thought OLED was great too. Until I started noticing that all my OLED equipped screens were getting dimmer with obvious burn-in after about a year. I'm done with OLED until there is a breakthrough in the deterioration problem. My experience with LCD screens on the other hand, is that they last seemingly forever. A decade at least.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
About the 6 Plus: Too big to be a pocketable, one-handable device; too small to be a useful tablet. Stupid, pointless form factor.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/15/mo...e-6-but-the-6-plus-is-selling-ok-says-analyst
V
Personally, I do think the + is too big to carry day to day... with that being said, I still bought one. Why? I wanted to see what owning a phablet was all about and I think I'll get used to it. If not, I'll just "go small" in two years. No big deal.

I agree with those quoted below: article is pointless until supply can meet demand with all models of both phones, but especially with the severely constrained 6+.

I don't think there has been enough available stock of the 6 plus yet to be making these sorts of calculations. I'd give it until the end of Q1 in 2015 to see what the numbers really look like.

It'll be interesting at launch next year, because they'll likely not have the production issues they had this year.

The research applies to the first 30 days of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus availability in the US.

This is when the 6+ had the least amount of availability.
I still think the 6 would be the more popular choice, since most iPhone users are used to smaller screens, but it wouldn't be as big of a stretch.

that's because the plus is on backorder and higher demand than the 6. so yea people will buy the 6 more since its faster to get.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Wrong (although might be right for you)
About the 6 Plus: Too big to be a pocketable, one-handable device; too small to be a useful tablet. Stupid, pointless form factor.

I keep it in my shirt pocket every day.
Was never meant to be a "one handed device"
Works great as a Mini "iPad Mini"
Love the form factor.

The above is right for me (and millions of others as well)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't think the results in the OP are a surprise to any of us. The deciding factor for most people in the market for a new iPhone is its size. The 6 Plus is a larger than average smartphone and although it has marginally better specs than the standard 6, the size is key. The standard 6 was always going to sell more due to practicality. Both great phones though and there is no wrong choice as long as it suits your needs. :)

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
Wrong (although might be right for you)

I keep it in my shirt pocket every day.
Was never meant to be a "one handed device"
Works great as a Mini "iPad Mini"
Love the form factor.

The above is right for me (and millions of others as well)

I'm with you. My wife calls it my iPad Mini Mini. Where as I can do very limited actions with one hand (answering calls, very quick text replies) I'm not horribly bothered I have to use two hands. I will say, when I pick up my iPhone 5 (work phone) I do sometimes miss the quickness and ease of checking an e-Mail with one hand.

Overall, I'm getting used to the size.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
The iPhone 6 is the safe choice for anyone unsure about a 5.5" phone, and for those coming from the 5/5s. It's also far more available.

The Plus requires getting used to a new form factor. But it does open up lots of new possibilities. I went with a Plus and love it, but I would not recommend it to everyone.

Also the 6 is far more available.

----------

I'm with you. My wife calls it my iPad Mini Mini.

I've heard that one too.

It's actually an accurate nickname, because I'm finding that my Plus makes it comfortable to do things that would feel too cramped on the 5s and would make me reach for my iPad, if I was lucky enough to have it with me. With the Plus, I really do feel like I have a mini iPad in my pocket. I'm much more willing to do heavy computing/browsing tasks on the Plus than I ever was on the 4" iPhone.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
went with the plus as my wife hijacked my ipad mini. seriously though, i went from a 6 to a 6+ to a 6 and now to a 6+. i realized that with my 6 i am still using two hands to text or call and i never will put it in my pockets. in most cases i am carrying it in a sleeve with a case. so for my normal everyday usage, i think the 6+ will be ok. but truth be told, my wife really took my ipad mini and she's now the proud owner of it. so i guess it's a 6+ for me then.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Units sold is meaningless given the 6+ supply constraints. According to polls conducted here on MR on what people actually want the demand is 50:50. Outside of MR, it's 60:40 for the 6 vs the 6+ so just a bit higher.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Units sold is meaningless given the 6+ supply constraints. According to polls conducted here on MR on what people actually want the demand is 50:50. Outside of MR, it's 60:40 for the 6 vs the 6+ so just a bit higher.

Agreed. When I was waiting in line, literally every single person first asked if they had any 6 Pluses and when the Apple employee informed them they were sold out, THEN they ask about the 6.

A lot of people got the 6 because of supply constrains regarding the 6+ and since this data was collected right around launch.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
love to see more detail.. how many people bought gold (or by age and gender)

or how many poor suckers bought 16gb version

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

Things won't change much when supplies catch up though. In the Android world the Galaxy Sx phones always outsell the Notes. There is no supply issue. Most people aren't willing to adjust to the inconveniences of Phablet. I highly doubt the Apple market will be much different.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
I use my 5s as ipod , its too small i cant use it as main phone anymore im glad im using the 6 plus,will never go back to small screen, but i understand if some choose smaller iphone,as long as its apple made i know its great choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.