Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I know the Watch won't arrive until Spring but I'm thinking of updating to 8.1.1 and leaving the jailbreak behind. I've enjoyed my jailbroken iPhone 6 but I'd rather not be frustrated waiting for a new jailbreak when 8.2 is released with the Watch. I think Apple Pay has added even more pressure to close jailbreak exploits quickly. The Watch will only add to that pressure, so it might be another situation where the exploit is saved until iOS 9. I'm really looking forward to the Watch jailbreak too.

Anyone else planning on getting the Watch immediately and having to leave the jailbreak behind?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Okay if it makes the OP feel better, I can understand not wanting to get used to/reliant on something that will eventually need to be taken away. However thanks to these smart Chinese folks we are getting jailbreaks faster than ever. Who knows, they might have a jailbreak out for the operating system required for the watch once it drops. I say just enjoy jail breaking now. I'm definitely gonna burn $350 when the apple watch comes out, so I will be in the same boat.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
"I know the Watch won't arrive until Spring but I'm thinking of updating to 8.1.1 and leaving the jailbreak behind."

You are high.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I know the Watch won't arrive until Spring but I'm thinking of updating to 8.1.1 and leaving the jailbreak behind. I've enjoyed my jailbroken iPhone 6 but I'd rather not be frustrated waiting for a new jailbreak when 8.2 is released with the Watch. I think Apple Pay has added even more pressure to close jailbreak exploits quickly. The Watch will only add to that pressure, so it might be another situation where the exploit is saved until iOS 9. I'm really looking forward to the Watch jailbreak too.

Anyone else planning on getting the Watch immediately and having to leave the jailbreak behind?

No. I would wait until the watch was actually released before making such a decision to give up my jailbreak.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Hmmmmmm. I get the OP. So you can't have a JB phone and a non JB watch? They would not work together?

Actually I don't think you do get the OP. iWatch works with an iPhone, and the iOS update to make them compatible will have to be installed on the iPhone, hence losing your jailbreak. But, the watch won't be released until Spring, so there is no rush to get rid of your jailbreak at this time.

Chaztrip

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
West Des Moines
No sorry I guess you don't get me. Sorry. I would not want to be able to not have a watch work right with a JB phone so I would do without now and not get comfortable with a JB then have to give it up.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
No sorry I guess you don't get me. Sorry. I would not want to be able to not have a watch work right with a JB phone so I would do without now and not get comfortable with a JB then have to give it up.

Yea, I don't get you. That didn't make sense.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think the guys behind Pangu have shown that they don't care about burning exploits. If they find something in 8.1.1 and in 8.2 they will release an updated jailbreak Im sure

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Leaving Jailbreak for Apple Watch

I think the guys behind Pangu have shown that they don't care about burning exploits. If they find something in 8.1.1 and in 8.2 they will release an updated jailbreak Im sure

That's how it should be. No one in the Android rooting community "waits" for future updates. It also defeats the purpose of jailbreaking. Why should developers update their tweaks when in two weeks their user base drops more than half?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That's how it should be. No one in the Android rooting community "waits" for future updates. It also defeats the purpose of jailbreaking. Why should developers update their tweaks when in two weeks their user base drops more than half?

it might have to do with the frequency of updates for android is significantly less than with iOS. many android phones (including flagship phones) don't even get updates, and if they do, not very long after release

not to mention, it's easy to flash a previous rootable version onto the device

on the other hand, it doesn't seem like google actively closes exploits on the nexus devices like apple does

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Consider this mutha sookas:

Jailbroken Apple Watch!

What What?

The possibilities of what can be done on a screen just bigger than a postage stamp are endless...

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
it might have to do with the frequency of updates for android is significantly less than with iOS. many android phones (including flagship phones) don't even get updates, and if they do, not very long after release

not to mention, it's easy to flash a previous rootable version onto the device

on the other hand, it doesn't seem like google actively closes exploits on the nexus devices like apple does

Rooting a Nexus device is nothing. It's not the same as jailbreaking iOS. You can unlock the bootloader using Googles own Android SDK and fastboot. I can't talk for the rest of the flagship Android phones but a Nexus is pretty easy to root. I rooted all of my Nexus phones and tablets immediately after purchasing them. Plus you don't even need an extra tool to do it, it can be done via Android SDK and fastboot.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I know the Watch won't arrive until Spring but I'm thinking of updating to 8.1.1 and leaving the jailbreak behind.

You're going to 8.1.1 now when the watch won't be out until spring?

Agreed !
There isn't any prize awarded for "getting there early" :confused:

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Agreed !
There isn't any prize awarded for "getting there early" :confused:

Good point. I hate that time right after a major update when I want the new features (or hardware) but there's no jailbreak. Figured I try to not get used to the jailbreak since I know I'll want the 8.2 update that goes with the Watch.
I'm surprised that there is a jailbreak for 8.1. I definitely would've used stock 8.1 just to get Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.