Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I want to buy a RiMac to replace my 4-1/2 year old iMac. My local Apple Store has the base model in stock, which is the one I want. I can walk in tomorrow and take one home. Question: is it worth waiting until Black Friday to buy one? I know that, last year, while Apple didn't discount, they did offer incentives in the form of Apple Store Gift Cards. Is there any reason to think they won't do the same this year? I'm thinking that, if I wait, I can use Apple Gift Cards to pay for Apple Care.

I know this is stupid. And, yeah, if you can't wait 10 days to find out, you're an idiot :roll eyes:

Hence my...nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I want to buy a RiMac to replace my 4-1/2 year old iMac. My local Apple Store has the base model in stock, which is the one I want. I can walk in tomorrow and take one home. Question: is it worth waiting until Black Friday to buy one? I know that, last year, while Apple didn't discount, they did offer incentives in the form of Apple Store Gift Cards. Is there any reason to think they won't do the same this year? I'm thinking that, if I wait, I can use Apple Gift Cards to pay for Apple Care.

I know this is stupid. And, yeah, if you can't wait 10 days to find out, you're an idiot :roll eyes:

Hence my...nevermind.

It may not be there on BF!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Hence my...nevermind.

There exists the possibility that they may not include the retina 5K iMac in their Black Friday sales as they usually tend to focus on the mid-range products (MacBook Pro, lesser iMacs). Though, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out (I just wouldn't bank on Black Friday).

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
An AppleCare agreement is tied to both the computer by serial number and to the person who purchased the coverage,doesn't matter where you bought.
And AppleCare at B&H is 122. Apple sells for 169.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
An AppleCare agreement is tied to both the computer by serial number and to the person who purchased the coverage,doesn't matter where you bought.
Actually, AppleCare is only tied to the computer, not to the buyer.
Sorry to sound stupid, but as far as Apple honoring the warranty, does it make any difference where I bought it, B&H Photo rather than Apple?
No difference at all. I've bought quite a lot from B&H, and have been very satisfied.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Update

Just ordered from B&H.
Saved $50 on purchase price, $190 on tax, and $47 on Apple Care. It is supposed to be delivered on Thursday.
Glad it's over, glad I don't have to wait until BF, and glad I saved money. Really want to thank everyone for their valuable advice.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just ordered from B&H.
Saved $50 on purchase price, $190 on tax, and $47 on Apple Care. It is supposed to be delivered on Thursday.
Glad it's over, glad I don't have to wait until BF, and glad I saved money. Really want to thank everyone for their valuable advice.
Enjoy your new Mac!

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
He already made his purchase. B&H Video rocks!

B&H Photo does indeed rock. I saved some serious coin.

I think they will be my go-to guys in future. Just to review: I saved $50 with their discount, $190 in sales tax I didn't have to pay, and $47 purchasing Apple Care from them rather than from Apple (and yes, I went and checked, and my Apple Care in in effect). So yes, I am very happy I made my purchase from them rather than Apple. And I wouldn't have known to do that without the very generous advice I received here. Thank you all.

Last edited:

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
How is it? Give some feedback, I think Santa has that for me this year:)

Just received it yesterday (3 days from NYC to Colorado!) and set it up this afternoon, transferred all my documents, data, settings et al in about an hour. Very easy. And it's beautiful. I'm feeling pretty good about things just now. It's fast, the display is, well, you know. But I must say one thing. I have my 2010 21.5" sitting right next to it, and of course the display is no contest. But, given my memory of the 2013 that I had briefly (and sent back because of couple of dead pixels), the Retina display on this baby doesn't scream, "I'm so much better". That it is better, no question, but the difference (at least on stuff I've looked at so far, and it's only been a couple of hours) is not black and white. i'm glad I invested in it, but I think you would have to have both machines side by side to appreciate the difference. But maybe that's just me. Also, after ordering, I read all sorts of screed on this site about the standard video card being underpowered for such a display, and even before I received it I was having buyer's remorse. But the thing is,
1) This is already more than I ever envisioned spending on a computer. Had I upgraded the video card, I would have been close to 3K, and I refuse to do that. I won't.
2) My uses. I do email, surf the web, do my taxes once a year, do iPhoto (not heavy editing), and play around in iMovie. And, most of all, create text files in Pages (i'm a writer). As said, I've read the horror stories about the base video card not being up to the demands of such a display, and have decided that I'll never see it, for what I do. If it becomes a problem, which I cannot imagine, I'll pay to have the video card upgraded or simply sell this and buy a new one. But I don't see this happening. I feel that I know what I need, and for me this wonderful machine is probably overkill, but what the hell. You only live once. This machine is amazing, and money well-spent. And if there's a problem, I'm cool for three years. I'm not going to worry about things which will not affect me, nor let it ruin my enthusiasm for my new Mac.

Overall, first impressions very positive.

If you get one (or are lucky enough to have someone who will get one for you), you won't regret it.

Take care.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you for that detailed observation. Happy for you, it's true you live just once, picked up the base MacBook 15 for 1520 out the door few weeks ago, but will get this any ways, why not.
Enjoy brother.
You take care as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.