Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
I need help with a problem concerning my son's iPad: if I send him a text file, using Open Office, his iPad will see his wireless printer, which is an HP Envy 4500 model, but when it "prints," it's actually not printing, and the page is completely blank. It doesn't matter if I send the text file in Word format, RTF, or just Open Office.docu format, we get the same blank results. Any ideas?

He receives the e-mail, he can see the attachment, he taps on the attachment and it opens, his iPad recognizes his wireless printer, the printer then activates, as though it's printing, but it simply spits out a blank page with no text.

I am sending him the attachments to his Yahoo! email account via my Acer laptop, which runs Windows 7, and my email is sent via Outlook; don't know if any of that information has any bearing on the matter, but I thought it might help.

Please make any instructions really clear and in a step-by-step format, as I'm not an Apple person and barely know how to turn his iPad on; he is not much better, being almost computer illiterate.

While researching this problem, I saw, somewhere, that he might need a third-party app. that will deal with text documents, so I downloaded "Document To Go" on his iPad, but the problem still persists; however, with that being said, I probably just don't know how to use it properly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It might be worth opening the document in Pages which is a free app that Apple makes as their document creator and editor. You can get it free from the App Store. Then, there is an option to "open in another app" in which case you can then choose PDF file as an option. That might work.

Not sure though.

Rayzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
iPad Won't Print E-Mail Attachments

Thanks for your help, Mikey.

Okay, like I said, I need pretty simple, step-by-step instruction, when it comes to the iPad. So you are saying to first download Pages from the app store...then what?

Where, exactly, will the "Download in another app" option be? Will that be in my original e-mail attachment or in the Pages app?

Thanks again!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Thanks for your help, Mikey.

Okay, like I said, I need pretty simple, step-by-step instruction, when it comes to the iPad. So you are saying to first download Pages from the app store...then what?

Where, exactly, will the "Download in another app" option be? Will that be in my original e-mail attachment or in the Pages app?

Thanks again!

Pages can be grabbed from the App Store, yes. Then.... Open pages and in the upper left hand corner there is an icon which you'll tap and the option to open a document in another app will show. When it does, it'll ask you to choose what document to open. That's where you pick the document you are talking about. After that, some options should display and one of them will be a PDF. Choose that and then see if you can print it. I'm not sure if this will work though.

I also assume that your printer is air print capable, correct?

Rayzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
iPad Won't Print Email

Alright, that's good info! Even I can follow those directions. We'll see if it works or not.

Yes, his printer is Air Printer capable.

I really appreciate your time & trouble in helping me with that, even if it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, my son called a little while ago, saying that his boy is sick, so I won't be able to give it a try for about a week, but will let you know if what you suggested does the trick.

Thanks again.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Alright, that's good info! Even I can follow those directions. We'll see if it works or not.

Yes, his printer is Air Printer capable.

I really appreciate your time & trouble in helping me with that, even if it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, my son called a little while ago, saying that his boy is sick, so I won't be able to give it a try for about a week, but will let you know if what you suggested does the trick.

Thanks again.

No problem. I'm not even sure what I'm saying will work but it's worth a try. Now hen you get a chance, see what ya can do and then post back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.