Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grantwall

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Just got back from the Apple Store.

Before they would do anything they told me to go and set my device up as new instead of restoring from my old devices backup.

Doing this now, and will see if the issue remains.

Maggiep67

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
This happened to me today!!! Curious to see how the restore goes. I've had my 6 plus for almost 2 weeks. I did my phone as new instead of from a backup.

This happened twice to me today over a few minutes. I was in my car with AC running. Very little chance my phone was overheating.

grantwall

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Definitely not a real solution as it's still happening for me.

https://vid.me/H8i
Starts off with the "dimmed" bug, and as you see adjusting the brightness slider doesn't actually change brightness at all when adjusting in the top 20%.
Then at 19 seconds in it pops back up to full brightness, afterwards the brightness slider does work.

Because of this I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, but rather software.

Not sure a replacement device would hugely help out in this situation.

grantwall

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Went back to the Apple Store today, they took a look at my video and swapped the phone. They said if this one has the same issue it's likely a software issue.

alca415

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Same Problem on Iphone 6 plus

I am having the same problem with my Iphone 6 plus screen dimming, it seems that it is triggered whenever I start playing modern combat 5 or the zen garden app. Can you please tell me if the the phone they swapped out for you is giving you the same problems. I would highly appreciate it, too see what I do.

grantwall

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Well, the new device no longer has the dimming happen randomly when browsing the web/watching videos. It still does happen on the rare occasion when my device gets physically hot to the touch such as installing dozens of apps at once, or leaving Epic Zen Garden running for a substantial amount of time while holding the phone in my hand.

rodorr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Random dimming

Just to add to the growing list, I'm having exactly the same problem. When it does dim by itself the last 20% of the brightness adjust control has no effect. There obviously is a common issue going on here. I think I will wait a bit before returning mine, to see if there is some resolution to this problem.

Forgot to mention, I have an iphone 6 plus.

rodorr

Last edited:

shinjiku01

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Modern Combat 5 everytime

Everytime i Play modern combat 5 on my iphone 6+ the screen gets darker and darker even with auto brightness off.

it also happens on ipad but it takes alot longer you would probally have to wait an hour before it happens i believe its some time of safety feature for the ios devices to prevent it fronm getting to hot, but if its doing it with normal use and not specific apps i would go get it checked out.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Yep, I"ve noticed the same thing on my 6+ whenever I'm playing a pretty CPU/GPU-intensive game (xcom, modern combat, etc). I assumed it was something to prevent the phone from overheating.

HSVGTSE3

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
I don't like the auto-brightness feature so I turn it off all the time. However, I noticed something strange tonight that the screen actually dimmed itself a little bit, and if I want to go back to full brightness, I had to restart the phone.

Does anyone know if this issue is hardware-related or software-related?

My iPhone 6+ has similar problem. After gaming for 10min on a hot day outside screen dimmed to the point where it was hard to see. Tried everything to fix including turning of Auto brightness, resetting phone,restarting phone. It seems to be a feature to keep phone cool. If this is a standard feature I will be returning phone.

Mattrward1030

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I've had an iPhone since the first one and I am now on the 6 plus and this problem is still happening. Same thing I have to restart the phone to get the brightness back up. Adjusting the slider only brings it back to the level that it dimmed itself to. This is a consistent problem dating back to the 4s. Here's a link to another forum https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4363264

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
So this happened a few times with my iPhone 6 (also the first time I've experienced this behavoir throughout all my years of owning an iPhone -- although I did not have an iPhone 5S).

So can we conclude this is due to a "heating issue" or are there confirmed instances where the phone was clearly not overheating yet dimmed?

I personally don't remember the phone being hot when it happened; although having read through this thread, I will feel it next time it happens.

It's a small thing, but it's very frustrating.

NJREDDY

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
iPhone 6 Screen Dimming Problem

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 6. Moving the brightness slider works but the actual brightness of the screen is only operating at about 50% of the brightness it should be – even at the max setting. And yes, the autobrightness is turned off! It’s almost as if the screen is operating in a ‘power-saving’ mode. Have tried amending every possible phone setting including restart so I’m guessing it’s a software as opposed to a hardware issue. Maybe restoring the firmware will fix it – but you know how long that can take!

Pacopil

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Screen dimming

Hi!
Im from spain so , sorry about my bad english.
First of all, hello to everyone.
I hope that what I'm going to writ it helps people.
I have an iphone 6 and iPad mini retina both with iOS 8.1.
My iphone keeps dimming when playing games after 10 minutes when is set on maximum brightness, it dims about 10%,15%.
The problem is , my iPad mini retina it didn't do it with iOS 7, but, it does with iOS 8, just when gets little hot(not too hot) , dims until it gets cold back again.
The only way i manage to sort it out it was setting brightness to 80% and , it doesn't do it any more and it is enough brightness i think.
Really hope it helps people my experience.
Thank you.

NJREDDY

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
iPhone Screen Dimming

I found out a solution to my own problem!
For some reason triple clicking the HOME button dims the screen, even though the triple click option was set to 'Zoom'
Problem was resolved by triple clicking again. I still don't know why!!!!

Pacopil

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Same problem

I,m afraid that i tried playing different games for 30 minutes periods, and still doing the same thing on iOS 8.1.1. but, that is my personal experience...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I can understand this if a device is being strained to it's limit while in a warm environment, though even then I'm not sure how much heat difference turning down the brightness would make.

That said, this seems to happen when doing simple things like watching MP4 videos, or even browsing Safari at times. It's also far from warm weather where I am.

Backlighting is a major source of heating and between the backlighting and intensive CPU usage the phone WILL get so warm that it does dim the backlighting. If in the sun it can happen very quickly.

roberto.caldas

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Happening with me all the time, doing normal stuff like browsing.
iPhone 6.

It seems that 100% of my Apple devices has issues. FY Apple.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I can understand this if a device is being strained to it's limit while in a warm environment, though even then I'm not sure how much heat difference turning down the brightness would make.

That said, this seems to happen when doing simple things like watching MP4 videos, or even browsing Safari at times. It's also far from warm weather where I am.

My 6 Plus has no had a problem but my 5S did a few times even when it was not even close to overheating. If it can be demonstrated, Apple should replace!

Apple-Mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
It happened to me too. I think it happens when the phones gets hot. As soon as it cools down a little bit the brightness goes to maximum again.

I have done some tests on my Brand new iPhone 6 that i got today as i noticed the same random backlight dim. I let it heat up while (this wasn't hard to do) once the phone got to its threshold the backlight automatically dimmed to reduce heat. I then instantly placed the phone in front of my air conditioner once the phone cooled back down the screen automatically went back to full brightness. I was able to replicate these results multiple times.

I then this afternoon went back and spoke to a Genius at my local Apple Store and they were able to confirm my results.

ConduciveMammal

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd drop in an leave a reply.

I too am having his issue on iPhone 5s.

The problem does appear to be an overheating thing for me.
I'm running an unofficial battery after replacing the original a few months back.

When charging my phone, it gets luke warm, but if I'm using the phone whilst it's on charge, it gets really really warm, borderline hot.
That's when the dimming kicks in.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 6+ does it fairly often too. One of the more minor bugs but I can't see how it's related to overheating because my 6+ ownership has been over the winter months thus far and I never do anything demanding like play games etc. It can also happen straight after waking the phone, the screen will go to the usual setting and then suddenly dim.

nihe86

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2015
Same issue. Think I find out how to solve it.

I had an iPhone 5s and had no problem regarding this issue. Then I bought the iPhone 6 (restored my 6 from my 5s backup) and this started happening (probably because iOS8). I had another issue that didn't seem to be related with the first one: when I took a screenshot, a zoom feature appeared on my screen, wasn't able to solve this either. Initially I thought it was a hardware problem. I changed back to my 5s, and then the 5s showed the same problem. Then I realized it was a software issue. No apparent relation with hottness.

Have been trying to solve this for a while, with no luck. Went to Apple store, no luck. They told me to restore my phone and started it as a new one (didn't even try this, don't want to lose my info). Believed I was crazy, gone through all the same things everyone here has gone through. Finally, I read this article that it seems to have solved our issue. Please try this, it worked for me: Go to Settings > General > Accesibility > Zoom > DISABLE ZOOM. Full brightness returns. Please let me know if this helps.

dOpiated

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
Please try this, it worked for me: Go to Settings > General > Accesibility > Zoom > DISABLE ZOOM. Full brightness returns. Please let me know if this helps.

iPhone 6, fully updated iOS as of this post, auto-brightness off, brightness bar at 100%, full battery charge and not plugged in, Lifeproof case. Random backlight dimming that drives me mad.

My zoom was already disabled. In case your post was actually suggesting turning on, and then back off zoom (because I'm not sure why someone would assume everyone in this thread already has zoom enabled) I also tried that. No change.

(at)thisisbuck

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
I had an iPhone 5s and had no problem regarding this issue. Then I bought the iPhone 6 (restored my 6 from my 5s backup) and this started happening (probably because iOS8). I had another issue that didn't seem to be related with the first one: when I took a screenshot, a zoom feature appeared on my screen, wasn't able to solve this either. Initially I thought it was a hardware problem. I changed back to my 5s, and then the 5s showed the same problem. Then I realized it was a software issue. No apparent relation with hottness.

Have been trying to solve this for a while, with no luck. Went to Apple store, no luck. They told me to restore my phone and started it as a new one (didn't even try this, don't want to lose my info). Believed I was crazy, gone through all the same things everyone here has gone through. Finally, I read this article that it seems to have solved our issue. Please try this, it worked for me: Go to Settings > General > Accesibility > Zoom > DISABLE ZOOM. Full brightness returns. Please let me know if this helps.

I was having the same problem as everyone else, and had my auto brightness turned off. I actually did the opposite and reenabled my zoom and it kicked it back to full brightness, so you might want to give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.