Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmil

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
I'm still waiting for my pre-order. I want to test out how cool it might be with the macro 15X combined with the 240 fps slow-mo camera. I think it could produce great "flying bug shots".

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
£70! No thanks

That's the kicker for me too. I gladly spent £300 on a nice prime the other week because it's going to work with my camera for the next decade or so. Once I upgrade my phone this isn't guaranteed to work any more. The money on a lens system like this just doesn't seem worth it, especially since the overall image isn't that great.

Half that price and I might bite.

----------

I'm still waiting for my pre-order. I want to test out how cool it might be with the macro 15X combined with the 240 fps slow-mo camera. I think it could produce great "flying bug shots".

Now that sounds interesting!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Hi 'jclo', I have just received it, but my concern is to take the case off the phone... Have you ever used any kind of skins on the iPhone which will work with the lenses? I was looking on to the Bodyguardz all body clear skin.

Yeah, it's a bummer that it doesn't work with a case. I have not used a skin with one of the Olloclip lenses, but if the Bodyguardz is thin enough, it seems like it would still fit on fine. using it still had somewhat decent sound from the bottom microphone.

Unless they've changed the clip substantially from their prior two generations, don't count on using even a thin skin. I tried it and the skin simply peels up and crumples as you put the lens on...if it goes on at all.

I've had the last two, and they're excellent bits of kit...but only if you're willing caseless, or don't mind removing the case constantly. Not sure I'll buy this time.

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Damn. I already lost my wide-angle lens. :( I took a macro and I guess I didn't tighten it enough. I guess I won't be wearing it around my neck anymore.

I emailed olloclip support and offered to buy another lens without rebuying the whole package.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Not suggesting that at all. I was actually considering buying until I saw the price. Let's be frank, £70 is expensive... it's not worth that to me.

I just never sincerely understand the point in complaining about prices for something if it's not something crucial like food. My attitude is either buy it or not. If I really want it then I'd pay £70. If I don't need it then I don't care how much does it cost.

Idk I'm not rich and not into iphone photography but £70 doesn't seem like an outrageous price. If there're cheaper alternatives of the same quality I'd be interested to see them.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
The only thing I dislike is the fact that you cannot put the Olloclip on over a case...

I've used Olloclips with every model of iPhone. Imho they're worth it, but it depends on your uses. The ability to get a wide photo of a group indoors, for ex, or a wide landscape; the macros are astounding, but less useful for me, at least.

The case thing isn't a big problem unless you have a particular case you insist on using.

Instead, buy one of the two-piece cases that slip on top and bottom: When you want to use the Olloclip, just slide the top piece off, and attach the Olloclip.

Better yet, wait for the Olloclip case due within a month. If it's as thought-out as the previous models, it'll be great. The prior ones had a hinged top portion that swung out of the way, exposing the bare top portion of the phone and allowing the lenses to be clipped on. Better yet, the portion that pivoted out of the way lined up with the volume button and thus became a great shutter release. The case protected the phone, but made using the Olloclip even better. It became my all-the-time case. I'm just sorry they didn't release it with the lenses.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I've used Olloclips with every model of iPhone. Imho they're worth it, but it depends on your uses. The ability to get a wide photo of a group indoors, for ex, or a wide landscape; the macros are astounding, but less useful for me, at least.

I've also owned and used the last two. I don't like the cheap cases that so quickly come off - they're not secure enough for every day use. The lenses in the Olioclip are no better/worse than many of the other brands available. I bought a set that clips on, and they work great. (And cost a fraction of the Olioclip.)

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Trying to place the location of the wide-angle shot in the original post. I see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Is that the Presidio?

g33

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
I've also owned and used the last two. I don't like the cheap cases that so quickly come off - they're not secure enough for every day use. The lenses in the Olioclip are no better/worse than many of the other brands available. I bought a set that clips on, and they work great. (And cost a fraction of the Olioclip.)

Could you let us know the alternatives? Thanks

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Trying to place the location of the wide-angle shot in the original post. I see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. Is that the Presidio?

Close. I was at Fort Mason.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

Could you let us know the alternatives? Thanks

I also own a range of alternative lenses that either clip on or are magnetic, but I don't have any that fit the iPhone 6 right now.

I have this set for the iPhone 5s: http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/

Quality is decent, not quite at Olloclip level, but the lenses give similar effects and you can buy individually. I don't really care for how they attach, personally, because you have to put a stick-on magnetic ring around the camera. I also have some plain clip-on lenses (not sure of the brand), but the quality is pretty abysmal.

I've tried some of the cases with interchangeable lenses, which have worked okay, but the pricing is no better than Olloclip: http://www.optrix.com/photography-products/

I'm a big fan of photo accessories for my iPhone so I've had a chance to look at a lot of what's out there, Olloclip's a pretty decent compromise between price and quality.

----------

The case thing isn't a big problem unless you have a particular case you insist on using.

Instead, buy one of the two-piece cases that slip on top and bottom: When you want to use the Olloclip, just slide the top piece off, and attach the Olloclip.

Better yet, wait for the Olloclip case due within a month. If it's as thought-out as the previous models, it'll be great. The prior ones had a hinged top portion that swung out of the way, exposing the bare top portion of the phone and allowing the lenses to be clipped on. Better yet, the portion that pivoted out of the way lined up with the volume button and thus became a great shutter release. The case protected the phone, but made using the Olloclip even better. It became my all-the-time case. I'm just sorry they didn't release it with the lenses.

Agreed, the Olloclip case is pretty handy, if a little bulky. I had one for my iPhone 5s and look forward to having one for my iPhone 6 Plus.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Close. I was at Fort Mason.

Of course! When I was looking at it, my first thought was the Presidio, but there was a bit of doubt in my mind. It's been years since I lived and worked in the Bay Area, and I had completely forgotten about Fort Mason.

Thanks for the reply :)

theFATangel

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Other than the telephoto, the wide angle and macro lenses seem a bit novel IMHO. Circular polarizing filter please!

ricperry1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
If anyone has any questions about the 4-in-1 Photo Lens for the iPhone 6/6 Plus let me know.

Do the lenses make low-light photography more feasible? I'm wondering how much more light they can gather and push to the sensor versus not using the Olloclip. Thanks!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Do the lenses make low-light photography more feasible? I'm wondering how much more light they can gather and push to the sensor versus not using the Olloclip. Thanks!

Good question. I have not noticed any improvement in low light images with the Olloclip lenses. If anything, photos are just a teensy bit darker with the lenses on than without in low light conditions.

QT317

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
as someone who has owned one for everyone iphone shape since the 4, its getting kind of old that they keep selling you the $90 clip with lenses.

Just sell me the updated clip for the new form factor and let me mount my old lenses to that, you know, like any other camera.

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013

Is there somewhere we can sign up for alerts for what I guess will be called the "Olloclip iPhone 6 Quick-Flip Case"?

otomo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
Air Jacket

I have a clear Air Jacket case for the iPhone 6 Plus -- will the Olloclip fit over that? It's on quite tight and a pain to remove.

ea1a8dd7-edeb-43fd-b609-36a295d0f846.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.