Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which approach is best?

• Clone existing drives to new system, then do OS upgrade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Configure new server from scratch.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Follow Apple's suggested approach

• You are nuts to even try.

• Total voters

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
This weekend I'm planning to do an upgrade going from a 2009 Mac mini server (was Snow Leopard Server, then upgraded to Mountain Lion and then to Mavericks) with a bunch of external drives (12TB total) to a new, 2012 i7 Mac mini, 10GB RAM and the drive partitioned into two 500GB partitions to match the drives in the 2009. The servers run headless. I run the following services: File Sharing, Caching, TimeMachine, DNS, DHCP, VPN, Contacts and Calendar, Plex, iTunes and iPhoto to manage music and photo databases accessed by Plex, and a Parallels Windows virtual machine for Quicken. I think that's all.

The problem is how to approach this, so I'm asking for input from anyone who has attempted it. I'm considering the following approaches:
  1. Clone the server internal drives into the new server, move over the externals. Then upgrade the new server to Yosemite and Server 4. Looks like the fastest approach but the system cruft will just increase.
  2. Put Yosemite and Server 4 on the new mini and configure it from scratch. Lots of work but should be cruft free.
  3. Follow the Apple recommended procedure -- install just Yosemite, use Migration Assistant with old server in target disk mode, install Server 4, pray.
  4. Something else (maybe use the new mini as a desktop computer because the "upgrade" is a disaster waiting to happen).

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I upgraded fron a 2009 mini server to a 2012 back in September. At that time I was running Mavericks server. I decided to start clean. It was more work and took most of the day. Having the old server running did make it easer I just went thought and mirrored the settings.
Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.