Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Always safari. Apple doesn't actually allow other true browser alternatives on the App Store. Every browser app you see including chrome for ios, uses apples UIWebView component as it's renderer which essentially is an embedded version of safari. Thus there's actually not much of a difference between them, with the major caveat that UIWebView has known issues and performance problems (especially in javascript) compared to full safari. The fact that safari is heavily optimized and is noticeably faster than UIWebView means that using any other app besides safari for web browsing on an ipad is just really doing yourself a disservice as a user of the ipad

Don't blame me, blame apple for not allowing other web rendering engines on the ipad.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Chrome might be slower in the past, I must say the current version on iOS 7 is very snappy. It is as fast as safari. The bottom line is there is a really good alternative. I do like the nice clean interface safari in iOS 7. I just wish there is a full screen mode.

photosmike

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
i've been an atomic loyalist for so long but they haven't updated it for over a year now... i guess it's time to switch.

Me too. I'm going to stick with it for a while, hoping that the developer updates it. I would be willing to pay.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
I hate popups like on WSJ.com so I switched to Mercury. It allows choosing how your browser identifies to websites. No speed difference vs. Safari and no more popups.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I keep coming back to Safari mainly due to how it handles bookmarks. One-click vs multiple clicks for other browsers.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I always switch between mercury, safari, and chrome.

-I like mercury because it has a last pass add on.
-I like chrome because it syncs with my main desktop browser, and I can quickly go full screen by scrolling down.
-I like safari because I really like the swipe to go back and forward.

I wish I could combine them all. Currently I'm using safari though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.