Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Yep. And when we came back to the parking lot, we could not see the power plant across the street. The guide said the wind was the worst she had seen in late spring in her life.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Hey Guys, I want to get the new Hoya HD2 filter for my D610, I currently have a UV filter on it and I do see some differences when I have it on and when I dont have it on.. Some people say with DSLR's you dont need it as much as a film SLR.. So my question is should I order the HD2 Protector Filter which is multi coated or the UV version of the HD2 filter? Thanks!!!

You say you can see a difference with and without the filter. Does having the filter produce a "pleasing" difference to your eye?

If you are noticing image degradation with the filter then you have to balance the degree of degradation vs using a higher quality protective filter vs the risks of not using a filter at all (which for many applications are pretty small).

If you feel that the UV filter improved your images, then I would encourage you to perform a controlled experiment with and without the UV filter. Don't have to post the results, but you should try to be objective.

Most of the time I only use filters for creative reasons--a polarizer, ND filter, or color enhancing filter. Less commonly I'll use a protective filter if the environment is a little toxic. For most of what I shoot, I don't feel a "protective" filter is needed. As others have stated, a hood is often a better choice or just shooting with your lenses naked.

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I always use a UV filter, and always have (unless, as with the Nikon 14-24, it's impossible).

When I was in the field in the South Pacific, for example, I had mud, dirt, rain, pig snot, blood, dog sneezes, sap, clouds of insects . . . all liable to be flying around when I was shooting. The filters made it easy to clean all this crud from the front of the lens. Better to clean a filter with what's on hand, sometimes just a t shirt, than to try cleaning the front element of a lens. If you mess up the filter, put on another one.

And even here, where I lead a more restrained life, I routinely get into situations where stuff's flying around.

What I'm saying is that "protection" is more than just keeping something from damaging the lens. Sometimes that filter makes it possible to keep shooting.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
But your use/experience is far from the typical photographer's everyday shooting experience In extreme conditions, take extreme precautions. But when there is no compelling to put a piece of glass in front of the lens.....don't.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Late here, but,

My suggestion,
I only use filters in harsh environments,
IMHO, the best option is one the Hoya Protector filters

FWIW, great idea when champagne is flying and is there is a chance of salt spray
getting on the lens
...........Gary

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
During the day you won't notice anything. At night, a filter will give you problems. I've tested B+W MRC clears and Hoya clear Pro's. Do your own testing.

If you want filtering, you don't need it with digital. If you want protection, a hood. If you want more protection, keep the lens cap on. If you're nervous without a filter, don't hold a camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.