Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Is this still the case? I haven't played an Xbox One online, just in local multiplayer/hotseat type games so I'm not sure what it does or doesn't do over the 360 :)

The PS4 lets other people play your games via streaming, lets you play your own games on another system via streaming, has video chat, voice chat, a party system, messages with video and audio, friend list, compare trophies with friends, able to view real names+avatar, list of people you met in games. Even the Vita has all that except video chat (or maybe it does? it does have a camera but I've never looked for an app!).

What does the Xbox One offer over that?

Xbox one has pretty much the same feature as PS4. Actually, One has better camera thanks to Kinect. The thing is online infrastructure, sometimes psn goes under the maintenance for a while. When I was playing on PS3 or friend of mine complaint about the some sort of issues on the online. Also PS4 is fully capable to run video games 1080p 30/60 fps, Xbox One is like 900p 30/60. PS4 definitely needs to get credit for that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Xbox one has pretty much the same feature as PS4. Actually, One has better camera thanks to Kinect. The thing is online infrastructure, sometimes psn goes under the maintenance for a while. When I was playing on PS3 or friend of mine complaint about the some sort of issues on the online. Also PS4 is fully capable to run video games 1080p 30/60 fps, Xbox One is like 900p 30/60. PS4 definitely needs to get credit for that.

I just mean how is Xbox Live better than PSN at this stage? I see features unique to Sony platforms that really push it forward (streaming games to friends so they can play them, streaming so you can play on Vita etc). Feature wise I thought they were all on par with online (minus those previously mentioned features).

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I just mean how is Xbox Live better than PSN at this stage? I see features unique to Sony platforms that really push it forward (streaming games to friends so they can play them, streaming so you can play on Vita etc). Feature wise I thought they were all on par with online (minus those previously mentioned features).

We bought our oldest kid a PS Vita for his birthday, and I was amazed how well remote play works on the Vita from the PS4. What I love most about remote play is when my kid is loud talking with friends playing online games on the PS4... and I'm working or gaming on my computer... he can just go upstairs in his room, turn on his Vita, and continue playing on the PS4 thorugh his hand held device... and I don't have to hear him talking/yelling with his friends. Remote play works so well, I'm tempted to buy the NVidia Shield to remote gamestream my computer games.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON

Xbox does not have streaming feature actually, games runs smoothly online games. Streaming is a nice feature actually, when you the vita. Microsoft does not even have portable game console.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Xbox does not have streaming feature actually, games runs smoothly online games. Streaming is a nice feature actually, when you the vita. Microsoft does not even have portable game console.

But people keep saying that Xbox Live is better than PSN, what does it have over PSN these days? (genuine question. I've tried searching on Google but there's just fanboy wars all over the place! Would love a laundry list over features comparing the two)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If I had to re-buy today, it would be XBox One (play it whenever I'm at the MS Store). Too bad MS insisted on a $499 Kinect bundle back in the beginning and free games and Netflix, Hulu+, etc. were behind their paywall.

The XBox controller has always been more comfortable (though the PS4 one is a little better, but not as good as XBox's).

I love Killzone but Knack has been so-so (seemed to be more a PS3 game they decided to be a PS4 launch title instead).

No loss, I'll end up getting a Special Edition Halo XBox One Console when they are released next-year - there a a bunch of Wii U games to keep me busy until then... :eek:

;)

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
PS4.

Almost every game is visually better on PS4 over Xbox One. Netflix was always free to access on Sony's consoles versus forced to pay for Xbox Live. This changed recently but still is worth mentioning since it speaks to the mindsets of both companies. Power supply is built-in on PS4, versus external on Xbox One. The overall console is smaller (fact) despite the internal power supply and better looking (my opinion). Controller is wireless and battery is rechargeable via a standard USB. Xbox uses batteries and the rechargeable battery kit is just all effed up and not easy to use.

Interface isn't full of ads unlike Xbox One. PSN is a better deal than Xbox Live. Even if you pay for Xbox Live, you still get an ad-ridden interface on Xbox One.

You really are biased.... have you ever even used a Xbox One?

1) Xbox One is basically silent even after running for hours. The PS4 sounds like a jet engine. I know, cause I had both.
2) Power supply being external is why the Xbox One runs cooler and quieter.
3) I'd rather have batteries and battery packs that I can replace, its a lot cheaper than buying a new controller when the one in your PS4 controller dies. (I've had two die on my PS3)

The Xbox One controller battery kit is "effed up and not easy to use". I didn't realize it was not easy to remove a battery cover or plug in a mini USB cable?
4) Ads on the Xbox One, yeah it has ads. But have you taken a good look at your PS4 interface when you go into each section? The ads are RIDICULOUS on the PS4... again, I had one, so I know.

As for games being visually better on the PS4, yeah, I agree with you on that. BUT... I'd rather have a smoother framerate and a lower res than a dipping 30FPS rate at 1080p. Game selection wise, there really isn't ANY exclusive game on the PS4 that makes it a system buyer at this point of the year. Sony hasn't released anything exclusive that will sell the PS4. The only thing they have is marketing Destiny like it is an exclusive, otherwise, I've been telling anyone who asks me, to get a Xbox One. Microsoft is killing it this quarter.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So Xbox 360 owner here looking to upgrade. On the look out for a Black Friday deal. I would just buy the Xbox One, but my daughter (and more importantly her friends) are on the PS4 fan train.
So do I need to get anything beside the console and an extra controller. I'm familiar with how Xbox live works, but how does the equivalent PSN? Is it a subscription service, or have different levels like the Xbox?
Also do you have to link it to a credit card, given all the hacks, or can you do it through gift cards?
Finally games. She wants little big planet. I'll probably play catch up on COD and might try Destiny.
Trouble is I know when they release Halo 5, I'll be itching to get an Xbox one (and probably will!).

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005

1) Xbox One is basically silent even after running for hours. The PS4 sounds like a jet engine. I know, cause I had both..

My PS4 is quiet, I never hear it. Maybe you had a faulty unit?

Again, I can hardly imagine my PS4 being any quieter. :)

3) I'd rather have batteries and battery packs that I can replace, its a lot cheaper than buying a new controller when the one in your PS4 controller dies. (I've had two die on my PS3)

Both my PS3 controllers have been going for over seven years without a hitch and still get great battery life. Sounds like you've had some bad luck with your hardware in the past.

4) Ads on the Xbox One, yeah it has ads. But have you taken a good look at your PS4 interface when you go into each section? The ads are RIDICULOUS on the PS4... again, I had one, so I know..

Never noticed any ads on my PS4. If they are there, they must be pretty subtle.

As for games being visually better on the PS4, yeah, I agree with you on that. BUT... I'd rather have a smoother framerate and a lower res than a dipping 30FPS rate at 1080p.

Never noticed or heard of framerate dips on the PS4, just a difference in resolutions. Then again, I don't really care - games look great on both systems, the perceivable difference is marginal and to me makes no difference.

Game selection wise, there really isn't ANY exclusive game on the PS4 that makes it a system buyer at this point of the year. Sony hasn't released anything exclusive that will sell the PS4. The only thing they have is marketing Destiny like it is an exclusive, otherwise, I've been telling anyone who asks me, to get a Xbox One. Microsoft is killing it this quarter.

Both systems have had a few "decent" exclusives so far, but nothing spectacular. Looking at what's on the horizon, PS4 seems to cater more to my taste. That's just personal opinion though.

Both are great systems with decent games out and better games coming out later. I guess I will never understand why for some people one system needs to be the "winner". :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So Xbox 360 owner here looking to upgrade. On the look out for a Black Friday deal. I would just buy the Xbox One, but my daughter (and more importantly her friends) are on the PS4 fan train.
So do I need to get anything beside the console and an extra controller. I'm familiar with how Xbox live works, but how does the equivalent PSN? Is it a subscription service, or have different levels like the Xbox?
Also do you have to link it to a credit card, given all the hacks, or can you do it through gift cards?
Finally games. She wants little big planet. I'll probably play catch up on COD and might try Destiny.
Trouble is I know when they release Halo 5, I'll be itching to get an Xbox one (and probably will!).

The subscription service is called "PS Plus" and sets you back 50 bucks per year. This includes online gaming and the so-called "instant game collection": Every month, Sony will provide two full games per system (PS4. PS3, PSV) that you can download and keep playing as long as you are a subscriber. December's offering includes "Injustice: Gods Among Us" for PS4.

There are gift cards available, so I don't think you need a credit card.

As for games: The Last of Us, GTAV and Far Cry 4 are currently on my shopping list. If you guys enjoy Minecraft, the PS4 version is a no-brainer. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You know you can open them up and put a new battery pack in? I prefer all my batteries built-in now, having to manage a bunch of Eneloops is a pain for my older Gameboys! heh.

4) Ads on the Xbox One, yeah it has ads. But have you taken a good look at your PS4 interface when you go into each section? The ads are RIDICULOUS on the PS4... again, I had one, so I know.
What adverts on the PS4? There's the "Whats New" page that shows what your friends have been doing. I don't see any adverts. You might have to point these out to us! Are there none on the EU version? (I know the PS3 had no adverts in the EU)

As for games being visually better on the PS4, yeah, I agree with you on that. BUT... I'd rather have a smoother framerate and a lower res than a dipping 30FPS rate at 1080p.
This is cherry picking. Some games do that, others don't. Then you have games like GTA that look better on PS4 and has a more solid frame rate. You can't make claims either way on this one since it's entirely down to the developer, the SDK they have access to, and the nuances of the engines they're using. All you can say is the PS4 is a more powerful machine.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

1) Xbox One is basically silent even after running for hours. The PS4 sounds like a jet engine. I know, cause I had both.

The Xbox One controller battery kit is "effed up and not easy to use". I didn't realize it was not easy to remove a battery cover or plug in a mini USB cable?

As for games being visually better on the PS4, yeah, I agree with you on that. BUT... I'd rather have a smoother framerate and a lower res than a dipping 30FPS rate at 1080p. Game selection wise, there really isn't ANY exclusive game on the PS4 that makes it a system buyer at this point of the year. Sony hasn't released anything exclusive that will sell the PS4. The only thing they have is marketing Destiny like it is an exclusive, otherwise, I've been telling anyone who asks me, to get a Xbox One. Microsoft is killing it this quarter.

Jet engine? Are you sure that's "accurate" and "not biased"? Also, where is proof that PS4 runs louder and hotter? I don't know what defective unit you got, but mine has been quiet and cool and a friend's Xbox is around the same, not much of a difference either way.

I'm okay with ads hidden in particular sections like the Playstation Store. I'm not okay with ads right on the damn homescreen, taking up an entire square per ad. Maybe they changed this recently, but it was something many reviewers complained about in the beginning. Also let's not forget the highway robbery that was Xbox Live and how you needed to buy that in order to use Netflix and other streaming services... ON TOP of what you already pay for said streaming services. This just changed recently... after so many years on Xbox 360.

The reasons you tout for the Xbox One can be used against yourself. Does the Xbox have so many exclusives that definitively outclasses PS4? Microsoft also ran a marketing campaign for a game... called Unity. So what is Sony ran one for Destiny? What's your point? If a company runs a marketing campaign for a game... is that not right in your book?

Using anecdotal evidence like 2 controllers die on you as something statistically significant is just amusing. I have 2 controllers, one included and one bought extra and both are fine. Before PS4, I've had PS3 controllers last for upwards of 5 years (still going strong today). But I'm just one person out of millions. My one personal experience isn't representative of the whole. Can you charge the Xbox One's rechargeable batteries with the USB cable included with the Xbox? No you cannot. It's another specially included cable.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So set up the PS4 last night. No big issues except my plan on where to put it were some what shot down by the lack of a plinth (which is pictured on the console on the box), which apparently you have to buy separately.

Couple of questions for you die hard ps4 owners.

How long do the controllers last on a single charge?

Ps4 camera, is it worth getting?

Stupid thing was I was in town yesterday and went into our game shop. Without even thinking I started looking at the Xbox game section! Then I remembered.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How long do the controllers last on a single charge?
I haven't worked it out or anything but they don't last long, not as long as my PS3 controllers. Usually 2 weeks worth (at 5 hours a week?). But with the PS4's Rest Mode letting you charge up controllers it's not something that bothers me.

Ps4 camera, is it worth getting?
So far I've found no real use for it. I picked one up because it was cheap at the time and thought I'd jump in for the "full experience", and because it means my Move controller works as intended! But no real use for it so far.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I haven't worked it out or anything but they don't last long, not as long as my PS3 controllers. Usually 2 weeks worth (at 5 hours a week?). But with the PS4's Rest Mode letting you charge up controllers it's not something that bothers me.

So far I've found no real use for it. I picked one up because it was cheap at the time and thought I'd jump in for the "full experience", and because it means my Move controller works as intended! But no real use for it so far.

Ok thanks. So basically like the Kinnect. A good idea in principle, but very much depends on the size of your lounge.
Hardly ever used ours.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I own a PS4. I like it. I may end up with an Xbone one day if there’s an exclusive that I must have and can’t get for PS4 or computer.

I don’t like how it won’t play movies off of a USB. Fortunately I have a Samsung that will. The PS3 would, but apparently Sony wants to force you to use their streaming services if you’re going to use their devices. I find that annoying.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Sony wants to force you to use their streaming services if you’re going to use their devices. I find that annoying.

I'm getting tired of Sony and crap like this.

The first PS3s had actual PS2 hardware in them to play PS2 games, the European version didn't have this but instead software emulation, that worked rather badly and they removed it from all future PS3s.

So, if the PS3 could handle PS2 games to some degree, then why can't they do it for the PS4? Oh, I know, because they want to push their expensive game streaming service.

So far the streaming service only has PS3 games, I'm hoping Sony has decided it'd just be too much effort to stream PS1/PS2 games as well and just add an emulator to a future software update, there have also been rumours of PS1/PS2 emulation coming, I'm optimistic, but for now it seems it's more about them wanting you to pay a fortune to waste bandwidth than about capabilities.

Heck! I'd buy an app on the PS Store that could do proper emulation as long as it isn't too expensive, maybe up to £20 to £30.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
After 10 years with Xbox consoles mostly playing Halo, and dabbling on my friends Playstation consoles playing Tekken, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc. I gotta say...both these consoles are awful and most games on console and in general are rushed and hyped to make first days sales while being half finished.

Ill be switching to PC and playing Blizzard/Riot games only soon I think. Both those devs seem to care immensely about their games more than many companies, and they both support Mac versions...and I support that:)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Never had a PC gaming machine, never will but wondered for the fans of PC gaming dont you miss sitting on the couch and just relaxing while you game?

Not a knock, just always wondered that. :)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Never had a PC gaming machine, never will but wondered for the fans of PC gaming dont you miss sitting on the couch and just relaxing while you game?

Not a knock, just always wondered that. :)

It depends on the PC gamers setup. I see a lot of PC gamers that use 40 to 60+ inch TV's since GPU cards have HDMI. I used a 42" TV for my monitor for years until I switched to 3x 24" 120hz monitors in 5760x1080 resolution (Pics of my PC/gaming setup in sig). Since PC's can use a wireless XBox game controllers, you can easily PC game from the couch. The downside on gaming on TV's is input lag, and TV refresh rate. I prefer playing on my 120hz monitors if I gaming at higher fps... and with faster input. Depending on the game... I play my PC games with a wireless Xbox controler relaxing on the couch. Sometimes I prefer the Xbox controller over keyboard and mouse for certain games.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
As a mac user, booting up a windows PC to play games somehow makes me feel dirty :apple:

No, in all seriousness though, I'd probably play more PC games, but my day job is in front of a computer all day, and the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer all night too just to play games, that's why I game on console on the couch.

But most cross-platform games can play with a controller nowadays on PC to a large flat screen, so that's what I'd do if I was to start playing games on PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.