Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pleasehelpjrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
The 6 plus has 3 microphones just like the 5 and 4.

:confused:I would like to know which microphone is active with which app?:confused:

Some cases seem to cover a microphone.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above there is 2

iPhone 4/4s was on top next to headphone jack and at the bottom.

5/5s was between camera/flash and bottom

6/6+ same as 5/5s

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Shown below

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 1.53.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 1.53.50 PM.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 1,455

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
:confused:I would like to know which microphone is active with which app?:confused:

All three, all the time a mic is needed. One becomes the primary mic, and the other two are used for noise cancellation.

As for which mic becomes the primary, it's not app-dependent, but rather use-case dependent.

In regular phone mode, obviously the bottom mic is the primary, with the rear mic used for noise cancellation. But when you switch to speakerphone mode, the phone switches between the three mics depending on where a clear, loud human voice is speaking relative to the phone, and how the phone is oriented.
Same is true for when audio recording apps are being used.

For video recording, and FaceTime: Primary mic depends on which camera is being used. Turning on the front-facing camera makes the front-facing mic the primary. Using the rear camera switches it to the rear mic.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
All three, all the time a mic is needed. One becomes the primary mic, and the other two are used for noise cancellation.

As for which mic becomes the primary, it's not app-dependent, but rather use-case dependent.

In regular phone mode, obviously the bottom mic is the primary, with the rear mic used for noise cancellation. But when you switch to speakerphone mode, the phone switches between the three mics depending on where a clear, loud human voice is speaking relative to the phone, and how the phone is oriented.
Same is true for when audio recording apps are being used.

For video recording, and FaceTime: Primary mic depends on which camera is being used. Turning on the front-facing camera makes the front-facing mic the primary. Using the rear camera switches it to the rear mic.

If you don't mind me asking, how in the world do you know this? (And it's not that I doubt that you know; I just want to know how you know).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you don't mind me asking, how in the world do you know this? (And it's not that I doubt that you know; I just want to know how you know).

I pay attention to the Apple Keynotes. :) The process was described when they explained the 3 mics.

Also, there is a tidbit of info on how it works here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/275481/disable-phone-noise-cancelation-iphone-ios-tips/

Incidentally, this process of noise stream counteraction (which is really what's happening) can actually cause some uncomfortable sensations for some, which is why it can be turned off in settings.

pleasehelpjrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
3? There's one the bottom and the one next to the camera. Where's the third?

The user manual lists them as front, bottom and rear.

See attachment. However, the manual does not tell which works when?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 1.56.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 1.56.13 PM.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 41,661

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not sure where the mics are on the 6+, but the noise canceling is fantastic. I was talking on the phone when it was crazy windy last week and the person on the other end could not hear it as all.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
All these microphones and yet the iPhone still can't record video with stereo sound. Seriously apple, fix this. It's been long enough.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
All these microphones and yet the iPhone still can't record video with stereo sound. Seriously apple, fix this. It's been long enough.

I'm a recording engineer and I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference between a stereo micd phone and a mono phone, when the mics are placed 15cm apart (chances are, the left Mic on those 'stereo phones' will pic up almost exactly what the Right mic is picking up. Thereby, no stereo).

I recorded a concert the other night on the iPhone and the sound was unbelievable.

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I'm a recording engineer and I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference between a stereo micd phone and a mono phone, when the mics are placed 15cm apart (chances are, the left Mic on those 'stereo phones' will pic up almost exactly what the Right mic is picking up. Thereby, no stereo).

I recorded a concert the other night on the iPhone and the sound was unbelievable.

I'm a recording engineer myself and I agree 100%.

It doesn't make any sense to include a stereo mic in a 15.8cm phone since for an AB-stereophony at least 20cm of space between the mics would be required, depending on the sound source to be recorded. Everything smaller than that will pretty much result in a mono recording.

This problem could be solved by using cardioid microphones creating a XY-stereophony which don't require any space between them whatsoever, however, a cardioid pattern would need to be created acoustically, which takes up a lot of space, so this is no possibility either in a phone that small.

However, on an iPad which is almost 25cm long in landscape, a stereo recording would somewhat work, again, depending on the sound source to be recorded. Normally, you would record sound sources further away than a few inches which requires much more space (up to 2m) to create a stereo recording.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but you guys will be stuck with mono.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
All you "audio engineers" are so incorrect.

Audio on my Lumia 1020 and HTC M7 is ridiculously awesome. Clear separation, clear sound. It's amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.