Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nufan81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Hi there,

I have iCloud Photo Library enabled and like how it works. It's fast for me and syncs well between my iPhone and iPad, along with freeing up some much needed space on my small capacity devices. I also have OneDrive auto photo backup enabled, which I like for redundancy sake along with the fact it gives me better access to the photos across non iOS platforms.

It's only been recently I've enabled the OneDrive auto backup, and I'd like to backup all my photos previous to me enabling it to OneDrive as well. My only access to my iCloud Photo Library on a computer is the Photos app on iCloud.com. All my photos show up there fine but when I try to select multiple photos (around 1000 is what I need to download and copy to OneDrive) it doesn't work. The downloads start but they come in as download, download (1), download (2) etc... They have no file extension and therefor can't be viewed as the photos that they are. Interestingly they do have file size to them. I have tried this on both Windows 7 and OSX 10.10 and on various browsers (Safari, Chrome and Firefox).

Has anyone else had this problem downloading lots of photos at once? Unfortunately it would seem I can't download the entire album on iCloud.com Anyone have any other suggestions on how to get my photos from my iCloud Photo Library downloaded so I can put them somewhere else?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

nufan81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I guess no one else had this issue or a need to download all their photos from iCloud but my theory is that any photo that was taken before iCloud Photo Library became available is not saved as a proper .jpg, and downloads simply as "download" without any file extension, regardless of whether you download one at a time or multiple. Kind of irritating. As long as you add the .jpg extension the picture becomes available again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.